Tyler Thomas to race POWRi Midgets at Brownstown, Macon, Ill.

Tyler Thomas to race POWRi Midgets at Brownstown, Macon, Ill.

Tyler Thomas will drive the American Racing Custom Wheels Spike-Esslinger in the POWRi Lucas Oil National Midget Series at quarter-mile Fayette County Speedway in Brownstown, Ill., Friday (May 15) and at the one-fifth mile Macon (Ill.) Speedway on Saturday.

The 19-year-old from Collinsville, Okla., won at Macon in 2012 for his second POWRi National Midget victory. Thomas has a second-place and two 10ths in seven career starts at Macon. He was 13th in his only start at Fayette County in 2012.

Thomas has finished second in his last two POWRi events, May 1 at Valley Speedway in Grain Valley, Mo., and May 2 at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo. He was seventh in the POWRi race at Jacksonville (Ill.) Speedway on April 24. Thomas, who is running a partial POWRi season, is fifth in points although hes started only three of six events.

Im really excited about the rest of the season, Thomas said. We have seemed to figure out the new car and shock package pretty quickly and, hopefully, we will get that win pretty soon. Im looking forward to going back to Brownstown. We had a great run in 2012 without a good result to show for it. Its always a fun track that gets slick with two grooves. Hopefully, Mother Nature will allow us to get back to racing this weekend, especially at Macon, always another exciting place.

Thomas and his father and crew chief Brian Thomas are in their first season with the Spike chassis.

I have to thank American Racing Custom Wheels, Spike and Advanced Racing Suspensions for really stepping up our midget program this year, Tyler Thomas said. I am more excited about midget racing right now than I have been in a while.

Tyler Thomas will race the American Racing Custom Wheels Spike-Esslinger at Fayette County Speedway in Brownstown, Ill., Friday and Macon (Ill.) Speedway Saturday..

Archived