Grand stock

.Every one was asking what cam can they run at ccs and ccs came up with a max numbered cam they chose for those who replaced a cam they needed or wanted to replace ...the 390-410. was a good cam with out going over board .it is the cam used in the 327 motors back in the 60.s and as for what i have looked into it was never used in any other motor than the 327 .. for cam argument sake is not a stock cam for 305 , 350 ,or 400 s but is chevy to chevy but that also is an argument case there ..later model 350s have larger and smaller cams .so where do you go ..make every one happy and put them on one cam .... as for name brand cams ..some folks wont spend the money on over the counter parts .figure its cheaply made and they could be right .not made in the usa is a good clue ..... and some know you can order a cam with those numbers in mind but with added or subtracted center lines and such .that could be the reason for the vac rule i am sure ..other wise you would not need that vac rule if all would have to buy the cams from one distributor only..FOR THE MOST PART cts has a close class they are doing a good job at trying to keep every one close ..ccs is doing the same .

Best thing CCS did last year was allow the dirt cars to run STS rules with the exception of having to run street tires and no wheel spacers. We had 15-18 cars each race.

I know CTS is a different situation and the class is already close enough in competativeness to have good racing. The only reason the 88 ran away is because I had problems after getting wrecked in corpus and bent some suspension stuff we didnt find till it was too late.

You would think a 4 barrel would be stronger than a 2 barrel but who knows. Guess there's a lot of factors there.

well 500 cfm to about 850 for the quad .. the problem with quads s off the turn sputter or bog and it is a pain to clear that up and some say you cant .i have ...the 500 will let you control the power off with out the bog and most cases pull better off .but that quad will eat that 500 up on long tracks if someone has the bog cleared up ..you got a good running quad a 500 will have a hard time keeping up ..we tried both on the 8 and gave the 500 back ..

I will not call out specifically which cars had headers, which ones obviously had aftermarket cams and which ones where obviously running non-stock displacement motors but I would imagine everyone here is on the same page as far as this all goes. I have no issue with everyone running their home-tracks rules as I also have no issue with guys essentially "running what they brung". This is a class where you have people running everything from injected 281CID motors to carbed 355CID and that is very cool but everyone doesn't seem to be on the same page.

The frustration I have heard with this class is that there is a car or two that had a tendency to run away and hide from the remainder of the group. Shocks and springs are one thing but when one car can start at the back, race to the front, get sent to the back then race back to the front again I suspect there is something else going on.

As far as computer controlled cars the LT1 has an obvious advantage within the rules but no-one runs an LT1 car regularly, the only other injected motor I see is the 4.6L "mod motor" which gives up a full 69CID to the SBC cars, I doubt the Mod-Motor cars are going to be the wave of the future.

I seriously doubt ANY car in the Grandstock class is 100% legal to the letter of the rules at any track and I again don't have an issue with that but it does make it an interesting conversation when it comes time to disqualify someone for one issue or another.

Hell I doubt any car is 100% legal lol. Ya I see what you're saying about one car driving away from everyone and some don't like drivers who are multiple Snowball Derby winners driving in an "entry level" or lower level class either but that's a different debate. Think every track and most classes seem to have that one car to beat every night.

I don't think anyone would have an issue if Jimmie Johnson shows up and wants to race as long as his car isn't running a 10:1 358 that spins 8k RPM. CTS is a different deal as the track is much more about handling than power but if there's a GrandStock that is a competitive Charger at SAS then mmmmmmaaaaybe that car needs a hood pin pulled to see what's up? I haven't heard a single GrandStock driver ask for anything unreasonable, they seem to just want to be judged by the same ruler.

What is a hood pin? :blink:

Hood pin? The part that holds the hood on locking it in place. I'll use it in context! "Did bob inspect the motor on Franks car?" ... "No, said he didn't want to pull the hood pins out". :lol:

yep that four second delay would get him before he got em all pulled .

Archived