Grand stock

Based off what I found on the web the 88 Monte came standard with a 5.0 liter/305. The way I'm reading the rules the car has to have the factory size motor in it so I just wanna make sure I'm putting the right motor in. Or is there something Im not reading?

You can run a 454 if you want, and you'll probably have a slower time than the Sport Compacts. I could offer you all the suggestions in the world BUT it could all be bad advise. You need to set the car up for what works best for you and your track, it may not come overnight or even in a race or two but it will come as you get to know the track and what works for your car.

Nick Holt has seminars teaching you how to learn the good stuff about your car and tracks.

Just remember 3 things - low, left, lite,.

Good luck...

Id offer more but im going to be in a learning curve myself with my new Regal so im starting fresh myself.

I was thinking about trying to build a car that could run at Cottonbowl in the CBS Stock class and the CTS Grand Stock classes. I wasn't sure if CTS would let a late 80s gbody run with a 350. Sounds like they will. I always wondered why there wasn't any gs running in the Grand Stocks. I think there was a mid 70s Monte that ran last year.

CBS states Open Chamber with 2bbl.

Until I move, this is all probably daydreaming anyway. With all the rain we have been having I might get more use out of a Boston Whaler.

For what it's worth the grandstocks aren't teched heavily at all. The class specifies stock motors with stock cams, I would be surprised if any of the SBC cars have stock cams as they all sound pretty healthy. The G-body cars run 350's (which they didn't come with), a full 3/4 of the cars have aftermarket/Z28/marine intakes, some of the cars run 8" wheels, I've seen cars with headers, most of the cars have racing springs, etc. The only disqualification recently was a car running OEM replacement springs instead of air-springs which certainly wouldn't have been an issue except they where still red (Eibach makes the springs to convert that car to standard metal springs).

The racing in the class is pretty hard-nosed, I would suggest bumpers a-kin to something you'd see in a Madmax movie.

I had a stock intake on my green 8 last year. The 8 inch wheels were adapted into the rules and the rules did not say 8 inch wheels were not allowed. The rules stated "7 inch wheels allowed" did not say anything about not being able to run 8 inch wheels. I did call Chris before we brought the car up the previous year to make sure it was ok to come race since i was running under CC Speedway rules and was given the ok

Josh, do you have a copy of the CCS rules for the bomber class? I know some guys are running CCS rules for the bombers but I haven't been able to figure out what is allowed? From what I can tell; 8" wheels, non-stock intakes, headers, locked rearends, aftermarket cams and racing springs are the highlights but I'm curious as to what else?

CCS are supposed to have stock intakes, stock exhaust manifold, no headers, no racing cams (I thought). Racing springs I think are ok or that may be a STS rule but stock shock and stock locations. You can lock rear end and can run 8" wheels. With limited dates at CCS, they don't tech very hard on Bombers either.

THE grand stock class is in a funny spot right now ... you have cars from the dirt track with rules for those cars .you have ccs cars with another set of rules .then you have fuel injected cars with programs being changed with a push of a button which can not be checked unless the track pays out the back side for equipment to even check for that ..so with that said chris has his hands full and doing what he can to keep it close , i dont know of any car that ran headers unless that is a factory stock option only ...

Top shelf. ill have to go back over the rule but as i understand ccs rule has a max number of lift and duration with a vac rule ..so there fore it is not a stock cam ..

Maybe, I know STS has max lift and a vacuum pull rule and CCS allowed their rules too. What I understood, the lift was low enough to be a "stock" or "stock like" cam but I could be wrong. I know starting next year, 450 is max lift and think the vacuum rule is 15 at 1000 RPMs

Per ccs website Only steel hydraulic camshafts of stock size will be allowed. Valve lift and duration must remain stock for that engine. Chevrolet will be .390 intake and .410exhaust. Only OEM stock type timing gears and chain allowed. Must be OEM stock camshaft. NO AFTERMARKET CAMS WILL BE ALLOWED. BOTTOM LINE> ENGINES MUST REMAIN STOCK! NO EXCEPTIONS! Must Pull 16 inches vacuum at 1000 rpms

CCS cam rule kind of contradicts itself though. With what nowrench said, it was said that we can run comp cams or isky cams and racing brands like that. Not a shot at CCS, but just an observation that more than just myself have spoken about before. CCS vacuum rule is 16" at 1000rpm I believe.

At last years drivers meeting for the bombers we also agreed on allowing aluminum reduction pulleys.

The old grand stock rules did not allow the Holley 4412 500cfm carbs on carburated cars. Quadrajets or stock carbs for that make and model. The rules now allow the Holley 4412 for grand stocks. I ran both carbs at CTS and the fresh box stock 4412 felt slow compared to the rebuilt oriellys quadrajet.

CCS and STS allow the phenolic adapter/spacer for the 4412 to fit the stock 4 barrell intake.

CTS does not allow the phenolic spacer, but must run a smaller mr gasket style spacer if you run the 4412.

Im in no way a part of CTS obviously so I'm sure Chris can clear a few of these statements up if he feels the need too.

Archived