New surface at Plymouth Speedway produces more competitive racing

New Surface Produces More Competitive Racing

By: Anita Soltis

(Plymouth, IN) The second week of racing on new clay surface at Plymouth Speedway had heat and feature races going to the last lap to determine the winner.

John Rhoads and Bob Bourff battled all throughout the Walmart Thunder Stock race - often times running side-by-side for the lead. Rhoads was able to keep out front for most of the race until the last lap when Chad McLean spun in front of Rhoads coming out of turn two. Rhoads had no choice but to check up which allowed Bourff to pass him on the back stretch. Bourff was scored as the winner, but an engine infraction disallowed his podium finish. Rhoads was credited with the win with Keith Crissinger in second and Danny Dykuizen in third.

I knew he was there and I tried to keep him in my rear view mirror. It was a great race, said Rhoads.

David Short was able to gather a second consecutive win in the WTCA Super Streets. Short started fifth and quickly started to work on the leader, Calvin Peek, Jr. The interval between the No. 88 of Peek and the No. 15 of Short continued to shrink as lapped traffic played a part after the halfway point. By lap 11, Peek bobbled and Short was able to get the lead on lap 11 on the back stretch. Peek attempted to work on Short to get the lead, but couldnt get it done. Short picked up the win with Peek in second and Roger Duszynski in third.

Im thankful to the track for getting the show in tonight before the rain returned, commented Short. The staffs dedication is a big factor in my choice in racing at the Playground of Power.

The Swan Lake Resort UMP Modifieds had five fast cars who all wanted the lead and were clustered together at one point during the race for that top spot. Dylan Woodling was a powerhouse at the beginning of the 20-lap feature but Frank Marshall gave him a run for position throughout the contest. What they didnt count on was Todd Sherman coming up through the field. Sherman used the outside groove to move from sixth place to the lead in 16 laps. He had to get by usual front-runners Jamie Lomax, Derek Losh, Woodling and Marshall. In the meantime, those drivers just mentioned were all bunched up for position. at the time the checkered flag flew. Sherman was able to come away with the win, Marshall in second and Lomax in third.

Due to impending weather, a podium interview was not conducted.

The Dickies Restaurant 600 Open Sprints found a familiar face on top of the podium. The 2013 champion Garrett Saunders got the early lead after starting fourth and did not look back. Chad Hartzell was able to stay status quo during the feature in the second place, moving up two spots from last week. Jason Montel grabbed the third place spot on the podium, slipping a spot from last weeks finish.

Thank you to John Godfrey from Spike Chassis for helping me get the win, plus Momo Engines for great power. Tim Engler tuned the car to its winning form. My family is always supporting me and I thank them for everything. The new clay was great tonight, said Saunders.

The Bane-Welker Cyber Stock feature was rain-shortened. Nick Jenema was able to get to the lead right after Chris Hunter gave up the lead and pulled into the infield just prior to the caution for rain. The race was called due to rain. Jenema was credited with the win with Hunter in second and Jason Alderden in the third spot.

The Sprints on Dirt will visit the Playground of Power next week to compliment the regular features. You wont want to miss how these drivers will maneuver their Winged Sprints around the new clay at Plymouth Speedway. Hot laps begin at 6 p.m. and racing is at 7 p.m. ET. For more information, visit www.plymouthspeedway.net.

###

Archived