Jay Fogleman set for PASS South at Kingsport’s Daniel Boone Classic

Jay Fogleman Set For PASS South Return At Kingsport’s Daniel Boone Classic

CHARLOTTE, NC (May 5) – Two-time Pro All Stars Series (PASS) National Champion, Jay Fogleman, will make his return to the driver’s seat for this Friday night’s Daniel Boone Classic at Kingsport Speedway. Friday night’s 125 lapper at Kingsport will mark the first time Fogleman has sat behind the wheel in competition since March, 2014 at the PASS South Super Late Model season opener at Greenville-Pickens Speedway. The 2013 PASS South Super Late Model Champion will join his son, Tate, who currently sits third in the standings as the two Durham, NC drivers prepare for Friday night’s first trip for the series to Kingsport Speedway.

“I’m really excited to be racing at Kingsport with Tate and the PASS South guys this weekend,” says Fogleman. “It’s hard for me to even believe, but I haven’t raced at Kingsport since the late 1990’s when I was driving a Late Model Stock car. So, this will be a challenge for me and all the guys, but I can’t wait for the fans of that area to see our Super Late Models put on a great show.”

Although it will be the first time the PASS South Super Late Models, PASS Pro Late Models, and KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series have ever tackled the challenging 3/8 mile concrete speedway, it will not be the first time the Daniel Boone Classic has ever been contested. Newport Speedway, another tough speedway in East Tennessee, held the first three runnings of the Daniel Boone Classic from 2008-2010. Jay Fogleman donned the traditional coonskin cap the first two years the race was held and Ryan Blaney captured a hard fought checkered flag at Newport, most recently, in 2010.

“Yeah, it was pretty neat to get those coonskin caps at Newport and I sure would like to start a new tradition with my third one this weekend at Kingsport,” said Fogleman. “Looking back on those races, I was still fairly new to PASS and Super Late Model racing, in general, and those wins in the Daniel Boone Classic kind of set us on our way in this type of racing.”

Jay Fogleman will not be the only veteran in Friday night’s PASS South Super Late Model action at Kingsport Speedway. Former track champion, Wade Day, and 2003 UARA-STARS Late Model champion, Lee Tissot, will both be making their first PASS South Super Late Model starts of the season at Kingsport Speedway Friday night. Both Day and Tissot raced with Fogleman in the now defunct Hooter’s Pro Cup Series. Day’s one and only PASS South victory came right down the road from Fogleman’s home in Durham, NC in the 2006 Orange Blossom Special. Fogleman knows that Day and Tissot will be hard to beat thanks to their extensive knowledge of Kingsport Speedway.

“I’m looking forward to racing with Wade [Day] and Lee [Tissot] again,” said Fogleman. “The PASS guys might have a slight advantage with their knowledge of Super Late Model race cars, but Wade and Lee definitely have a big advantage when it comes to Kingsport Speedway and what it takes to win there.”

In addition to the trio of veterans, current points leader, Zane Smith, and fellow championship contenders Tate Fogleman, Jody Measamer, and Jimmy Doyle will each be seeking their first wins of the season. Second year drivers Matt Craig and Trey Jarrell will also be in action, as well as veteran AJ Frank, who will be making his first career PASS South Super Late Model start Friday night at Kingsport.

Action begins on Friday, May 8 with pit gates opening at Kingsport Speedway at Noon, rotating practice for the PASS South Super Late Models, KOMA Unwind Modifieds, PASS Pro Late Models, Legends, and Flathead Fords starting at 2 PM, followed by qualifying at 6 PM, and feature racing at 7:45 PM. PASS South Super Late Model and PASS Pro Late Model entry forms for the Daniel Boone Classic can be found at ProAllStarsSeries.com.

The Pro All Stars Series is recognized as North America’s premier sanctioning body for asphalt Super Late Models and boasts such marquee events as the legendary AIM Recycling Oxford 250 Presented By Kenny U-Pull at Oxford Plains Speedway and PASS South’s Easter Bunny 150 at the historic Hickory Motor Speedway. For technical information concerning all PASS divisions please send questions to passracing@roadrunner.com. For media or marketing questions, please contact Alan Dietz at 704-231-2039 or alandietzpass@live.com. And, don’t forget to “Like” the Pro All Stars Series on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @PASSSLM14 to keep up with breaking news as it happens.

Archived