Tyler Thomas to race ASCS Warrior Sprints

May 4, 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Tyler Thomas to race ASCS Warrior Sprints, POWRi Midgets in Missouri triple-event weekend

Coming off a weekend with back-to-back second-place finishes in POWRi Lucas Oil National Midgets and a fourth in Speedway Motors ASCS Warrior Sprints, American Racing Custom Wheels driver Tyler Thomas of Collinsville, Okla., will take on the challenge of three race tracks in Missouri hes never raced on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The 19-year-old Thomas will make his second start in the Jeff Smith-owned Maxim 360 sprint car in ASCS Warrior on Friday at quarter-mile Callaway Raceway in Fulton, Mo. Thomas finished fourth in his debut for Smith in ASCS Warrior last Saturday at Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, Mo., in his 11th winged sprint car race.

Thomas will race Saturday in the POWRi National Midgets at three-eighths mile Saint Francois County Raceway in Farmington, Mo., and will drive Smiths ASCS Maxim 360 sprinter in an unsanctioned event at quarter-mile Double X Speedway in California, Mo.

Thomas was runner-up to Darren Hagen of Riverside, Calif., last Friday at Grain Valley, Mo., and last Saturday at Wheatland in POWRi National Midgets. They were his fifth and sixth events in the new Spike chassis.

Im pleased with our results in the midget, but ready for that win, Thomas said. We made huge gains on the car, so Im very excited moving forward with the season. We definitely had a winning car Friday at Grain Valley. I just wasnt in position to win the race and lapped traffic played a role big time.

We had a great car again at Lucas Oil. We went from sixth to second in the heat, which put us on the front row for the feature. We led some laps (three through eight), but Hagen was just a tick better than us.

Thomas started eighth in the 25-lap ASCS feature at Wheatland.

Im also very happy with my first run with Jeff Smith in the sprint car, Thomas said. I still have a lot to learn in those cars, but Im getting there. I started third and ran third in my heat race, which put me in the top eight redraw for the feature. I drew the number eight pill, so I started eighth and made my way to fourth. Im getting more and more comfortable each time, so Im excited to run more winged races. Ill be doing more racing with Jeff (Smith) in the future, so Im excited about that.

Tyler Thomas will race the American Racing Custom Wheels Spike-Esslinger at Saint Francois County Raceway in Farmington, Mo., on Saturday.

--30--

Archived