I would like to give a shout out

arob

At the South Texas Shootout there was a major accident in the Limited Mods.I would like to thank Express chassis for building safe cars for Dustin Butcher and Chuck Perry and to Western Flyer for Johnny Torres.I don't know the builder for Chris Rye but I thank them too.We fans love our racers and to see a wreck of that magnitude and 3 walk away and the other just dinged a bit deserves some recognition for those manufactures building a safe car.I hope someone identifies Rye's for us.I'm sure all manufactures do build safe,this incident was quite a test.

Thanks Arob,

I do believe that Kris's car was built by Tim Clonch, we have completely disassembled my car and it's heading back to Express this week to be rebuilt. I know Dustin's car was probably the worst of the bunch just because of the way everyone hit he had a few crucial bars damaged that may have deemed it totaled. not sure on the status of Kris's frame. I'll take this moment to tell everyone that was one of the hardest hits I've ever experienced. the wreck happened on the fastest part of the track and many people have seen lots of wrecks under the that flagstand.

I know people preach safety equipment all the time and I'm not one to get on people about their gear, it's your business, your life and your well being not mine. what I will tell you is that I've been wearing a head and neck restraint since this race two years ago when I was in a head on wreck in someone elses car which I had driven since mine had a mech failure in the "b". it wrenched my neck and I was sore for a week and had chiro treatment for awhile but finished the race. I was wearing my H&N Friday night and didn't really have any soreness at all ,I thought for sure by Monday I would be and received several calls asking how sore I was but really just had some brusing from the raceceiver around my ear and a bruise on the inside of my thigh from the lap belt.

Now lets talk seats that's a ultrashield vs containment halo seat in my car with the head supports,the impact was so hard it twisted the seat and the lower right thigh support is bent to the right also. what people need to look at is how they mount the seat. my seat had two 1/2" bolts thru the bottom attached to the tabs welded to the frame and a single 1/2" bolt thru the center of the back welded to the frame the one in the back had a gusseted tab about three inches long and it was twisted. under regular instances it probably would have been fine but it acted like a pendulum. the seat did it's job in my eyes and I've talked with express about maybe adding an additional mount in the back. but yes kudos go out to not only Shane@ Express But also Curtis at Western Flyer and Tim Clonch as well for giving us all a safe chassis to race with. Everyone says safety equipment is expensive and your right it is but your life is more valuable to your loved ones! skip a race, sit out a month whatever it takes but make sure you have good equipment and take care of it! Sorry for the long post. i'll try and post some pic's of the seat when I get a chance.

That's why we didn't race our pure stock at this race look back at our video from the havoc and slow it down when he scrapes the wall that 1/2 second scrape was enough for us between new helmet Hans and seat $2000 I'm looking for sponsor money for this but not having any luck but we will not race again with out!!! I encourage all fellow racers to watch the video and see we saw it as he's only 15 and has his life ahead of him but then again also think of it as I'm primary bread winner then find a way to buy it!!!

Archived