SOS Classics Rules

I have been working on the rules for this class and here is a draft. Please read and give feed back so that I may get everything documented as needed. The one thing that was asked for was roller rockers instead of roller tip rockers. I left this draft with the roller tip rockers in it. As part of the rules discussion on here please make a comment on the use of roller tip vs roller rocker and your preference.

2015 SOS Classic Rules

1. Weight Rule – 3100 lb. min. w / driver and 107.5 inch wheel base min. Refer to Allowances below for any possible weight penalties that will be added or deducted to the initial 3100 lb. base.

2. Chassis Rules for Front – Must run stock clip, stock style steering box, tie rods, center link, and the lower control arms must be in stock position, the upper control arm mounts can be relocated and can be made of strap steel. IMCA style upper arms are ok. No aluminum shocks allowed. Weight jacks ok. Any steel racing spring or ball joint allowed. No tubular front clips allowed. Quick Steering is allowed. Refer to Allowances for shock options.

3. Front Shock Rules - The following shocks are the only shocks allowed with no weight penalty. AFCO K Series, Doetsch Tech Stock Shocks, Pro SS Stock Shocks, QA1 EC Series. Shocks must be stock mounted to not include a weight penalty. No aluminum shocks, no shock that requires a reservoir, no adjustable shocks. If you are running any other type of racing shock, refer to Allowances.

4. Chassis Rules for Rear – Any factory rear end is allowed including floaters. Aftermarket trailing arm brackets are allowed however you must use the factory lower trailing arms and length. Front and rear weight jacks are legal. Coil spring cars must retain factory frame to the rear end housing and retain stock location of lower and upper trialing arm chassis mounts. Tubular rear clips will be allowed but will carry a weight penalty, Refer to Allowances. Leaf spring cars must retain the factory location of the front leaf spring mount including the chassis mount height. Front leaf spring mount location has a tolerance of .5 inches from factory location on both left and right locations. Front leaf spring brackets are only allowed one hole per side, any additional mounting holes must be welded up so they can’t be used. No Chrysler leaf springs. Adjustable shackles or weight jacks are allowed on back leaf spring mount only. Any steel stock mount, nonadjustable, non rebuildable racing shock. Refer to Allowances for 3 link option.

5. Rear Shock Rules - The following shocks are the only shocks allowed with no weight penalty. AFCO K Series, Doetsch Tech Stock Shocks, Pro SS Stock Shocks, QA1 EC Series. Shocks must be stock mounted to not include a weight penalty. No aluminum shocks, no shock that requires a reservoir, no adjustable shocks. If you are running any other type of racing shock, refer to allowances.

6. Driveline – Automatics must have a working forward and reverse gear. 10 inch min. working converter. Manuals must have a steel scatter shield. 10.5 inch clutch min. No mini clutches allowed. No traction control of any type. Only factory standard transmissions allowed. Listed below are legal transmissions and the legal gears. The driveshaft must be painted white. Stock Transmission Gear Ratios Saginaw 3 Speed 1st 2nd 3rd 0 line 2.85 1.68 1.OO 1 line 2.54 1.5O 1.OO 2 lines 3.11 1.84 1.OO 3 lines 3.5 1.89 1.OO Borg Warner T-16 1st 2nd 3rd 2.86 1.72 1.00 Saginaw 4 Speed 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 0 line 2.84 2.01 1.35 1.OO 1 line 2.54 1.8O 1.44 1.OO 2 lines 3.11 2.2O 1.47 1.OO 3 lines 3.5 2.47 1.65 1.OO Muncie 4 Speed 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 0 line 2.56 1.91 1.48 1.OO 1 line 2.2O 1.64 1.28 1.OO 2 lines 2.52 1.88 1.46 1.OO T-10 and Super T-10 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 0 line 2.43 1.61 1.23 1.OO 1 line 2.64 1.75 1.33 1.OO 2 line 3.42 2.28 1.46 1.OO 3 line 2.88 1.91 1.33 1.OO

7. Brakes - Disc brakes are allowed. Min. of (3) working brakes. Proportioning valves allowed but not within drivers reach while driving. Aftermarket pedals legal, dual master cylinders legal.

8. Appearance - Car must have a factory recognizable appearance. Stock, remanufactured and homebuilt steel or aluminum body panels are allowed. Truck, El Camino, Cadillac’s, Station wagons, any full size car from factory is legal. No compact bodies. Rear spoiler on the deck lid cannot be taller than 6 inches, no longer than 12 inches on the sideboards. Spoiler cannot exceed width of car. Driver cockpit can be enclosed. Car appearance will be heavily scrutinized. Refer to Allowances for stock bodied cars.

9. Engine - No roller cams allowed. Must pull 15 inches of vacuum at 1000 rpm or .480 max lift at rocker arm. Any cast iron head 72cc minimum No porting, polishing or gasket matching. Roller tip rockers are allowed, no full roller rockers. Holley 4412 carb only. Must meet factory specs. No carb spacers allowed only a 1 inch adapter. Flat top pistons only, must use steel connecting rods; crankshafts can be steel but must be stock stroke. 362 cubic inch max.

10. Wheels and Tires - (1) bead lock is allowed on RR only. Tires maybe Sipped and Grooved. No softening or soaking allowed. You can run any Dirt Boss tire

11. Ignition and Battery - Only (1) 12 - Volt battery may be used. Any HEI style distributor is allowed. MSD ignition boxes are allowed. No traction control devises of any type. Must have battery kill switch.

12. Intake and Carb. - Legal intake manifolds, Weiand part #GM 7547, 7547-1, Edlebrock #2701, or GM Stock non Marine cast iron intake. Refer to ALLOWANCES for intake options.

13. Misc. - Motor setback is #1 sparkplug even with upper ball joint. No Alcohol. No electric fuel pumps,

14. ALLOWANCES –

* 50 lb. weight penalty for 3 link rear suspension cars.

* 50 lb. weight penalty for tubular rear leaf suspension cars.

* 50 lb. weight penalty for using any shock that is not listed in the general shock rules. Any steel rebuildable shock, any steel relocated shock, any steel Bilstein shock.

* 50 lb. weight penalty for using any high rise aluminum intake or marine manifold.

* 25 lb. weight penalty for any car w a non-stock firewall or partial removed floor pan. Example: Removing back seat fire wall and floor is legal if car is enclosed. If any part of the firewall or front seat floor is removed you will receive a 25 lb. weight penalty.

* 50 lb. weight break for all stock panel bodied cars including hood, trunk and roof.

* 40 lb. weight penalty in front of firewall for any car running Vortec Chevy heads.

You are responsible for the min. weight of your car depending on what additional allowances are on your car. All cars start at 3100 lbs. w driver. Add your weight penalties up and together you will have the total weight you must be after the race. Example: if you run a 3 link car w/ qa1 shocks, high rise intake manifold, sheet metal body, w only a portion of a firewall then your weight penalties will add up to 200 lbs. Base Weight Rule 3100 lbs. + 200 lbs. in allowances = 3300 lbs. is your new min. weight We reserve the right to eliminate any gray area rule that is exposed by a competitor at any time.

15. Hot Stock Trucks - These trucks will be allowed to run under the TRP rules. As the engines need to be rebuilt and tires need to be replaced then they should become compliant with the SOS Classics rules. The goal is by 2016 all trucks will be following these rules.

NOBody cheats in dirt track racing !!!!!

They play in the grey areas.

Everybody knows that!!!

So with that being said how many of you are honest enough to say you are playing in the grey areas!

Andy that's cause your car is gray! I play in the red!!!!

here is my 2 cents , im 100% good with the roller rockers the roller tip rockers turn black about mid season and only about 50 buck cheaper than full rollers . im good with everything else plus the trucks are allowed to run them . if you are looking for a super stock all of them are in the shoot out series just on G60s

Cooter I found out why our car is so slow

I have 3 number 7 s for our car number

They catch wind because they are straight up and down

Solution I'm going to put new numbers at a slant so the air will deflect!!

Do you or anyone else think this will work input please.

A big P.S. they don't make a wrench big enough to fix the loose nut behind the steering wheel!!

Thanks

Jackpot (C.B. handle Nathan is Big Dog his dad is Top Dog)

Cooter I found out why our car is so slow

I have 3 number 7 s for our car number

They catch wind because they are straight up and down

Solution I'm going to put new numbers at a slant so the air will deflect!!

Do you or anyone else think this will work input please.

A big P.S. they don't make a wrench big enough to fix the loose nut behind the steering wheel!!

Thanks

Jackpot (C.B. handle Nathan is Big Dog his dad is Top Dog)

If you are looking for less wind drag I suggest changing from the 777 to the --- the wind will slip right by, the mud may stack up on the top though. Are you might just try beveling the leading edges of the numbers. LMOA

P.S. I have a wrench for that loose nut (its called a monkey wrench) you can find them in the tool shed at the zoo, be sure to return it after repairs are done. (my c.d. handle was crazy cooter)

Archived