Royal Purple Raceway (old HRP in Baytown) Calls It Quits

CC57

I posted on the Royal Purple Raceway FB page "Beyond the 600 and possibly the 2015Tx Grand, will the Bullring be open for racing in 2015?"

Their reply: "No weekly racing in 2015 at the Dirt Track"

I'm personally sorry to hear that. Probably one of the nicest facilities in this part of the country. (yes the track could use some work).

Cotton Bowl, here I come :) (and some TALMS events)

We've been hearing "special events only in 2015" for a while now from folks in that neck of the woods. They really got hit hard on some of the internet pages that were frequented by those who had issues with the track. I invited the track to utilize Lone Star Speedzone to talk things over with those that had issues that needed a moderated environment, but, I'm sorry to say, I never heard back.

I sure hope that place comes back to life soon.

Nick

I really loved the USMTS races there, but hated the fact that even though they were practically giving the tickets away; only about 200 people tops would show up on the grandstand side.

Last Saturday at the Texas Grand there was a good grandstand crowd. Probably 70% full. And those stands hold quite a few people

I've never been to the Texas Grand so I can't say what the quality of show is. I've seriously looked up while taking pictures during a 60+ USMTS and 80+ Limited Mod race and shook my head in disbelief.

The one thing that's never been tried there that would probably work is for all the Houston-area tracks to go special events only and work togther on a schedule.

Hats off to Randy & Theresa Waller though. They just keep plugging along over there at Gator. New owners at Battleground now. Bronco appears to be a failed experiment at the moment. Let's see what they've learned in year two.

Race at Golden Triangle Raceway Parl in Beaumont THIS SATURDAY Nov 15th at 5PM! Brian Borom Memorial.

Honestly in my opinion HRP is too far off the beaten path for many Racers and Fans. I was spoiled quickly driving to Big H in 20 minutes my first year.

That's always been the advantage of Big H, they have the best location. You could race cardboard boxes there and that place would still be popular. If they pulled up the pavement next week that's where most dirt racers would end up.

The Grand is a popular race in Houston. In past years I made it a point to attend.

Honestly in my opinion HRP is too far off the beaten path for many Racers and Fans. I was spoiled quickly driving to Big H in 20 minutes my first year.

You're kidding, right?

It's less than a mile off of one of the busiest interstates in the USA, less than 20 miles from the center of the 4th largest city in the country.

Location isn't what is killing or has killed that track.

It's right at 50 miles from my driveway to that track. And I pass by Battleground on the way to HRP. If both were open, I would probably still go to HRP (especially if they went back to the old track layout).

And why would I choose HRP or BGS? Primarily the asphalt, well-lit pits

Well I'm sure that's fine for you, but I'll bet the majority of racers are closer to Big-H. Personally I won't drive over an hour to a track for any reason, except on the rare occasion for a Big Event or traveling. Besides HRP had a large following a few years ago and never recovered from closing the season early.

HRP needs to go Asphalt. They could probably get some good events and would become the primary NASCAR style track in Houston. Push those banks out as far as they will go, almost a half mile track. IMO! I can envision Craftsman Trucks and ARCA style cars & Asphalt Sprints tearing it up!! That would be an entire new Ballgame.

Archived