Tyler Thomas takes 2nd in stock car season finale, dives into ASCS

Nov. 4, 2014

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tyler Thomas takes 2nd in stock car season finale, dives into ASCS National Sprint Cars in Southwest

Tyler Thomas finished second last Saturday in the Late Model Pro 50-lap race at half-mile New Smyrna (Fla.) Speedway to complete his highly successful seven-event rookie stock car campaign. The 18-year old from Collinsville, Okla., dives straight into another relatively new type of racing, running in the Lucas Oil American Sprint Car Series National Division Friday (Nov. 8) at El Paso (Texas) Speedway Park and Saturday (Nov. 9) at Southern New Mexico Speedway in Las Cruces.

Thomas had a victory, four runners-up, a third and a fourth in stock cars at New Smyrna this season. It was an auspicious beginning in stock cars and on pavement. He closed with a performance that had him beaming about returning with Tim Russells team for SpeedWeeks at New Smyrna in February.

We did some things on the car in practice and found more speed, Thomas said. We ran our quickest times of the season in the first half of the race. We were a rocket ship, really going. We got a little loose at the end, but it was still pretty good. Every race we ran, we improved. The car got better and I got better. Im really excited about Speedweeks.

Thomas started on the outside of the front row at New Smyrna.

We led the first 10 or so laps and Daniel Keene passed us for the lead, Thomas said. We didnt have a yellow and we were so even that I couldnt get back past him. Every time we raced, it was between Rich Clouser, Daniel Keene and us. I wish we could try one more time to beat them.

Thomas has limited experience in the ASCS, which uses 360-cubic inch engines and has big wings. Hell be running on three-eighths mile El Paso and five-sixteenths mile Southern New Mexico for the first time.

Im excited, Thomas said. I love having more seat time in a sprint car. The cars have more horsepower than the midgets Ive run, but the biggest thing I have to get used to are the wings. I havent had enough seat time to get comfortable and get the hang of it. I really dont know what to expect.

Thomas will be driving for car owner and crew chief Robert Miller, an El Paso resident.

He knows what hes doing and thats (El Paso) his home track, Thomas said.

Thomas has driven in five ASCS races. He was in three nights of the Short Track Nationals at I-30 Speedway in Little Rock, Ark., in October, 2013, and finished second in a preliminary feature. He drove in two ASCS Gulf South races in Texas in early May and finished 12th at Battleground Speedway in Crosby, near Houston.

It will be good to get some more experience in an ASCS Sprint Car, Thomas said.

Archived