So.. what do you think of the NASCAR penalties from the 24-5 brawl?

NickHolt

In case you missed it, NASCAR has issued the following:

No. 24 and No. 5 teams punished for post-Texas incident

Daytona Beach, Fla. (Nov. 4, 2014) -- NASCAR has assessed penalties to crew members from the No. 5 and No. 24 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams for their involvement in post-race incidents on Nov. 2 at Texas Motor Speedway. In addition, the crew chiefs from those two teams also have been penalized.

Jeremy Fuller, a crew member with the No. 5 team along with Dwayne Doucette and Jason Ingle, crew members with the No. 24 team, each have been fined $25,000 and suspended from NASCAR through the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points races. All three were found to be in violation of:

• Section 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing

• Section 12-4.9: Behavioral penalty – involved in a post-race physical altercation with a driver on pit road

Dean Mozingo, a crew member with the No. 24 team, has been fined $10,000 and suspended from NASCAR through the completion of the next three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points races. He was found to be in violation of:

• Section 12-4.9: Behavioral penalty – involved in a post-race physical altercation with another crew member on pit road

Kenny Francis, crew chief of the No. 5 team, and Alan Gustafson, crew chief of the No. 24 team, have each been fined $50,000 and placed on NASCAR probation through the completion of the next six

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points races. They were found to be in violation of:

• Section 9-4A: Crew chief assumes responsibility for the actions of his team members

• Section 12-4.9: Behavioral penalty

"While the intensity and emotions are high as we continue through the final rounds of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, the actions that we saw from several crew members Sunday following the race at Texas are unacceptable," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR senior vice president/competition and racing development. "We reviewed the content that was available to us of the post-race incident along pit road, and identified several crew members who crossed the line with their actions, specifically punching others."

"We therefore have penalized four crew members as well as their crew chiefs, as they ultimately are responsible for members of their team per the NASCAR rulebook," Pemberton continued. "A NASCAR championship is at stake, but we can't allow behavior that crosses the line to go unchecked, particularly when it puts others in harm's way."

i agree with penalties, it was a brawl lots of camera people and quests caught in the middle, i saw one guy just swinging wildly, crazy. both jeff and brad had busted lips but i dont think they were punching. i think maybe a boxing ring at next race to settle man to man, let the drivers work it out in the ring. I WOULD HAVE STUCK MY CAR IN THAT HOLE FOR A CHANCE AT WIN AND MOVE ON TO CHAMPIONSHIP RACE BUT PROBABLY WOULD HAVE FELT REAL BAD LATER WHEN I FOUND OUT I CUT A COMPETITORS TIRE AND REALLY HURT HIS CHANCES. YOU CANT PLAN THAT STUFF IT HAPPENS PRETTY QUICK. JMO

i agree with bobby jack ..i would feel bad but leave an open and i am going through it . as for crew chiefs getting hammered //wrong ..jeff parked his car right beside the 2 and that made every one head that direction ..the 4 driver had stayed out of it and not push a driver back in the punches that had not been thrown yet should pay a price too ...he had nothing to do with what happened on the track yet got involed ........and nascar should be charged with section 12-1 for screwing the race formats concerning how a championship should be won ..... oh they already have i may say ...low fan count and tv ratings ....hit em in the pocket harder the rest of the year and next year .then maybe they will wise up and get back to what racing should be .

I took the entertainment value from it since it is a rare occurance. From a fan's pov only, it was entertaining. From the standpoint of protecting/promoting the sport, it seems the only detriment to me is the fact that everyone is getting punished but the drivers. That is the detriment to me. Some of the "what ifs" on the drivers have already been stated here so clearly they took part in the event, they should be punished in doing so. Before someone says, "the drivers are the draw of NASCAR," think of how many drivers/teams competing right now that have nothing to run for thanks to this new system and every few races you eliminate more. So NASCAR themselves have taken that key element out and when you threaten to do so more, this is what happens. When was NASCAR at its height? When EVERYONE ran the 36 races and the best, most consistent driver won the Championship. Sometimes it boiled down to two sometimes more but the Chase basically throws away 2/3 of the season then resets every other week. You don't win Championships with 4 good races, you win by being good or lucky all season.

nascar has said pushing and shoving is ok when they start landing punches then its over the limit. in our local racing we dont have paid crewchiefs to accept responsability so the driver is held accountable for team actions, in nascar they have well paid crewchiefs who are in charge of the team, most of the drivers just show up and drive, then go to the motorhome. i think the penalties are in line with what we have seen the last 2 years. at least brad didnt go demo derby with his car this time, i think he remebered he was on probation and had to stay in control

Brad had fresher tires and two laps to make something happen. He did not have to take it on the first turn. With fresher tires he would have had plenty of chances to pass Gordon and Johnson. The hole might have opened for a second but that doesn't mean you have to fill it right then knowing that the hole was going to close or was not wide enough to fit your car. Two laps to go?? Plenty of time with those tires.

Respectfully disagree.He is behind team cars and probably expected Johnson to do whatever it took to keep Bad Brad away from Gordon.Gordon also was class of the field most of the day.When the hole opened it was go time.Funny thing is I read an interview with Gordon at the beginning of the Chase that predicted driving styles that was exactly what happened.Bottom line Gordon should not had opened the door.As for Harvick he saw a chance to take two competitors out with one shove!If Gordon and Keselowski engaged they both might had been out of the Chase.

NA$CAR got what they wanted....ticket sales and tv ratings boost

Yep...and in true NASCAR form they waffle on the punishment (fines etc) You had Kevin with his push to Brad (and he did that AFTER he took his helmet off..WoW) and then Brad and Jeff trying to get after it. It did look like the fat lips probably came from elbows.

even with the newer tires I don't think brad had the car that jeff and jimmy had, so I think he had to take the shot. I will admit I am a brad k fan. I was a carl Edwards fan back when he and brad had their battles but I felt like brad learned some stuff then. I know he is no dale sr. but sr. wasn't out to make friends. I am not a sr. fan but I do like jr. but I was running 88 before jr.

something is really wrong when you have to go to fighting to fill the stands .the fight in 79 at daytona was just luck timing .and with the snow every where else folks stayed home and nascar got lucky there .....today they dont need a fight .just go back to what racing was built on after 79..innovative teams .more short tracks and get rid of the chase .pipe dream i know .

If I/you were running NASCAR what would I/you do? I would #1 Shorten all the races by 100 miles except for Talladega and Daytona.This would save $$$ for all involved and might keep fans awake the whole race. #2 Reduce the cookie cutter mile and half tracks.Most of these are quite boring and poorly attended.Would replace with more Richmond dates,a couple dirt events ,race the short tracks ARCA races and build a few 1/2 and 3/4 mile tracks .This could be done by selling off tracks like Kansas.The 1/2 and 3/4 milers could be used locally as well instead of sitting idle 360 days a year .

Archived