New engine break in?

hardheadted

I was wondering what kind of break in run is recommended for a new engine. I'm rebuilding our 4 cylinder this winter and need advise on getting the engine broke in and the best way to do it.. Any recommendations for oil, rpms, time whatever would really be appreciated.. Actually wanting to build two of them to teach Eric and learn more myself since it's been years for me to tear and engine down and rebuild it.

According to the guy that does the machine work on all my engine builds, use 2000 rpm's and run continuous for 45 minutes. Ensure that you are using an oil that is high in ZYNC and recommended for break in's. I always use the Joe Gibbs Break-in Oil. Upon completion of your break-in you can use that break in oil for one night of hot laps/racing then change it. Using this process, I have done numerous engines and haven't lost one yet.

****** IMPORTANT NOTE ******

When you assemble your engine, I would recommend using the LUCAS OIL STABLIZER on all parts that will have a rotating surface. This stuff is really sticky and won't muk up your oil like White Lithium does.

:ph34r: Cheers, Dennis :ph34r:

once the rings seat ...stand on it .its either going to go or blow dont baby it . lol.after practice and it is still running then slap your self on the back .yahooooooooooo... a racing motor aint like a street motor .. proper prepping the internal parts is a major factor ... crank .rods . block to piston clearance .find a highly trusted shop that cares about your motor and gives you the facts and options on what is your best course of action ,there are a few good ones racers use here but wont go into whos is the best on speedzone ...i never want to hear well i think its ok from a shop .either its good or not .

Another question. Anyone know of a really good place around Austin (within 50-75 miles or so) to take the block/head for machine work? Remember it's a 4 cylinder Hyundai engine not a v8 (yet) so Iwould want someone familiar with 4 cylinders.

a good shop it wont matter if it is one cylinder or ten ..reread my last post ...

Got cha!! I understand about the shops, one shop will work better for one person sometimes than another but both are good shops.. Remember who's building this motor so if we make it thru the first practice and there's no KABOOM I'm buying a round for the house!! :D

Ted are you and Eric stepping up to the Pro Sedans?

i believe he told me he was running one more season with cts..before he turns loose the beast on tps .. B).. that young man needs another season with that class .first year learning .second year kicking butt .the young man is smart he is learning fast and smartly ....he will be one to pay attention too next year ..his dad aint so bad either .he is learning and listening too every thing he can to help his son get to the top ..i see a great future for them ..

Half Mile, no we're running at least one full season in Sport Compacts.. I'm just rebuilding our engine over the winter due to it having 130k + on it now. It's a little tired. Thanks HiTech, when you're surrounded by people that know their stuff it's easy to learn..

its easier to help someone when you are asked a question and they dont stand there and say huh that cant be right . i dont think so .your wrong and argue with you over your answer .those are the ones who stay running in the back .who never learn ....a customer once asked me what i thought was wrong with his truck he could not get it to run right a chevy /after he told me the story i pointed out he needed a su 109 temp sensor he went huh .no way your wrong and spent $980 on parts he did not need ...two weeks later he came back handed me a $20 bought me a dr pepper and spent 12 bucks for that su 109 i loaned him the tool to change it out and walla running like new ....

Archived