GMS Racing Race Report: Las Vegas Motor Speedway‏

GMS Racing

Race Report

Joey Coulter Extends Top-10 Streak with 10th-Place Finish at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Joey Coulter and GMS Racings No. 21 Allegiant Travel Chevrolet Silverado team earned their third consecutive top-10 finish with a 10th-place finish in Saturdays Rhino Linings 350. The Miami Springs, Fla., driver started the race under the lights in Sin City in the eighth place. Coulter was running in the ninth position when the first of four caution flags were displayed on Lap 3, and maintained position as the caution flag was displayed, again, on Lap 15. The GMS Racing driver lined up in the 10th position for the restart, but was shuffled back to the 16th position by Lap 20. On Lap 32, the GMS Racing No. 21 Allegiant Travel Chevrolet team took advantage of a NASCAR mandated competition caution to visit pit road for two right-side tires and fuel. The 24-year-old driver then began to work his way through the field and on Lap 50 he was racing for the eighth position. The GMS Racing crew serviced the No. 21 machine with four tires and fuel during the caution period on Lap 57, positioning the white and blue machine in the eighth spot for the ensuing restart. Coulter remained in the top 10 as the handling of his Chevrolet Silverado transitioned from tight to loose while the field began green-flag pit stops. Coulter would assume the lead on Lap 109. Crew chief Jeff Stankiewicz called Coulter to pit road under green-flag conditions on Lap 110 for their last stop of the night for four tires, fuel and a track bar adjustment. As the run progressed, Coulter was able to regain momentum as he battled through traffic and crossed the finish line in the 10th position to earn his ninth top-10 finish of the season. He is now fifth in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) driver championship point standings.

Start 8 Finish 10 Laps Led 1

Joey Coulter Quote:

Even though most of our GMS Racing team is a little disappointed with our finish, I am really happy with the entire week in Las Vegas. Getting to spend time with the Allegiant Travel employees was a blast and seeing most of them at the race also was a big deal for everyone on the No. 21 and No. 23 Allegiant Travel teams.

As far as the race, we had a descent night. I wish there could have been a win for Allegiant Travel in their backyard, but a top 10 will work. Another positive is that we moved up a spot in the driver championship points, which puts us fifth now. I want to thank everyone at Allegiant Travel, again, for their support this weekend and I hope that they all enjoyed it as much as I did.

Spencer Gallagher Finishes 13th in Front of Hometown Crowd

Spencer Gallagher and the No. 23 Allegiant Travel Chevrolet Silverado team earned a 13th-place finish in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Rhino Linings 350 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The Las Vegas native started the 146-lap race from the sixth position and did not fall outside of the top 15, spending a majority of the race running in the top 10. Gallagher climbed to fifth position by the first caution period of the night on Lap 3, and the Harold Holly-led team opted to stay on track, so he restarted the race on Lap 6 in the sixth position. The caution flag was displayed again on Lap 15 just as the 24-year-old was shuffled back to seventh. Gallagher continued to maintain positioning in the top eight, all while battling a tight-handling Chevrolet, and before a NASCAR competition caution slowed the field on Lap 32. The No. 23 GMS Racing Chevrolet Silverado came to pit road for four tires, fuel and adjustments under the caution period, and as green-flag racing resumed, Gallagher recovered to seventh position by Lap 50. Under the fourth and final yellow flag seven laps later, Holly called Gallagher to pit road under caution on Lap 57 for four tires with an air pressure adjustment, as well as fuel. The GMS Racing driver lined up in the sixth position for the ensuing restart. As green-flag pit stops started, Gallagher radioed to his team that he wanted his No. 23 machine a little freer while in 11th position on Lap 100, so ten laps later, the team brought the No. 23 Allegiant Travel Chevrolet Silverado down pit road for a green-flag stop where they took four tires and fuel, and made a chassis adjustment. With laps winding down, Gallagher did not have enough time to get back to the front, resulting in a 13th-place finish for the Allegiant Travel team in his series debut at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Start 6 Finish 13 Laps Led 0

Spencer Gallagher Quote:

I am pretty sure my heart rate did not go down after the end of the qualifying session. We had a fast Allegiant Travel Chevrolet Silverado that qualified up front for the race!

We shot two rubbers out of the right-rear spring late in the race, which explains a lot. However, it was still a great night for my Allegiant Travel team. It was great to have the support of Allegiant Travel throughout the weekend with our GMS Racing team.

###

Archived