GMS Racing Race Report: Canadian Tire M/S Pk and DuQuoin

GMS Racing

Race Report

Joey Coulter Fights Back From Penalty to Finish 13th at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park

In his second career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) start at the Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, Joey Coulter and his GMS Racing team battled damage and a penalty before crossing the finish line in 13th position. Coulter had initially qualified on Row 8 in 15th place, but an incident during qualifying forced the GMS Racing team to start in the rear of the field for the Chevrolet Silverado 250. As the field took the green flag, Coulter started Sundays race from the 21st position, and within the opening laps of the 64-lap race, he had driven his way to the 18th-postion before a green-flag pit stop on Lap 9. Crew chief Jeff Stankiewicz elected to bring the 24-year-old in for fuel during a quick green-flag stop. As trucks continued to cycle through, Coulter was reminded to save tires while in 14th-place with 15 laps complete. Saving fuel during the long green-flag run, the Miami Springs, Fla. driver progressed through the ranks, working his way to 13th in the running order by Lap 30. Coulter then reported to his team that the No. 21 Allegiant Travel Chevrolet Silverado had a loose handling condition, so Stankiewicz called his driver down pit road on Lap 36, where the GMS Racing pit crew serviced the white and blue Silverado with four fresh tires and fuel. He sped exiting pit road and was ordered by NASCAR to serve a pass-through penalty the next time by, a penalty that dropped Coulter to 18th and a lap down to the leader. However, staying focused on the big picture, Coulter remained on course when the first caution flag waved on Lap 48, and he jumped into the top 15 as competitors made their way to pit road. Coulter was sitting in the lucky dog position when the caution came out and was rewarded the recipient. Under caution, Coulter went to pit road on Lap 50 for four tires and another splash of Sunoco fuel, and he restarted in 15th-place on Lap 52. When the field came back under yellow four laps later, Coulter had methodically raced his way to 13th-place, where he and his GMS Racing team battled until the end and crossed the finish line 13th-place.

Start - 15 Finish - 13 Laps Led - 0

Joey Coulter Quote:

It was a tough weekend for our No. 21 Allegiant Travel team, but sometimes thats what you get with racing in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Our GMS Racing team pushed through all of the issues that we had throughout the weekend, and we kept our string of top 15 finishes alive. I am looking forward to getting to Chicagoland Speedway to get this weekend behind us.

Grant Enfinger Earns the 'Blue Ribbon' at the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds

Grant Enfinger earned a memorable race win on Monday afternoon at the DuQuoin State Fairgrounds in his No. 90 Motor Honey/Casite, Allegiant Travel Chevrolet, occurring on only his fourth career ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards start on dirt as well as only his second start at the DuQuoin, Ill. facility. The Fairhope, Al. driver drove fiercely, leading 63 of 100 laps, and bounded into victory lane at the Magic Mile, winning for the second time for GMS Racing and earning his sixth victory of the season. Starting from the fourth position at the one-mile track, Enfinger was scored in the second position by the time the first caution flag waved on Lap 19. Enfinger, along with a majority of the leaders, elected to stay out. Posting some of the fastest lap times in the 30-car field, Enfinger took the lead on Lap 27. Under the Lap 50 caution, Enfinger brought his car into the pits to the attention of the Ryan Pickle London-led team for four tires, an air pressure adjustment, fuel and a track bar adjustment. Restarting from the second position, Enfinger took the back the race lead on Lap 57 and led the field until a Lap 81 restart after the third caution of the day. As the caution flag quickly waved again on Lap 83, the leader chose the inside position for the restart. On the final double-file restart on Lap 88, Enfinger was able to hold off Justin Boston as he reclaimed the lead and remained the race leader throughout the remainder of the 100-lap event. For Enfinger, this triumph solidified the Bill France Four Crown championship for the 2014 season.

Start - 4 Finish - 1 Laps Led - 63

Grant Enfinger Quote:

It took me a few laps to get my rhythm, but once I began to figure things out, I started driving it harder and gaining on those guys. Then once I got a little distance, I felt like I could be more consistent. As a whole, we really werent conserving much. We didnt back into this one; I think we earned it.

It was an unbelievable job by everyone at GMS Racing! I'm very blessed to be part of this team. The victory was definitely one of the highlights of my career - to pull one off in the dirt. Thank you to Honey/Casite, Allegiant Travel, WURTH USA, Portable Shade, and everybody that supports GMS Racing.

###

Archived