ASCS will go 40 For Shorty on Thursday Night

NickHolt

ASCS will go 40 For Shorty on Thursday Night

TULSA, Okla. (August 19, 2014) - Since 1952, Shorty Chambliss was a force to be reckoned with around the Mid-South. Driver, car-owner, and the man credited with starting the career of Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. at the age of 14, "The Short Man" as he was called by some, was called home on Monday, August 18, 2014.

Most recently, Shorty gave a helping hand to Howard Moore. A statement on Moore's website read:

"Mr. Shorty gave me by far the best support and opportunities while in the 360 Sprint Car class. Our Saturday morning breakfasts were the absolute best, and no one could tell a racing story like him. He was always the life of the party. I will be forever grateful for the friendship that we had. My heart aches tonight, but I'm so thankful that he is no longer suffering. The last thing he said to me was on Saturday and he told everyone in the room, 'That's my driver,'....what an honor to have such a great man support me. Mr. Shorty will be forever missed and we ask everyone to please keep his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers as they endure this trying time."

In honor of Shorty Chambliss, Thursday's Mid-South Showdown with the Lucas Oil American Sprint Car Series presented by MAVTV American Real will feature a 40 lap A-Feature event in honor of the legendary driver.

Event promoter Tony Bruce, Jr. commented on the increase in laps, saying it was only fitting to honor the man whose career began at the famed quarter-mile oval. As Bruce put it, "It just makes sense to honor the No. 40 with 40."

Thursday's Mid-South Showdown gets underway at 8:00 P.M. (CT) at the Riverside International Speedway. Tickets are available online at http://www.tbjpromotions.com or at the gate.

Archived