Austin Wayne Self finishes second at Lucas Oil Raceway

Austin Wayne Self finishes Second at Lucas Oil Raceway

Austin Wayne Self and the 22 AM Technical Solutions Dodge scored their highest finish of the 2014 season at Lucas Oil Raceway on Friday July 25th.

After qualifying 8th the team was confidently looking towards a top 10 finish. During first practice Austin utilized his time to get used to the track and develop the necessary rhythm for the short track. Austin learned the half mile and quickly became familiar with every detail of the track’s unique and abrasive surface.

Throughout second practice Austin provided feedback on how to make the car faster and sure enough by qualifying the 22 team had one of the fastest cars on track.

“Starting 8th was huge we knew we needed to move forward, but that was a good place to start.” –AWS

Near lap 20 Chad Bryant radioed in, “You’re doing a good job and finding a good rhythm.”

Throughout the race the team’s main concern was how tight the car was. Austin Wayne Self struggled with entry into 3, and near the final quarter finally got the car to turn and started making headway towards the top 5.

“ We had to work really hard for this one, there was nothing easy about it. We had to do a lot of blocking and strategic driving but I remembered what it’s like to be fast and race good. To race in front of my family and have a night like that, I couldn’t have asked for more.”

On lap 142 Chad Bryant came on the radio to say, "Whatever you're doing kid you're the fastest car on the track let's go get em hustle for me."

Throughout the cautions the team made adjustments that got the car exactly where they needed it. With 33 to go the 22 car had placed itself into P4, and in the final laps Austin reeled in P3 and scored a 2nd place finish. The passing efficiency exhibited by the 22 AMTS Dodge was the highest of any driver throughout the 200 lap feature.

In front of family and friends Austin not only gained his highest finish of the season, but he also acquired the Scott Rookie of the Race Award.

“I want to thank my entire team, Cunningham Motorsports, AM Technical Solutions- they have worked so hard to get me here and I am really thankful. We had a string of bad races, and we prayed for a good race and a way to turn around our season, and this was just what we needed. A second place finish was an incredible way to move forward, and now we want to build on this momentum.”- Austin Wayne Self

Archived