Old tracks

reederbuilt

You are probably referring to "Mazuma Speedway" which is listed as a 1/2 mile oval on SR 146. Mazuma was scheduled to open July 4th, 1948, but I have other reference that states it opened a little later. I only show it operating in that same year; if it has any history in the 50's, it is not documented anywhere i know to look.

The track evidently was built as kind of a multi use venue,; it was to hold racing for the classes of the time, as well as motorcycles; and advertised different stunt or thrill shows.

It had a point of contact named J.B Leweday of Galveston.

You have quite an obscure track there, reeder; there is not much information out there on it.

Thanks for the reply. Obscure indeed. My Dad ran a "parts house" (supposedly the speed shop of the day) in Texas city in the 50's and told many stories about a track he was involved in there. He trashed many a 37-40 Ford… He ran for several years at Playland and was there when the big crash killed spectators. He gave a very graphic description of that car "landing in that concession stand" He built a car from a chassis he got out of Ohio I think that was apparently more car than was safe for Playland at the time. I have some old Houston Post newspaper articles that referred to the car as the Reeder rocket. I know how he built the car but wish I knew more about it on the track.His driver was nearly killed in the car showing off in hot laps. He loved to tell stories about AJ Foyt telling him he had the fastest car and the worst driver. Guess he should have let AJ drive for him but "he wasn't about to put that smart assed kid in his car" He also raced some at Meyerland but I don't know much about that. I do know he built some awesome cars...

• 2 months later...

Just saw post today have not visited web site .I am from Texas City. My father raced at Texas City mainland race track his name is Red Upton.The track was between HWY 146 & HWY 3 on north side of 1764..I remember Billy Griswold driving a straight 6 G M C with Arden over head valves Webber carbs and running Alcohol. Never saw Billy Griswold loose a race at the Texas City 1/4 Mile clay track.I raced with Billy Griswold at Meyer Speedway and it was a honor to be in a race with him. Also the speed shop in Texas City owned by Ralph Reeder my father and me visited him many times know the race car saw it built and listen to it run at Ralph's shop.The car raced at Playland Park drove by Bob Bruce was told throttle stuck Bob suffered severe head injuries . Bob also had a service station in Texas City located 9th avenue and 21st street and was there several years after accident.

Sonny,

You are correct about the location of a diffferent track than Mazuma. The 1/4 track you are referring to was situated east/west on the north side of 1764, and it was closer to hwy 3 than 146.

The 1/2 mile Mazuma Speedway was south of 1764, and I have not found a map of it, but have been told it was east of 146 and just south of 9th avenue.

Sonny: Billy continued to terrorize us youngsters ( and most oldsters ) in that old GMC with a lightning bolt through the # 9 up until 1966 on the dirt tracks. My last memory of it was at the opening of the small track in Huntsville in 1967. Most of us had gone to the lightweight supers and the old heavyweight steel bodied Gmc was no longer competitive. Sometime after ( not sure exactly when ) Cowboy Bunch was fatally injured in Texarkana and Billy purchased both of his ARKALATEX 6 cyl. supers and dropped Chevy V8's in them. One still had a bent roll cage. Of course, one still carried that dreaded # 9 with a lightning bolt through it.

Floor Sweeper,

I heard many stories about that stuck throttle. I was there as well but too young to remember. The Reeder Rocket was #99 also with a lightning bolt through the number as were all of his cars. I do remember my dad talking about "Red" and certainly Billy Griswold.

Bob Bruce went on to be a policeman in Seabrook after giving up the gas station and we saw him from time to time up until about 1971. He carried the scars and an unusual blink of his eyes from that crash for the rest of his life. I still have the blood stained helmet he wore. No wonder he suffered head injuries.

I have a couple pictures of a roadster Ralph built just before the "Rocket" car but don't know anything about where they ran it etc. You got any memories of that one? When I got old enough to build motors myself he liked to tell me about "turning those 302's 8000 way back then". I guess i was destined to be a builder and not a motor man...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Always love to hear the old stories. I was at Playland the night Blackie Lothringer went thru the fence and killed the owner Sam Saluski and the black man that helped him at the track. I happened right at the main entrance to the grandstands. I was just coming out of the grandstands going to get popcorn when I hear the loud noise from the car hitting the tin on the high fence. I turned and ran back to the stands. You mentioned the old Texas City track I remember going there but not where it was. The GMC 6 cylinder had a Fisher aluminum head that the got from Ebb Rose. I have a ton of old news paper clippings and pictures. I hope to get some scanned and posted. Jimmy Griswold

• 2 weeks later...

I was very young in those days at Playland so I don't remember much but I do remember some of the cars my dad built and raced.

As I grew up and began to build cars myself my Dad was always full of stories and most of them centered around Playland. I would love to see some of the pictures, newspaper clippings etc. I would love to hear from someone that remembers the last car my Dad raced being on the track. If the stories were anywhere near accurate it was pretty awesome for Playland at the time.

I remember where the track in Texas City was but I don't remember going there. Probably before my traveling days even though we lived in Texas City. I certainly do remember some of the names though.

Reederbuilt

Archived