Is TTOPA represented here?

Waco Racer

No, TTOPA has not sent someone from the organization to the Short Track Summit in Las Vegas.

At this point TTOPA is simply an informal group of Texas short track owners and promoters. The member tracks are SAS, CCMS and THR and I'm not sure if anyone from the member tracks was planning on attending.

Steps are now underway to legally organize TTOPA into a not-for-profit corporation. By doing so we will be able to raise and expend monies to help meet the organization's goals. One of those expenditures might well be to send a TTOPA representative to the Short Track Summit in 2005. Until we incorporate, however, everything is done on a strictly volunteer basis.

Nick Holt

I represented San Antonio Speedway at the Short Track Racing Summit in Las Vegas. Mike is planning to attend the second session that will be held in Daytona in February. We figured we'd get "more bang for our buck" if we gathered information from both sessions. The February summit will have different topics and speakers from the one I attended.

I returned today and brought back tons of information. I will be sharing the information with Mike and the other TTOPA representatives.

It was great to see NASCAR's commitment as a resource for short-track racing. To emphasize their committment, several top-ranking NASCAR representatives spoke at the summit -- Mike Helton, President of NASCAR; Jim Hunter, NASCAR's VP of Corporate Comm./Regional Touring; Tish Sheets, Director of Diversity and Brett Yormark, VP of Corporate Marketing. Don Hawk also spoke at the summit. He has assumed the role of Director of Regional Racing Development where he will be the lead man of the NASCAR Touring Series and NASCAR Dodge Weekly Series.

If NASCAR cared they wouldn't have Saturday night races. :lol:

Oh I think NASCAR cares about the sorry condition of short track racing across America, but they seem to care more about the TV revenue they generate by holding their Cup races under the lights on Saturday nights.

Nick Holt

At a couple of tracks, dodge and NASCAR are teaming up to have dodgevision. With the televised cup night races. I think that I read it on jayski.

Also did anyone mention the Possible ASA bankruptcy at the short track summit. I'm sure that it was a hot topic? Not on NASCAR's mind but on everyone elses

Jason,

Actually the NASCAR folks didn't avoid the Saturday night NEXTEL race issue. They told us that it's only a part of the Saturday night competition for fan entertainment. Rather than use it as an excuse, they challenged us to find a way to incorporate it into our races, e.g., live broadcasts from the track. It's kinda funny, but we had already been thinking about taking that route at SAS. Here in San Antonio, we have just as much competition, if not more, from the Spurs, Fiesta, etc.

WildRacer5,

Regarding the possible ASA bankruptcy, I never heard anything at the summit, on or off the record. It was not a hot topic as far as I could tell. The summit was structured with almost 100% speakers, so there weren't any workshops or "round table" discussions.

Here are the nine 2005 NASCAR Nextel Cup Saturday night televised races:

February 12-Budweiser Shootout, Daytona International Speedway

April 23-Phoenix International Raceway

May 7-Darlington Raceway (Mothers Day eve)

May 14-Richmond International Raceway

May 21-NASCAR Nextel All-Star Challenge - Lowe's Motor Speedway

July 2-Daytona International Speedway

August 27-Bristol Motor Speedway

September 10-Richmond International Raceway

October 15-Lowe's Motor Speedway

TMS races which will negatively affect local Texas tracks:

April 15, 16, 17-Texas Motor Spdway, NEXTEL-Sunday, Busch-Saturday, IROC Friday night TV

June 12-Texas Motor Speedway, IRL Saturday night TV, June 11, NASCAR trucks Friday night TV

November 4, 5, 6-Texas Motor Speedway, NEXTEL-Sunday, Busch-Saturday, NASCAR Trucks Friday night TV

Compiled by:

Neil Upchurch

Race & Administrative Director

Texas Pro Sedans

Archived