The simple solution..

NickHolt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so.. Here is some bigger Math....*(sorry my full time job has me solving these issues everyday)

Attendance 750 people 25% kids paying 10% underage kids.. Rest adults Revenue from Gate $7,162 *(Adult $12 Child $7)

Attendance 1500 Same percents... Adults $7 Kids $3 Revenue from Gates $7,950..

More fans.. more paying sponsors.. for Track and Drivers... Press coverage... The list goes on and on...

But i am a stupid Idot that doesn't have a degree... *(but makes $10 million decisions Daily)

Attendance 750 people 25% kids paying 10% underage kids.. Rest adults Revenue from Gate $7,162 *(Adult $12 Child $7)

Attendance 1500 Same percents... Adults $7 Kids $3 Revenue from Gates $7,950..

Nothing wrong with your math, Aaron. But where did you get the idea that lowering the admission charge by half doubles the attendance? While it may seem logical to you, I have never seen that sort of correlation at any of the tracks I have been associated with over the years.

Mike Sepich tried lowering the ticket prices at SAS last season but raised them back up a few weeks later after a careful financial analysis.

Nick Holt

Simple nick.. Using what you stated and everyone bring a friend... and just imagine if you do that 2 weeks in a row thats 3000...

But seriously.. it won't double over a week.. but the word will get out with some promotion....

Interesting study.. how many people come 1 time.. and realize how expensive it is.. and don't come back..

So the $$ is put into bringing in new customers all the time.. instead of investing it in repeat business..

Repeat business is SOOO much cheaper than finding new customers...

another silly thought.

we all want THR to grow and grow right..

how about we as drivers, crew, etc. (paying thru the back gate)

take a pay (purse) cut. ***as long as the money went to advertising**

I would take a cut in purse (based on 2004 track money) to do my part. maybe 2005 will be better.

Tom

What is so hard about, "bring one more person to the track"? No sabe english?!?!?!?

How about "OK" or "You're right Nick" or "I'll try" or "kiss my mfa". or "just another in a long line of crappy ideas Nick"...why do people feel the need to hijack people's threads...got a good idea, start a thread...got a bad idea, start a thread...is everyone stupid or rude or just self absorbed? Take your pick.

***This one was meant to be mean spirited***

Since your deciding to police threads try this first:

Please follow the rules here at TexasSpeedzone.com!

NO BASHING OF ANY KIND!

(1) No Soliciting

(2) Don't post advertisements.

(3) No offensive language.

(4) Don't be abusive, disruptive or rude. This includes posting or sending personal attacks on other members or other offensive, defamatory or otherwise inappropriate material.

(5) Impersonating another member is inappropriate.

We hope all of you enjoy the message board!!

If anyone should be saying what your saying it's Nick! He doesn't seem to be near as PISSED as you are. If Nick didn't want any response then he should of LOCKED the Thread and posted it as information.

BY the way I SABE english, spanish, french and a few others. My suggestion is that you and a few others on here loosen up. Not everything that people say is Negative, rude or inconsiderate.

Tracks want higher attendance, do something to bring in more people. You ask me which you didn't, I'll tell you again, sell discounted tickets to the very people who are helping to run your business; the racers. Let them give out the tickets to people. If your preselling tickets 10 at a time versus not selling any tickets at regular price your making money... Whoops that rocket science!

Debbie , myself and a few others at SAS are working on ideas to give to Mike to get the name of the track out as well as attendance up.

NICKS idea is a great one, it takes more than INVITE A FRIEND...

Sorry if I offended anyone by "hijacking" this thread early on and I'll be sure to look for the section on here that teaches better message board edicate(sp?)

I am only pissed that we keep going about things the same way everyday and wondering why we don't get different results...Everyday is groundhog day on here...SSDD...Policing the board is not my interest...I would just like to see us be smart about things...It's going to take a lot of things...I have gone back and looked at suggestions that have been on here for the last two years and people just rehash things over and over...the problem is not a lack of ideas...KISS, you totaly missed my point...all that ever happens is people throw ideas...there is no organization of thought...ideas are not organized, ideas are not implemented...everyone is well meaning, except for me, I'm just mean, haha...to think outside the box, first you have to have damn box to start with...this is not rocket science...if we start with one or two basic things, we will be much more succesful than trying to start out trying to cure world peace...Hopefully the START group can help implement some things and work with tracks on ideas...Most of the new "ideas" are things we want the tracks to do. Guess what? The tracks are already going to do what they are going to do and the GM's aren't on here looking for input (notice I said GM's), with the possible exception of Owen who's track is mostly full anyway...So Nick suggests something specific we all can do and what do we do? Launch into a rehash of things the tracks can do instead of focusing on a simple idea we all can do that can have a significant impact.

Race-Ready, Modracer, and who ever else have decent ideas and are well meaning. That is not the point and this thread was not the place. The point is can each of us bring a new fan. No one asked for new ideas on this thread. It was about getting us all focused on bringing a new fan. We don't have to load up, it doesn't take a lot of time, etc.

This subject has been beat to death. The first thing that i see out at THR is car count. When you have romco or USRA ,tsrs and the mods you have people in the stands when it's the weekly show 30 or 50 cars at best the crowd is not there. Don't have any answers just what i have seen.

29ll you are absolutly right if i needed to get something across this forum would not be the place. to many whiners with all the answers and no means to support them(with the occasional exception i.e. START), maybe something good there, but not here. this is fun to read but mostly entertainment and some news. You cant post a thread without it going sooo off track, why bother wasting your time!

Getting new people to attend races is a good idea.What most racers dont understand is that for a non racer watching a bunch of generic cars identified only by a number soon gets boreing.Like "22 passes 44 and 88 gets the win.To get people intrested you must have something a non racer can identify with.Nascar does this by having the fans know every driver and their story.This cannot be done on a local level because their is not enough TV time.The solution is simple.MAKE THE CARS THE STARS!!!!!! Monster Trucks prove this.Like someone on this post said everyone knows Gravedigger,Big Foot,Austin,etc.but I bet they dont know who the driver is.The best promoters in the ticket selling business are Wrestling promoters.What do they sell?A staged performance starring PEOPLE.I talked to a Wrestling promoter the other day and in 30 seconds he told me half a dozen technics that would boost our shows.He said "you need characters people would remember and one they can support.You need a good guy and a bad guy.You need an underdog.You need conflicts. Most of all YOU NEED A STORY."We are not in the racing business.I dont know anybody who races for a living.We are in the show business too and to get people to buy tickets THERE MUST BE A SHOW.Georgus George single handedly saved wrestling in the 50s when that show almost died.The wrestlers of then were like the racers of today,they were good at what they did but it was all the same. Heres my idea.Make the cars into a character or personality.When two teams are fuding,advertize it.Talk about the underdog,the guy racing without funds.If a guy races rough,he is the bad guy. If a guy races clean all the time he is the good guy.If a guy comes back from a bad crash he is a story.These are just some of the things we could do to make the race show more intresting to a non racer.And making the cars the stars does work,I named my Rabbit THUMPER and every kid at CC Speedway loves it.They dont know me or probably dont remember my number but if you say something about Thumper they know the car.By the way,Thumper was Bambis friend.The kids relate to that.When you have the kids intrested,you have the parents.This may sound like a radical approach but it will work.You want fans,give them a show they will remember.That starts with stars they can remember.The first track that hires a wrestling promoter will fill the stands.The sad fact is South and mid Texas ane not big racing territories.But everyone wants to be entertained.The real challange will be for the teams to create a character the fans will remember.The announcer is probably the second most important item,he is the one that tells the story.Success is at hand if we are not too full of ourselves to take advantage of it. Lets hear some ideas on a more intresting show. THUMPER

It's hard to have a bad guy with All-involved :o .... kidding... kidding :D

I agree though, having a "hero" and a "villian" helps the fans.

(and to appease 29LL)

Having a "Hero" and a "Villian" helps us get the people we will be bringing "into" the race as well, even if they don't know the drivers.

There is more to it than a simple answer of Bringing some new people in the stands. The first major problem is that there has to be entertainment and the show has to be entertaining. Like Aarron said on the movie post it is cheaper to go to blockbuster and HEB for the popcorn and the movies but damn it is just fun to watch a movie on that huge screen at the theature. When you go to the monster truck show, it is not just monster truck racing. There is something else. All kinda of stuff at the Alamo Dome shows and hell there is really good thread on the CC link about car hockey. Speaking of hockey, I'm going to the SA Rampage hockey game tonight at the SBC center. Why am I going? I don't really enjoy hockey. I'm going because there is a free concert after the game! More bang for the enteraintment dollar!! That's why I'm going!! The tickets cost twice as much as a THR ticket but I'm going because it is entertaining. Why can't the tracks go back and have a simple trophy dash. It does not cost that much for a couple of trophies. If it makes the show more entertaining and a few new people show up then the trophies have paid for them self. More times than not if the new fans enjoy the entertaining show they will bring more of thier friends to enjoy the show with them. Most of us did this when we started comming to the races. The racing was fun and we wanted all of our friends their to enjoy the show. It is a simple as bringing new faces in the stands but there needs to be an entertaining show to get them to come back and stay there.

I dont feel as though I hijacked this thread this time. I stayed on topic and added another twist to the simple solution.

why not tear down a few sections of the bleachers, that way the people that are there will be closer together and it will look like there are more poeple in the stands...........lol........just kidding.................nick's idea is a good one...........i know year before last, mike gave my wife some tickets to sell at a school silent auction and i do know that there was at least a few people that actually used the tickets because i saw them there at the track.............the school benefited from the money the tickets brought in, and the track benefited by the consessions that the people who bought the tickets purchased while there..........

Thumper-

NASCAR does not promote their drivers. They only promote NASCAR. The sponsors promote the drivers.

The cars are the stars? Does that mean football uniforms are the stars, not the guys who wear them? How about the NBA, and even MLB? Are the uniforms the stars. Is Bevo the star?

NHRA tried the "cars are the stars" routing a few years back and fell on their butt. (They have John Force, and they think the CARS are the stars?)

Sports is ALWAYS about people. People pay to see people, and, yes, they pay to see Earnhardt and Gordon and all because they know who they are. It's about promotion, and it doesn't take a lot of TV time to promote (though anytime I've worked the media, we've gotten a lot of TV time as well as press space and so on), but it does take promotion, promotion of the people involved.

But, as 29ll said above, SSDD. We keep doing (or not doing) the same things, and expecting different results. It's been pointed out on this forum more than once that that is one definition of insanity.

We're not trying to re-write the book. I'd just like to see racing act like it's important, and handle the media the same way the major sports do.

NO, not by spending huge sums, but by covering the basics. As I said, anytime the effort is made, we do get the coverage. What's so hard to understand about that?

Dam, larry you need to quit posting your picture on the speedzone. and if anybody has ever met and seen larry he looks exactly like. lol O Im sorry i got off the subject, Dammit larry give me some of your meds. j/k

Ok, some of you are taking this way too far. This is a forum. A forum is made for an exchange of ideas. I don't believe we are "highjacking" anything, just making suggestions.

Now, I know from experience that bringing character into the car, or I guess out on the track, I'm not quite sure how to put it, works. When my dad raced back in the early 90's, he had gimmicks with his car and they work. His first was the "fireball" car. When he let off in the corners, the wrapping on the headers created a "fireball" effect out of the exhaust which happened to come out of the passenger side door. The car was also red at the time, so we played it up and gave out the fireball candies to the kids after the races. The other gimmick he used was a "wind-up key" on the back of the car after we changed the color of the car and it looked like a toy car on the track. The fans, both adult and kids, loved it and they still remember my dad for it 8 years later. We had fans make up shirts with the car drawn on it by hand in paint. We had kids make us drawings every week. We had several very ill children who just loved my dad and wanted nothing more than to ride in the car, so we let them in a parade. Things like this will draw crowds of people who would never had thought about coming before. Community participation is key for getting new fans. It doesn't cost you anything but gas money to tow your car to a location to be in a short parade (so you don't overheat) and let some kids ride on your car. You will barely be idling. Or to display your car in front of one of your sponsor's business locations for a few hours with a sign where you race and details about you. I just think these ideas are so hard to do that nobody could or would use them.

Archived