ONLINE GAMING AND RACING

Rookie49

My son is getting an x-box. He wants to do some online gaming to include racing. Is that what you guys are using or is that something he can do with the computer. If its the xbox do you have to buy a game to play it online, if its a computer what disc or software is needed. I know absolutely nothing about gaming. I have always considered video games a huge waste of time, but through the comparison of online forums :D my wife and kids have convinced me. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP.

NASCAR Racing 2003 Season by Papyrus.

Can get it clearance online for like $10.

You also need a wheel. The best wheel for the buck is the Microsoft Sidewinder non Force Feedback wheel.

Get the updates and mods for it and come race. We have been racing CCMS, Five Flags, i70, Nashville, etc etc in our own Late Model mod. 2004 ROMCO Champion is pretty good but I am better.

Jason

Computers have the overall best graphics and their games tend to be cheaper for the same game as a you would use for a game console. However, you can't simply grab your computer and take it to your friends house, nor can you do that with a computer game if your friend doesn't have a computer (unless you have a laptop).

As for game consoles, Microsoft builds the X-Box and they structured it from a computer first then a game console second. So, the X-Box is going to have better graphics and (from what I hear) better game play (including online).

The Playstation was built as a game console that can be used for computer functions. So, it's graphics aren't as great as the X-Box (from what I hear). However, the Playstation can use the newer PS2 games as well as the older PS1 and Playstation games. So, there are a plethra of games for the PS2. The X-Box is catching up, but it's still hard to find that "good" $3 game for the X-Box whereas it's easy to find $3 or $4 (used) game for a PS2.

The Nintendo Game cube... hmmm... old dog... no new tricks. I haven't heard much about this system, so I can't say. (there's a reason I haven't heard much)

ALL games played online, weather it's PS2, X-Box, Game Cube or PC require you to have an original (can be used) version of the game. You put the game into your machine and it will guide you to playing online.

For a late model game (05'), you're looking at $50 a game (when released) but don't let that scare you. You can find great (used) games at your local game store (GameStop or others) for anywhere from $1 - $??.??

Som might say "could a $2.00 game be any good?".... yes... I've bought them because "I had nothing to lose but $2.00" and have been pleasently suprised.

Do also keep in mind, with a PS2, X-Box and Game Cube, you can trade your old games and accessories at these game shops. I'm not as sure about where you can trade PC games other than eBay.

As for racing games, many would argue about which are better, but EA has a rather good grasp for all sports games. Since you are not familiar with the game world, any game store will know what you mean when you say "which E.A. games do you have?"

If you are unsure, you can usually buy a used console at most game stores as well. They generally come with/offer a good warrenty with the used systems (sometimes better than the new systems).

I personally use the PS2 (used) system and enjoy it a great deal. NASCAR Thunder 2004 is (in some ways) better than NASCAR Chase for the Cup ( Thunder 2005), which will also save a little $$. I recently purchased, and have been burning up, Test Drive Eve of Destruction... it's well worth the $30.

If you need any further help, I would definitely suggest going to a game store (before the holiday rush) and talk to the people there. You will (usually) find nice helpful nerds... I mean... people there who are gald to discuss gaming with you. Sometimes they can be higher priced than your "box-stores", but they are very helpfull and on occassion can be cheaper. Plus, they are the only places that offer the used games, systems and accessories.

Hope this isn't too long, but I hope it helps. :D

He wasn't asking about consoles. He was asking about what we have been racing online. The console racing games just plain suck. EA is good at Football games but their racing games are freakin terrible. Anyways we don't race a game. We race a simulation online. If you don't have a wheel and your racing online with us your @$$ will be booted in a heartbeat cause you just don't have a shot and will cause wrecks.

Look at the simracing forum for all the info.

He wasn't asking about consoles. He was asking about what we have been racing online. The console racing games just plain suck. EA is good at Football games but their racing games are freakin terrible. Anyways we don't race a game. We race a simulation online. If you don't have a wheel and your racing online with us your @$$ will be booted in a heartbeat cause you just don't have a shot and will cause wrecks.

Look at the simracing forum for all the info.

My apologies, I must've misunderstood the question. I stand corrected.

But, if someone had a question about consoles... there you go :D

My PC's a 97', that's why I have to run with a console <_<

Jason, for a novice, what's the difference between a game and a Sim. Aren't most games Sims, and aren't most Sims basically a game? When I "play my game", I race 43 cars and I race to win, what's the difference b/n that and a sim (other than tracks/locals)? Like I said, I haven't played using my PC, so I'm not sure what you mean by Sim as apposed to game.

Jason is correct Nascar 2003 is the best sim game and you can join any of 100 leagues online, however, i recomend a force feedback steering wheel a PC with big graphics and lots of memory. As far as the wheel i have no idea whats out there(my wheel is almost dust), but is a microsoft and been very good. my leauge is at www.hendrickonlineracing.com. This is probably the biggest one out there and we probably start like 30 to 40 peeps a race. in fact we have grown so much that they have started running two more nights at different skill levels. very good leauge. If nothing else very good info on the forum there. good luck and hope to see ya in the sim world.

anyone in corpus check out EB Games, on SPID in front of walmart @ greenwood....they have used PC games as well as console games

just bought NASCAR Craftsman Truck 2004 as a xmas present for .75 most used pc games are less than 5.00

also for console games check pawnshops, but the .15 warranty play the S*** put of it...for a week or so...and it will work...get those for liek 5.00 a pop...newer game available but not the games that made it out last week...

NASCAR Racing 2003 Season by Papyrus.

Can get it clearance online for like $10.

You also need a wheel. The best wheel for the buck is the Microsoft Sidewinder non Force Feedback wheel.

Get the updates and mods for it and come race. We have been racing CCMS, Five Flags, i70, Nashville, etc etc in our own Late Model mod. 2004 ROMCO Champion is pretty good but I am better.

Jason

where can i get that wheel and how much does it cost?

Archived