My disappointment re: THR Enduro Race

lmracer

A few years ago, SAS had scheduled a big street stock type race at the end of the year following the Octoberfast. We obtained a sponsor and spent $3000 of their money to get a car ready. That race was cancelled and left a very sour taste in my mouth and that of our sponsor regarding SAS.

For the last two years, I have raced at Kyle in a touring series and sang the praises of the racetrack to all who would listen. We felt that this was the best track in the area due to the way they respected us, the racers; the way the show was run; the cleanliness of the facilities, and the fairness shown to us, the racers. However, that being said, I feel deeply disappointed that this Enduro has been cancelled. We did our research and came up with a car that was going to steal the show, procurred a sponsor, spent money out of my own pocket, and put in plenty of hours preparing the car all to come to this point where the show is not going to happen. Now what do I tell my sponsor? The car we selected will not work on a dirt track so we can't go run at I-37. And the sponsor wanted to promote his business in the San Marcos/Kyle/South Austin area, not in Pleasanton. So don't suggest we go run it there, if it does happen.

In my opinion, the rescheduling was ill thought out and too much consideration was given to making sure a date was amenable to a group of dirt racers from Waco. But that was an open-ended wish at best. There was no entry form due by a certain date. Therefore, how could the promoter even know if any of those cars were going to come anyway? The track tried to please everyone, and ended up pleasing no one. There have been other dates available that were not seized upon just to avoid a possible conflict with another track schedule. And yes, I am aware that the hobby and street stock races were set to run on the same day and that conflicts with other tracks would have to be taken into consideration for those dates. But if you look at the calender, there were other dates available that were not utilized because they may not have worked out for the possible entries from Waco.

In closing, in my opinion, the track owes this race to the racers who spent time and money preparing for it. They owe it to the fans and the sponsors also. I know that the racetrack is a business, and you can tell they were looking too much at their P & L statement when making decisions regarding this race, and not enough time looking at the amount of loyalty they should have to the fans, racers, and sponsors. That being said, if they as businessmen thought at one point that they could make a profit having the race to begin with, then that should not change. They should still be able to generate a profit or break even regardless of the date. And, they would keep the respect and good will of the racers, fans, and sponsors. And that is priceless.

Hey Nick/Brian, what would be the thought about making this an actual off-season race and schedule it for January ____th, or Febraury _____th? This would allow 1 to 2 full months of re-promoting, there probably won't be conflicts at that time, and even MORE people would have time to get an Enduro ready. The SS/HS races may suffer because motors are sitting on a shop floor/someone's drivway, but... they might not. If you were to run it in Feb, people may be ready to go by then and looking at this race as a way to "show-off" their (new?) car(s).

Just a thought.

Noone said anythign about it happening or not we understand that it rained you dont have to ell us that we would just like to know when we will get to race since we all put money into a car that for and enduro race honestly im not to worried about it becasue i will run it in the grand stock series but there are other people who spent money on cars just for this race

Randy

No one forced people to build those cars just for that race. They took a chance. The weather this year has been more wet than I can remember. They should have taken that into concideration. Im sure some are not happy now that they spent all that money and now have no where to race it. But, you know what. some people spend money every month on flood insurance (and it ain't cheap)and will never have to use it. Seems like a waste. But that one time they get flooded, it will be well worth it. That might be a bad comparison, but just think if you had gotten to race. It would have been worth it, cause they would have had a whole lot of fun.

Maybe the people that did build cars might want to come race in the weekly class now. And then there time and money won't go to waste.

:)

I think what alot of these racers are frustrated with the fact this race has been cancelled on a weather forecast instead of waiting till the day of the race to see what happens.

there aint any money to recoup in racin' anyhow. gas up that enduro and go do donuts down at the end of the cul de sac for the kids. drag it out to your deer lease and use it as a "high performance deer blind" hell, just leave your guns at home and mow them creatures down ,now thats racin', i'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.threaten to drop your teenage kids off at school in it if they don't behave. sometimes a racecar can be so much more.

No one forced people to build those cars just for that race. They took a chance.

I've seen that said twice now and I can't believe it's been said either time. Then, why build a car? I mean, flood insurance is something that would save your livelyhood. A car is just something people build to have a little fun. If someone's on the edge of building a car and they read that, they would probably think "why would I want to spend the time and $$ on a car when there's a chance I won't get to race it, and the track owners don't give a rat's behind either way?" That's like buying front row tickets for a football game and them saying "oh well, we're just not going to play this weekend, and no you don't get you're money back, and no we don't care that you didn't get to see the game." Wouldn't that kinda' tick you off?

Edit: front row tickets for a Football game you've been waiting to see for 8 months.

["why would I want to spend the time and $$ on a car when there's a chance I won't get to race it, and the track owners don't give a rat's behind either way?" ]

What in the world gives you the idea that the track owners "don't give a rat's behind???"

If Brian had waited until the weather situation was not in any doubt, he would have been blasted for waiting before calling the race off. Don't believe it? Just take a walk back through some of the old threads from last summer. And you have to keep in mind that this event was drawing people from other parts of the state too. You don't think people would have been bent out of shape if they had driven up from CC only to find the track under water? The point is you can call it not caring if you want, but that's not what I call it.

And since when is cooperating with sister tracks a bad thing? Virtually everyone and his brother has been calling for close cooperation among Texas tracks as one way to help racing get back on its feet. That Brian is being roasted for postponing so that THR would not be competing with a nearby track running the same cars is totally incomprehensible to me. If he had opted to go head to head with these two events, he would have been raked over the coals so bad he'd still be smoking !!!

It all boils down to the fact that if track management makes a difficult decision they are going to get blasted by people who didn't get their own way.

By the way, the cars that were built for the enduro WILL have a place to run next season. Those cars are basically legal for the Grand Stock class unless I'm totally misreading the rules. And who said Brian and Jim won't schedule an enduro early next season???

Nick Holt

What in the world gives you the idea that the track owners "don't give a rat's behind???"

Nick, if you re-read my posts, I've done nothing but defend Brian/THR for their actions. I was talking about the comment Kathy just made. I completely understand calling off the races so far. I personally would love to see it be able to happen, but when you have to swim to the infield, it doesn't make good racing... unless you have a swamp buggy. I was saying that telling a driver "No one forced people to build those cars just for that race. They took a chance.", just didn't seem right to me.

Well Nascar, Sorry that you took it wrong. I was not trying to mean or anything like that. But, it is the simple truth, no one forced anyone to build a car. Just some people are coming on here crying about the race didn't happen now. Like Nick said, no matter what Brian did he was was gonna get hung for it. And just about any of us from THR will get hung for anything we say to defend the track. I will defend the track as long as it is there, because I know how much WE all work our butts off to put on a race and I know how much Brian and Jim have spent trying to have races every weekend. So you and anybody else can be mad at me if you want for speaking the truth. Brian and Jim tried for MANY weeks to get the race in, but mother nature had other ideas.

Save the cars, come race next year with the weekly show and maybe we can get an Enduro in next season.

:)

People will bitch about track management.

People will bitch about the rules.

People will bitch about the pay.

People will bitch about the other racers.

People will bitch about the prices.

People will bitch about the food.

People will bitch about the track surface/shape.

People will bitch about the pits.

People will bitch about how "inconvient" the track's closing is.

Is there any pattern here?

Jay

Well Nascar, Sorry that you took it wrong.

No biggie. If you look at the time of my first post (6:53am... BEFORE sleep), I was probably just a little testie due to sleep deprivation.

I know y'all do everything you can week in and week out to help the track. And, I usually defend the track as well. That one comment just grabbed me wrong. Sorry, didn't mean to bite any heads off. :D

maybe we can get an Enduro in next season.

After hearing all the (rumors) on here, the last two words you wrote were the most important :)

ps - I didn't want to call it Chuckman's group, because I know it's more than just him making it happen...SA has FASCAR...how about ASSCAR?  just kidding...

KGB - Kyle's Group of Brothers (and Sisters) :lol:

KAR - Kyle Auto Racers

GOD - Group Of Drivers... maybe not :P

Archived