longhorn Speedway or Austin Speed-O-Roma

if somebody got the lease for the track how many people would pitchin and help get sponsors for the track to help get it back to running conditons. As everybody knows it is up for lease or sell and Thunderhill probable may not be open for to much longer what do yall think about the good old track that has been asleep long enough.

JUST WANT TO THROW THIS OUT THERE

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're beating a dead horse where Longhorn is concerned.

Some obstacles:

1. Utilities; all plumbing and electrical.

2. Track surface replacement.

3. All buildings replaced--concessions, office, etc. Try to re-open these days with only a portalet in the pits.

4. Liquor license. Lack of this hurt Chambers in 2000.

5. Racer support. been discussed on other threads.

6. ZERO support from the city of Austin. In Austin's big picture of what they envision for the area around the airport, a racetrack is no where on the radar screen. Remember, the track is in Austin's ETJ, so you gotta deal with their code-compliance people. The same ones who contributed to "Bad Boys Speedway" not happening.

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity" << In my best Donald Southerland voice from Kelly's Heros. LOL

I'd love to see the Austin track re-open, but it's not going to happen unless someone with incredibly deep pockets and lots of connections with the Austin city government steps up to the plate.

Reb, you may think txtom is being negative, but actually he was just being honest and sharing legitimate information.

Anyone who thinks a few guys are going to get together for a few weekends of hard work is enough to get Longhorn up and running again is just not facing reality.

I'm with watripracingTHR. Support THR. It's our best bet.

Nick Holt

if i remember-when bad boyz tried to open old longhorn they thought they were going to be able to do it under the grandfather clause with the city of austin building codes from way back-but since it had sit idle for a few years it lost the grandfather part-now anybody who wants to open it would have to do it going by austin codes of 2004-like txtom said-all new modern utilities-all buildings-new drainage-then the tree huggers will want a little dough to shut up-then the county gets in on it-the list goes on and on-word of advice-from a 30+ year austinite-Forget It-it would take Millions

yall dont know who i am and i hope it stays that way. A lot of people on here talk bad about thr so here is the chance to make a difference. Longhorn can still be the #1 track in texas again if we want it to. All i am asking is some help and support if yall would like to have this teack back in opperation. I know all about the track. i have raced on it for many years. Won alot of races on it and also help Chammbers get it started. It did take alot of hard work and get it opperation again even harder. It might take a year or so but I think it will be worth the wait.

Txtom,tommy42 and NICK HOLT all i can say is when i get this track opens is COME GET YOU SOME. THR might have been the start of Longhorns closer but the way THR is now might be Longhorns reserection.

P.S. AUSTIN SPEED-O-ROMA WILL LIVE AGAIN SOON

I know who you are. And in talking to my cousin in Fort Worth two weeks ago, she said she might look into buying THR or maybe i'll talk to her about Longhorn---sorry it would have to be called SPEED-O-RAMA again just like it was when i went there for the first time at the age of 7. Ran my first race there at the age of 16, damn that was a long time ago. Every time i drive by there going to the race shop, i think, what a shame, someone should do something with this place! :(

Txtom,tommy42 and NICK HOLT all i can say is when i get this track opens is COME GET YOU SOME.

forest-

I got me some at Longhorn in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000.

I made the trip up there every Friday night Chambers was open, wondering along with him where all the guys were that had promised to come race with him.

I personally prefer Longhorn to THR, and would also like to see it open again. If you can do it, fantastic. I'll be there doing whatever I can, just like I did for almost 4 decades.

But, like Nick said, you have a huge uphill battle , both against the city, and the money that will be required to make this happen.

My original post was not meant to sound negative, because I'd love to see Longhorn open again. But I tend to look at things from the realistic side.

forgivemefortherightturnforrest,

yall dont know who i am and i hope it stays that way

There are certain advantages when taking a strong position when people do not know who you are.

A lot of people on here talk bad about thr so here is the chance to make a difference

And there are a lot of people who don't get on here and talk bad about THR. Any and every track has its critics and quite often the critics make more noise than those who actually support the track. I honestly believe that THR is beginning to turn the corner and that next season will be better than last season.

All i am asking is some help and support if yall would like to have this teack back in opperation. I know all about the track. i have raced on it for many years. Won alot of races on it and also help Chammbers get it started. It did take alot of hard work and get it opperation again even harder. It might take a year or so but I think it will be worth the wait.

Well, you are not alone. Many of us raced there over the years and either loved or hated the place. Personally I loved the place. I raced there when it was Ricci Ware's Austin Speed-O-Rama on Friday nights and raced at Pan American on Saturday nights - that must have been back in the 1970's. And later on when I was racing with Ed Sczech we won lots of LM races there in the 1980's. Would I like to see Longhorn come back to life? You bet! There is no reason why asphalt stock car racing can't be as big in Texas as it is in other parts of the country where there are numerous tracks within a geographic area. Just look at Maine where there are five booming asphalt tracks -- some within a few minutes of each other.

Txtom,tommy42 and NICK HOLT all i can say is when i get this track opens is COME GET YOU SOME.

I don't think any one of the three of us is being negative in any way. And frankly, I hope you are the person with deep pockets and good political connections who can pull this difficult task off. Racing will be the better for your efforts. Consider yourself invited to the next TTOPA meeting if you are serious about all this.

THR might have been the start of Longhorns closer but the way THR is now might be Longhorns reserection.

Hopefully all the track owners and promoters have learned the hard lesson that competing against the other tracks is not the way to go. Cooperation among the tracks has proven very effective in other areas where short track racing is booming. Efforts to tear down the other track may seem like the way to go, but experience has shown that it only hurts racing overall. And what hurts racing overall hurts all of us.

P.S.  AUSTIN SPEED-O-ROMA WILL LIVE AGAIN SOON

A lot of us certainly hope so.

Nick Holt

Ok FMFTRTF, if your for real about this, you should tell everyone who you are...by the look of it at least 3 of us already know...I go by the ghost of Long-o-rama a couple of times a month to visit my road car...last time by, I looked close because of all the TSZ discussions...I would be shocked if it could be rehabbed and made inhabitable for less than $1m...maybe $1.5 if you scrubbed it with a TOOTHBRUSH ;) ...but it wouldn't be the first time you surprised me...it is a perfect location...And it sure looks like a small amount of land...not much room for parking...the city of Austin isn't as big a big deal as everyone is making it out to be if you spend the bucks to do it right...but it ain't happening on a shoestring budget.

its funny, I remember when Speed o Rama was open we always heard about something being built in Kyle along with the good ole HEB idea. Now that Kyle is there, somebody is always trying to magically get the Austin track opened up again ?

We've had them open at the same time on two occasions with the same result.

What would make this time different ?

I see Speed O Rama twice a day (and have ventured in there a couple of times) and must agree, that is gonna take a big chunk of change if it indeed is going to get back in business.

forest-you open it and i will come get me some-i was there in the ricci ware days-alvin stewart days-sammy hill days-and ronald chamber days-or is it going to be like the guy building the dragstrip in the thorndale,taylor area for the last decade that i told i would believe it when i bought a ticket and drove into the pits-i've seen his blue prints but no track yet-i wish you luck

Archived