Looking for old photos

PAPA

WildRacer5,

The name of the track at Convict Hill in Austin was "Oak Hill Downs." This is where my first memories of racing are. My dad had a car that raced there in the early fifties. It was ordinarily driven by a fellow named Bill Jenkins. Don Fowler drove it to at least one feature victory there.

The fellow who probably won most features there was named Thurman Lovejoy (car 66.)

On occasion, Waldo Harper drove there in Donald Bragg's #11. The most notable driver I remember seeing race there was Jud Larson. He drove a car I think was owned by Alvin Stewart. Jud later became quite famous racing USAC Sprint Cars. Most notibly though, was his 8th place finish in the 1958 Indianapolis 500.

Budman

Got the pics. They are great. I have a few that I want to send to you but they are on my other laptop that the display has gone out. Ill have it fixed in next day or two.

Still looking for some pics!!!!! Any and all. 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, present. Please share them with all of us. Thanks

Gerald (PAPA) Fischer

(210)682-7581 or cell(210)643-7581

gw66c10@swbell.net

• 2 months later...

Doe's anyone remember a dirt track in Buda near I-35 and South Loop 4?

I have some photos from the old Oak Hill track, and some from a track in Thorndale. Late 50's and early 60's. I'll try to scan and post them soon. I still have two of the old race cars down back, at my house.

2wide,

Don't recall a track at Buda. Remember the track at Oak Hill very well. My dad had a car that raced there. Would love to see any pics you have.

Nick,

I've noticed Papa missing too. Hope it's a problem with his PC, and not with him.

I have some programs from those years, 80's, I am sure Vicki Askew would contribute also. I will call her and ask. I will get them together and send you some pictures and writeups. Also Longhorn used to be Capital Area Racing Association(CARA). Talk to James Read and Les McIntyre who raced back then. I have a dear friend in Iowa who has information also. Will get with her.

OOPPSSS Papa. Guess I can't read. Anyway I don't have any for 50's and 60's. Oh well I love racing anyway. I will still call Vicki and my friend in Iowa.

Archived