Looking for old photos

PAPA

Im looking for old photos and clippings of Racers,Crews,Cars,etc. that raced or went to the OLD Pan American Speedway on Austin Hwy and the Old Speed-o-rama track in Austin. This all took place back in the late 50's and early 60's. My dad,Norman Butler raced at these places with such drivers and crews as Don Fowler, Buddy Jerkins, The Beidigers(sp), The Whites, Yantis, and many many more. My mother, Jodie Butler even raced in the Powder Puff races. I want to put together a photo album of all his old friends. Some have pass on but many are still around but over the years they have lost touch. Anything would be great. I will also make all of these available to those who would like them. These are the ROOTS of our sport as we know it today.They should not be forgottten.Our grandchildren and their grandchildren deserve to have these to remember them. You can e-mail or PM me about this. I can be reached at (210) 682-7581 or (cell) (210)643-7581. Thanks

Gerald (PAPA) Fischer

I know that a couple of years ago Ricci Ware Sr., on his radio show, talked about one of the old photographers wifes wanting someone to take the old pics. I would like to see these also.

The first race that I attended was at Mercury speedway, I was just old enough to physically shake in terror due to all the noise. Those are great memories.

Good Luck w/ finding the pics.

Is there any way to post these so everyone that desires can have copys made?? I would be glad to pay for some copies.

JohnnyT66

Thank you for your offer. I will call you to make arraingements to copy them.

bubbac

Thanks for the info. I will contact Ricci and see what I can find out. I will put all the photos and other items I get on a site that everyone can view and down load. I can even put them on a CD for those who wish to have them.

If anyone else has any info on how I might get may hands on some more of these old photos please let me know. Thanks

PAPA

when longhorn was reopening under Ron Chambers, Vicky Askew put together the programs. It had alot if not all the pics from the years you are wanting. I dont know where she got them but if she still has them I bet she would send them to you. She lives in austin but dont know the number. Call info. You might get the number.

P.S. when you have all that you want I would like to see them.

terriable tim (aka) colgate

ok if you want to look at longhorn on the web site nascarbar put down it is listed as capital city speedway. is says it was shut down in the 70's but it is not so. it also says it looks like it has been raced on longer than the 70's, i know up until 2000 because i won the last two races at longhorn in that season in the hobby class.

The first satellite picture posted by Nascarbar is the SECOND Pan-American Speedway, which was open on Toepperwein road from about 1965 to 1978.

The second one is Longhorn/Speedorama.

There is some confusion among the historians about "Capital City Speedway" and Longhorn/Speedorama being the same. The narrative on that site has about the same info as listed in Alan Brown's book "History of the American Speedway".

Supposedly there was a Capital City Speedway elsewhere in Austin, and it tends to get confused with longhorn.

You guys and gals are AWESOME!!! I want to thank you all. Please keep it coming. I started out wanting to get a bunch of old stuff to share with everyone and my father. After doing some reasearch of my own and all the info Ive recieved from everyone Ive come to the conclussion that this is much much more. Its like the history is wanting to be told. Im so excited about this. So please keep the info coming. Anything and everything will be shared with all. Thanks again.

What was the track up at Convict Hill in Austin called? My dad said that he remember going to the races at Convict Hill. He also said that Capital City raceway was a drag track.

Yesterday I was able to take a few pics at I-37 but not near enough. If anyone got any please send me a copy via email. I would also like to get the drivers info. I was just taken aback by all the cars that I didnt get to ask the drivers to much. You guys are great and a real pleasure to watch. I really would like to add you all to my history collection. If any of you have web sites I would love to have the link.

As Im sure most of you have heard Buddy Yantis Sr passed away a few days ago. Another legend has left us with memories that must be keep alive for generations to come. If anyone has any pics, articles, stories, etc. of Buddy please send them to me. I will see to it that his family gets a copy of them all and I will make them available to everyone who wishes to have them. He was one of the greatest drivers of his time.Please take a moment to remember him.

Nascarbar, that is my site. I have a couple of photos in my scrapbook of my late uncle, Fred Elbel.

I also have quite a few old photos from PAS stored away in my garage, and I just happen to be cleaning that garage out now. I didn't miss a night from 1971 until late 1977. We used to collect the wallet-sized photos like trading cards; I believe the Hoods sold them for 5/$1 or something like that. Keep an eye out, I will post what I find.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. I would like to take this time to ask again for some pics. I have a few pics already and have some contacts to meet to scan their albums. Also if you have any pics or video of any driver,owner,car,crew,etc. from the past to present please let me know. Thanks to all that have helped with this. I look forward to hearing and talking with more of you. Thanks again.....Gerald (PAPA) Fischer

• 3 months later...
Im looking for old photos and clippings of Racers,Crews,Cars,etc. that raced or went to the OLD Pan American Speedway on Austin Hwy and the Old Speed-o-rama track in Austin. This all took place back in the late 50's and early 60's. My dad,Norman Butler raced at these places with such drivers and crews as Don Fowler, Buddy Jerkins, The Beidigers(sp), The Whites, Yantis, and many many more. My mother, Jodie Butler even raced in the Powder Puff races. I want to put together a photo album of all his old friends. Some have pass on but many are still around but over the years they have lost touch. Anything would be great. I will also make all of these available to those who would like them. These are the ROOTS of our sport as we know it today.They should not be forgottten.Our grandchildren and their grandchildren deserve to have these to remember them. You can e-mail or PM me about this. I can be reached at (210) 682-7581 or (cell) (210)643-7581. Thanks

Gerald (PAPA) Fischer

Still looking for "OLD PHOTOS". Any and all would be great. Ive tried not to bother people with this the last few months because of the holidays and because cars were being built or rebuilt. I would like to get some of them "Blown-up" and give them to the different tracks so that they can display them. And if you have a story about the pics please send them as well.Lets not let our history fade away. Take a few minutes and dig out those old photos .Then sit back and take a trip back in time to the "Good Ol Days". Then send them to me to share with all. I will even come to you with my scanner and laptop so you wont have to go to all the trouble. Go get those photos out right now. It will make you feel good. :D:D:D:D

Archived