8. Matt Kenseth .... 5963

9. Elliott Sadler .... 5963

10. Jeremy Mayfield .... 5942

11. Jamie McMurray 4451

12. Kasey Kahne .... 4225

13. Bobby Labonte .... 4145

14. Dale Jarrett .... 4123

15. Kevin Harvick .... 4094

Huh, looks like they'd still have a points battle going into the final race!

Why don't you look at how last year's would have compared. There's nothing wrong with the chase except that its just different. I personally hated the old system and thought it should have been changed thirty years ago. I want to see winning rewarded. The old points system was kind of like saying that winning a football game gets you 100 points. But if you get the most yards and first downs and your cheerleaders look better you can actually earn 105 points.

That was what I was referring to was the change to the modern system. It stunk then and it did for the next 29-30 years. I'm sorry if the football reference went over your head. :lol:

Let's try it again.

In a football season the team that wins the most games always gets a chance to play for the championship.(i.e. playoffs)

In a racing season, if you don't win a race and finish high enough in an average then you win. When a guy with one win (Kenseth 2003) clinches as early as he did and there are are guys out there with 4,6,8 wins(Ryan Newman 2003) then there is someething wrong with the way you rank your teams.

What I was saying was that if you compared racing to other sports like football, then you are in effect saying that if someone else wins more games than you but you average more points per game, have more yards per game, more first downs, then you are more consistent which must mean that you are a better team so we will make you the champion.

That is a reference to the fact that you can finish second or third in a Nascar race and actually tie or beat the guy that won the race.

Your season rankings should be an extension of the way you play the game.

I don't care who led the most laps. I want to know who won the race.

If you applied the old system to individual races, you wouldn't give the trophy to the first guy to cross the finish line, you would give it to the guy that had the most points for the weekend. :blink::huh:

LOL I'm with you Taz lady! :)

Rookie, Ok I see where you were headed, but don't forget about Wild Card teams being added, some barely have a .500 record sometimes. I did like the cheerleader reference though :rolleyes: reminded me the Cowpies game was on. At least we don't have to worry about them in your above scenerio. :lol::lol::lol:

What I was saying was that if you compared racing to other sports like football, then you are in effect saying that if someone else wins more games than you but you average more points per game, have more yards per game, more first downs, then you are more consistent which must mean that you are a better team so we will make you the champion.

hell thats how college football is..............all the damn polls and strength of schedule crap...............football and racing are kinda the same if you really think about it..............in football you can still go to the super bowl with 4 losses...........in racing you can win the title with only one win, but you still have to be consistant..........sure ryan newman had 6 wins or whatever, but how many of those other races did he dnf or finish poorly..........so just because a guy wins the most races he should automatically win the championship ??

I'm not saying consistency shouldn't be rewarded. What I'm saying is that Kenseth last year should equate to your wild card team. The most wins should not neccessarily win the championship, but if you have the most you ought to be able to be in contention no matter how many DNF's. When you talk about crappy teams making the playoffs as well as the good ones, well the fact is that's a fair way of deciding the finalists so to speak, but once you make the playoffs you have to play your way into the superbowl. That's why I like this chase thing. Consistency will get you into the chase but Your gonna have to win some to win the whole thing. Bottom line is there is more interest in racing this year than in years past by both hard-core and casual NASCAR Fans.

Archived