Dickerson acquires ROMCO SLM Series

Friday, November 5, 2004

Acquisition brings fresh face, old values to ROMCO Series

by Andy Taylor

KILGORE, Texas -- The ROMCO racing series was started by Robert Mullins in 1999. Mullins was a driver who needed a venue and a way to promote his company and thus the Series was born. At first the Series ran on three tracks, San Antonio Speedway, Thunder Hill Raceway, and Houston Motor Speedway. Over the next six years the Series grew at a phenomenal rate. They expanded to the largest venue in Texas, Texas Motor Speedway and drew fans from all over the state. Today the Series enjoys an extremely dedicated fan-base at five different tracks for some of the most exciting racing in Texas.

Terry and Tammy Dickerson of Trackside Entertainment have reached an agreement with Mullins to purchase the series. Terry Dickerson, previous co-owner of Lone Star Speedway for the past four years, was the recipient of Texas Motor Speedway's Lanny Edwards Award in 2004. Lone Star Speedway in Kilgore is a dirt track that hosts weekly races and special events such as O’Reilly SUPR late models and The World of Outlaw Series late models and sprint cars.

The ROMCO Series will undergo a moderate face-lift including a Series name change as well as a logo change, although the new name and logo have yet to be released. The company also looks to expand to new tracks beyond the 2004 schedule which included Texas Motor Speedway, Thunder Hill Raceway, San Antonio Speedway, Corpus Christi Motor Speedway and the Houston Motor Speedway. Other series may also be added to the roster in the future. Trackside Entertainment aims to put the racing back into the hands of the driver and their crew and move away from the politics of money.

“I want to make the racing more exciting for the fans and more affordable for the drivers and their teams.” said Dickerson.

A thorough three-year plan will be implemented to insure the success of the series. The company is also negotiating to bring in several major sponsorships to the series and offer contingencies for the drivers and their teams.

The acquisition has been finalized as of today.

Trackside Entertainment would like to thank Mr. Mullins for his hard work and dedication not only to the Series but to the sport itself. Not only did he devote six years of his life to making the Series what it is today, but he paved the road to success for late model racing for years to come. For that we are truly grateful.

Mullins would like to thank the officials and the drivers for all of their hard work and dedication and the fans for their devotion to the sport. Mullins would like to give a special thanks to Terry and Linda Barden without whom the success of the series would not be possible.

TSRS would be a logical candidate as would the TAMS. ARTS would also be appropriate if they had a few more trucks.

And in Texas, Texas Pro Sedans might work as a support class.

Nick Holt

Well what would the off season be without controversy. Jracer98 you are so right on the third paragraph. The other thing is what new tracks? Am i missing something here?

Where is there any new tracks to expand to within the states that surround us? I hope this guy has a big rabbit in the hat that he is going to pull out.

Regarding USLMA tracks,

Just for reference, It's 15 hours from San Antonio to I 25 in Pueblo if you average 55 mph including stops.

On the other hand, Sandia in New Mexico( and Thunder Hill) are for sale so maybe he could use the NASCAR model and own the series and the tracks!

Jay

Tracks in the surrounding states are as follows:

Oklahoma-Altus 1/4 and JRP 1/4 mile. Jrp is a relatively new track outside the Tulsa area, have no idea what their plans are.

New Mexico-Sandia in Albuquerque. Is currently for sale, but ran anyway.

Louisiana-NONE. The Shreveport Fairgrounds is no more. The track was torn out in '85; the stands a few years later.

And, other than Wichita Falls, which would not be a very good show for ROMCO (TIDA was follow the leader in '96), No other asphalt tracks exist in Texas which could be brought back to life.

Just an opinion, but most of these are unfeasible for 2/3rds of the current ROMCO teams, in terms of travel expenses.

Is Texas World Speedway in Bryan/College Station an option. Sure would like to see some racing there again. ARTS,ROMCO,TAMS,TPS,ASA, are am I blowing smoke.

JMO

rwmom,

The only way TWS is an option is if you rent the track, and do not plan to have spectators. The owner, Dick Conole, does not care for spectator events.

Basically, we would pay to borrow the track, and provide our own purse.

It's a shame, I have fond memories of that place in the 70's and 80's.

It would be great if we could consider Texas World Speedway in Bryan/College Station. I have seen some spectacular races there. TSRS,ROMCO.ARTS,,TAMS,TPS, would be super.

JMO

• 4 months later...
From 11/4/04...

....On the other hand, Sandia in New Mexico( and Thunder Hill) are for sale so maybe he (Mr. Dickerson) could use the NASCAR model and own the series and the tracks!

Jay

ta-da !!! This seeing the future thing is easy. I wonder how Ms. Cleo (CALL ME NOW!!!) goofed it up?

Jay

Archived