wanted

ups88john

engine builder that knows how to read a rule book, must make good power, and be legal. willing to pay very good money for good work, but it has to be legal. the crank rule is 3.48 stroke, not 3.50 any help would be greately appreciated.

big john

Guest The_Greek
engine builder that knows how to read a rule book, must make good power, and be legal. willing to pay very good money for good work, but it has to be legal. the crank rule is 3.48 stroke, not 3.50 any help would be greately appreciated.

big john

call Long's, everybody deserves a second chance.

Long's has been in business forever and has built fast, reliable engines for many front runners over the years. It just doesn't make sense that they would suddenly start building illegal engines that don't even last part of a season without blowing up.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Nick Holt

yes nick, you are missing something, when the main guy in the shop is working at fiesta texas, and the motors are blowing up, something is going on. the reason the crank is illegal is because lloyd broke a crank, longs didnt have a legal crank to put in, so they put the illegal on in without telling lloyd or arthur, that was their excuse. on the timing chains, i dunno, i think it could be a parts failure, but after the first or second one they could use some common sense and try something different. good thing they didnt check the cam, it was probally illegal too. if you have a longs motor, i would suggest you have it checked for idiot parts, could cost you alot more than you think.

big john

as of now we are leaning towards mission auto parts or spreen racing engines. danny webb has come well recommended by people here in san antonio and is known to put out some good h.p. numbers so we'll see when i actually get a chance to talk to them both.

seems like a lot of the fast guys have a mission missle under their hood so if money wasn't an object they would be my first choice...............danny webb seems to know his stuff.................spreen has always had fast motors too so that would be a good choice as well..............is this the first time that longs engines have been illegal...............i dont think it is the first time and as far as that goes it is only illegal if you get caught so how many longs motors out there are illegal but just haven't been caught yet..................if i was jason smith i would say i bought the transmission from longs too...................tehehe :lol:

Have had engines from most people mentioned. Never been DQ'd with Longs, and they have had the most durable of them all. As a matter of fact, blew a fresh one in Houston from Longs competition, installed tired Longs engine and qualified 1st. Everyone has a bad day every now and then.

Just for perspective--->.02 in additional stroke is 2 cubic inches in a 4.030 type 355. It's illegal if the rule book says to use 3.48 stroke. Period.

That said, if it is allowed in the rules, most people use 3.5's to get closer to zero deck height without having to deck the block.

This is a minor sin that would be hard to see on a great dyno. You would have to get out to offset grinding a 2.1 journal down to 2.0 and creating a 3 and 9/16 "stroker (363 @4.030 bore) to see a real change.

Pick the appropriate size cross (.02?)to nail this fellow to.

Jay

no there isnt any truth to the stupid rumor that this crank has been in different motors throughout the years and if so i had no knowledge. all i know is that is not the crank that i bought and paid for to be in that motor. like i said i dont build them all i can do is trust they are putting the right parts in them. i dont like that i am having to walk away from the longs, they have built motors for my dad since the early 90's. maybe i'm being stubborn and bullheaded but in my opinion what they did is just not acceptable to me and i am choosing to switch engine builders. like our team has said to them i have no ill will towards jerry, virgil or johnny long.

Archived