Idea for SAS and THR.

Jason

THR-If you change to 10" tires will you gain more drivers than you lose.

I think it would be the other way around...San Antonio is the only track on 10' tires why should THR LM have to change tires so some San Antonio guys will come race THR? I am going to stop with that before I get too carried away... -Tim-

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a fan, I would love to see LM's, SS's or HS's run an entire night or split a night with a 300 lap feature or a 200 lap main feature with another class running 100. Tire changes, fill-ups and the whole 9 yards. I realize it would be costly to get enough tires to do an entire change, but if this happened once a month at each track, with a different class(es) each time, I would think people could (maybe) find a way to get another set of tires before their “big race” in a couple of months. Plus, if it went well enough, I would think the crowd turn out might be larger. Normally the "big" events have been left to RAMCO and TSRS. Why not give SS's and HS's their shot at the spot light?

BTW, when I refer to SS's and HS's, I am also talking about CCMS's and SAS's equivalent.

Jason,

Add the dirt cars to the list. We could run on our off nights. Just need to equal out the rules for all. Don't know how many rainouts I could have ran CC. If it all worked out a guy could run for the championship on dirt friday's and asphalt on Saturday.

i agree with mark, if you are going to make a decision on tires make it now before the teams start buying and building for next season............most guys buy new wheels and tires for the following season anyway at least if they have enough time before they buy they wont have to spend money on wheels and tires they'll never use..............as far as the front wheel drive junk i wouldn't mess with that but a big car class would be nice............just big 4 door boats with a 4 point cage..........i remember one time i was at ccms and this guy had this cadillac and that was fun watching those big cars race.............thats what racing was all about once upon a time having fun..............the roadrunner class started out a good cheap class but now it has turned into a run what you brung, and now they are talking about ruining the sportsman class again...........seems like every 5 years or so they decide to ruin a good thing.............the chargers and thunder cars were great but they had to ruin those...........now here we go again with 2 good classes that will soon be ruined as well..............i think the track now is better than it was with [edited out by Nick Holt. 11/3/04} scott in charge so mike has done good as far as that goes but the track as a whole i believe was better before it went nascar sanctioned............seems like every since they went nascar sanctioned the track has gone downhill...........jmo

Would it be thinking too much to create a set of rules for 2005 but have a grandfather clause so that guys that dont want to change right away can still run thier car but with a weight penalty untill the 2006 season and then they have to make the changes ect ect ect... Also I would like to series where you also make the rules the same to include the I-37 cars with the same rules as well. That way you could have a mini points race and allow the asphalt guys to run dirt and keep it to where the dirt guys can run asphalt.. Make the points eligable or both Fri. nights on dirt and Sat. on asphalt and allow them to run either SAS THR or CC on Sat. and earn points to this new class in addition to thier home track points. I know for the Darin Leonard's, Jason Kelly's, Jonny Torres's. You have a minimum amt of races the drivers have to run both tracks say 10 out of the full season, set a start and finish date and race...you can set up a points fund by dividing it evenly between the tracks that will allow for the idea if all the tracks do it its 25% share, for 3 tracks 33% and so on... In order to make sure the track gets their money's worth you take the minimum amout of races to aquire points and devide that by the tracks so that say for instance you have 12 race minimum and 4 tracks the driver has to appear at all 4 tracks 4 times to be eligible... What do you think...Would it be too hard to create a spec. street tire for this class?

Rebalracer, you said that you believe that when sas went nascar it has gone down hill.What was so wrong with that decision, And can you give reasons why. just asking.I mean no harm.

Let the games begin. As was posted, Yes the THR/TSRS latemodels are basically chassis equal to the SAS LMS cars. Most of the THR/TSRS cars have quick changes or floaters and good hubs front and rear and could handle the 10" tires. Although some people think that running the 8" tires put the driver more into the performance, if they can't run more than 10-15 green flag laps at one of the shorter tracks without a wreck, it is kind of hard to have a show. With the 8" tires there is so much more slipping and sliding and people wrecking with all the power and no tire. Hey, use the 8" tire and get rid of some of the horsepower, if the cars run close, chances are the fans will not be able to tell the difference, only the driver will. If the drivers keep deciding the rules, it will just be a big social club and mutual admiration event and who needs fans, can we say sports car racing. Also with the aftermarket bodies those skinnys just don't look right. Suggestions:

1.Carb- change to 350 or series/sanction issued restrictor plate for 8"tire because extra hp not necessary and with 10" the bigger carb puts to much stress on weekly racer, the idea is consistent car count.

2. Intake- perfomer-reason hood clearance and easier teching and less excuses for not having the right intake. 8 or 10"

3.No air box-open air cleaner-again who needs more hp when cant get traction and if used with 10" tire more hp means more blown engines and reduced consistent car count.

It is nice for all the racers to know about all the trick things they can do to increase performance, but knowing about and being able to up keep the most expensive part of the race car for consistent car counts is two different pictures. Think about how many classes or series have raced themselves into the poor house because they had parts or wanted to apply everything they saw in CIRCLE TRACK. The promoters have to protect the racers from themselves if their venues are to survive. Know why you are writing your rules and not just monkey see monkey do some other series where the economics of the region might be better.

It is easier for everyone to detune a little and survive or be extinct. Think about it, have less HP and more tire and you have not lost any speed, but you can show up every week because you are not paying your machine shop bill every time you turn around. This combination works just ask the 300 plus LMS teams on the east coast or why IMCA mods mandated the 350cfm carb. Both are well established series and have very large car counts.

Is this region of the country just too damn bull headed to survive.

Thanks for the clarification Randy. The point was and is that a large sanction like IMCA see the value in trying to help the racer not spend his way into the poorhouse at that level. If we were not talking about a 22 plus week season and a better pay structure then the larger carbs would be somewhat workable. Look back in the archives in TSZ and look how many people post saying that the reason they were not here or there at different races/tracks because they are waiting to get parts out of the machine shop. Its not the chassis that are keeping people from the track, it is the most expensive and largest single item in the car, the engine.

DURABILITY,DURABILITY,DURABILITY=CONSISTENT CAR COUNT.

Another idea that has not been talked about lately is power to weight.

Let the weekly latemodels weigh 2900-3000lbs and make them run the less horsepower motor. Easier on tires, easier on motors same perception of speed. Just takes some removal of lead in most of the current cars.

Archived