Idea for SAS and THR.

Jason

You guys ever consider maybe running the LM classes every other week? Maybe just alternate weeks for THR and SAS. If a guy wants to run weekly he can run at each track and go for 2 track championships. Basically just stagger it so if a guy wants to take a break he can. What you guys think? This could also open the door for more big races at all 3 TTOPA tracks in the future. Maybe the nights where LM's dont run have a touring series at your track. First thing that needs to be done is make the LM's have the same tires between the 2 tracks.

Jason

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason it sounds like a good idea in theory but it won't happen at SAS. The late models have to race like 18 races just to have a shot at a top10 finish in NASCAR Sunbelt points.

In order to win the National points, you don't have to race a latemodel. You just have to race in the "Feature Division". Some tracks that could be a modified or even a street stock type class. But if they want to compete for the NASCAR Nat'l or regional title and they want to drve a latemodel and the track wants latemodels to be their feature division then yes they have to meet that minimum and your idea wouldn't work. Besides it makes too much sense to work.

Then make the Streets the premier class in the NASCAR division of the track and make it so Late Models aren't in the NASCAR stuff. You could just drop the NASCAR sanction from the track in general. Maybe start up a new class of cars (ministock or limited modifieds) since late models wouldn't be running every week. Then put the LM's on 8" tires and go! THR and SAS could work so well together on their LM classes to help revive them. Maybe when the LM's don't run have a reduced admission too by like $2 since you wouldn't have to pay out the big purse to them.

NASCAR doesn't require a specific time frame, but it does have a final date, around mid-September. This year's final date was September 19. The 18 races are required to compete in the regional standings, just as Johnny stated. Starting before mid-March would compromise the grandstand crowds . . . weather is a big factor (cold and/or rainy). Rainouts and holidays during the year also take their toll on the schedule.

Suggestions have been made for running double-feature nights. That, too, can get messy. Since the drivers, pit crews and fans would only pay one admission charge, the grandstand and pit income would not be increased. Therefore, the normal weekly purses would have to be split between the two features. And a driver who tears up his car in the first feature would have significantly less time to repair damages the same night.

And Johnny is correct also in stating that the track selects the feature division. SAS Late Models can (and do) compete against modified dirt cars at other tracks in the region.

Even if the 18-race requirement is changed, fewer events will make it even harder to get sponsors (less ad appearances for their dollar).

We've kicked around these ideas, and it's difficult to make changes as long as SAS maintains its NASCAR sanction. But then again, maybe someone has an idea we haven't considered, and we welcome your input.

First off this is not meant as a bash to any one track or member of management...But why do these tracks not operate like a normal business as when management doesnt get the results they are either fired or reassigned... I have seen it many times in different aspects of business where if you didnt make sales or didnt make a profit then you hit the door and they bring someone in to make a difference.... Maybe for some of these tracks they need a influx of new blood and new ideas or maybe they dont ... Or are the owners to blame for just letting things go as the status quo?

First off this is not meant as a bash to any one track or member of management...But why do these tracks not operate like a normal business as when management doesnt get the results they are either fired or reassigned... I have seen it many times in different aspects of business where if you didnt make sales or didnt make a profit then you hit the door and they bring someone in to make a difference... Maybe for some of these tracks they need a influx of new blood and new ideas or maybe they dont ... Or are the owners to blame for just letting things go as the status quo?

Now let's see. Who in the world could Marc possibly be referring to here that needs to get fired.

Brian Callaway? Jim Lynch? Nope, because they own THR and would have a hard time firing themselves. Maybe he had Owen Pittman in mind. Naw.. Owen's done a great job this year at CCMS and certainly deserves his job back if he's willing to put up with all the whining, crying and general chicken crap again next year.

Guess that kinda narrows it down. Show him the door. Bring in the new blood - maybe a racing photographer with lots of er.. ah.. well... really great ideas for making SAS a huge overnight success. LOL

Nick Holt

Nick seems like THR did well this year and I didnt see a lot of racers leaving because of you. Maybe speedracer 24 was talking about another track.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I really didn't think he was referring to me..

Nick Holt

No this had nothing to do with any one track... It just seems that the only time the management of a track changes is when the owners change...This had nothing to do with THR SAS CC ... You want to infer that I am talking about SAS and Mike Sepich go ahead and think that but I never said that nor is it what I brought it up for.

If Sas had the advertising budget THR had it might be a different story as well... You cant fire the owners but you can buy them out... Maybe someone will buy the lease from that guy and get some more blood in there in blood I mean money... I wish I had the money to do it because I know what I would try to do but it takes money to do it. I think someone said before I dont know who but it takes money to make money...That also goes for other tracks in the area. Hill Country is suffering too as was Bellmead in Waco... Its not just an asphalt problem.

If Sas had the advertising budget THR had it might be a different story as well...

You have information about the THR and SAS advertising budgets, Marc?

Jeez... I talk with the SAS General Manager at least three or four times a week on TTOPA matters and work closely with the THR ownership as their employee and I can promise you I don't have access to that sort of information. Would you mind sharing it with us?

Nick Holt

Question does Chuck advertise for you during his radio show? Is so is it pro bono? I ask because SAS doesnt have that avenue at this time. Thats what I mean by advertising and advertising budget... I doubt you can get Trey Ware or anyone from local radio to do any consistant advertising for the track without paying for it... Catching my drift yet...I must say tho Chuckie and Debwill both do an awesome job with what they have to work with but would there be any differance if they had more to work with...

Archived