Top five reasons dirt racing is better

rebelracewriter

#1 Dirt racers will drive 2 days for a $2000 to win race, knowing if they finish in the top four they will lose their motor, automatically.

#1A Then drive two days back to race for National, Regional, State and track points the next weekend.

#2 Dirt racers will race 2, 3, 4, up to five times per week(in certain areas).

#3 Dirt racers aren't afraid to scratch their cars.

#4 Dirt racers aren't afraid to race their cars on pavement.

#5 Dirt racers are RACERS!

rebs got a point-pay $4000 to win in a dirt race-pits would be bustin at the seams-just think if I37 paid this amount-probably have cars pitting on the frontage road-lol-on rebs point #2-henry witt is a good example-i remember when he would run 2 tracks on same nite to gain points-he'd race at 281 and then haul ass to bellmead and start the feature at the rear- i believe imca made a new rule last year that you could only get points at one track per nite to stop him(they should call it THE WITT RULE)-

Dirt Drivers dont have to buy 4 tires to be competive everytime they race and they can race on the same tires from track to track. I understand they can run on the same set for up to a year. less cash outlay more profit or less money lost to the racer.

Guest The_Greek

if you wanna see more side by side racing and more passing including up front, you should defintetly be at a dirt track. if you wanna see follow the leader with very little passing then stick to the asphalt.

racerjim

depends on what type of car you race. Sprint cars and late models and some modifieds will go thru as many tires as you do at an asphalt track. that's not talking about having to buy tires where you will have the right componds.It's just like anything else in racing if you are going to run up front your going to spend the money on tires.

At some point the finger pointing will die down and we can get on with the business of the autopsy.

Reb asks some fair questions.

#1 The whole supernationals thing amazes me and makes me believe that mass hypnosis is possible. That said, they do get a lot of cars so what's to be learned? I believe that some of their keys to success are the timing and geographic site of the race. It is in the middle of the season, the middle of the country and in the middle of the greatest concentration of what has become the largest class of race car in the country.

You can't do anything about the last two but what about that first one? I believe that the "potential" possible car count is the greatest when they have it. The guys that are late getting their stuff going are available, people haven't gotten to the point in the season that if they have a big crash or mechanical meltdown that they just park it until next year and , most importantly. they still have funds and "time"(relative to family/school/etc.). The timing is so important to them that the weekly sanction tracks are off or go "no points" that week.

#1A "Points" are a promoters tool. I have seen racers do some amazingly stupid things in the name of "points".

#2 Cars/rules have to match for this to be possible.

#3 Silly

#4 I don't see any overwhelming evidence of this.

#5 No argument from me about this.

You have to give CC huge credit for paying the advertised purse.

As always,

Just my opinion.

Jay

LMAO :lol::lol:

sly, I was just poking at the pavement guys that seem to always have some reason NOT to race. Actually I grew with pavement racing, and raced 3 1/2 years on pavement.

Jracer, Love your assessment of the Super Nationals LOL The point I was trying to make about points--HUH-- :huh: was for the people saying we can't race because we have a points race next week. Henry Witt is a prime example, he traveled about 14 hours to Boone, Iowa, raced for sixth nights, traveled 14 hours back, then raced two nights the next few weekends. All this while in the middle of a battle for his second IMCA NATIONAL Championship. David Murray trashed his car the weekend before the Super Nationals, put a new one together, won the Super Nationals, won the Race of Champions, drove ten hours back to Kansas and raced three times each weekend the final weeks to secure the 2004 championship.

jim, With as dry slick as tracks in Texas get, a new right rear is almost always essential for the modified guys each week. Being open-wheeled they tear up quite a few also. Maybe not four each week, but more than you'd think.

tommy, I called it the "Henry Witt rule" :D

With as dry slick as tracks in Texas get, a new right rear is almost always essential for the modified guys each week. Being open-wheeled they tear up quite a few also. Maybe not four each week, but more than you'd think.

If those guys would "scuff" those new tires on the front one or two weeks then put it on the rear... they'd get more life out of them on the dry slick tracks. Putting a new "sticker" tire on the back of a car on a dry slick abrasive track uses up the tire quickly. Put a heat cycle or 2 in it before throwing it on the back.

On a tacky/heavy track, New rubber all the way around is fast!

Reb,

Agree with you all the way. Maybe the asphalt guys should invite the dirt guys to run at the end of the season instead of Late Models. Modifieds would have put on a hell of a show and there are cars all over Texas ready to run. Not just the modifieds, but all the classes would show.

Guest RandyBorlace

I grew up asphalt racing from 1991-1998 or so, my cousin started racing dirt 9 years ago at texas dirt, i started in 02 at i37, by far the most exciting racing is on the dirt, but i am still at an asphalt track every saturday . i guess really it's all what you grew up around, i am a dirt racer, and a born again "asphaltivian" lol, plus all those asphalt guys are worried about neatness, and some won't try dirt because the cars get muddy, try it once and you probably won't go back to asphalt.

Archived