Late Models shoot themselves in foot

rebelracewriter

I dont race with the TSRS series I run At SAS on a weekly basis and my expenditures are not as high but neither is the purse. believe me if i could have made this race i would have. the crew guys dont pay there way in or for there licence at he begining of the year and this is what we have to do to get people to come to the track heck most weeks i load all my stuff get the drinks and get the trailer form 30 miles away so i can race . i usually start about 9:30 am and my crew meets me at the track most night im am worn out by the time i get to the track. I know wah wah wah cry baby Jim

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i can add my .o2 in on this

i dont race for the money who does. i race for the glory and the thrill. that is what a real racer does. if you look at it the race at tms is alot like racing in the big leagues and want to race like the big leagues. i would do the same thing. you may never know who is going to be there watching you race . if you win it might turn into something better then you are racing now. and then it couldnt. it is just the chance you have to take. every driver in the big leagues started where you are today. ask a nextel cup driver where he got his start and i bet he will tell you the same thing. it does matter how much money you have won it is just tallent and showing it. and tms is a good place to show it right now not at ccms. :o:P:angry::):ph34r:

I agree Colgate,

2 years down the road, when someone is looking at your resume, I don't believe they will ask you how big the purse is. They wont ask you if the stands were open. They will ask you where you finished, and if you finished high they will congratulate you and show you the respect you deserve for making it on a big time track.

The race tonight wouldn't have,and couldn't have been any better,if nine more cars started.It may have been a little noisier at the start with a few extra crashes.Jim,I knew you probably wouldn't make the race just by the tone of your voice when we talked at H.E.B. the other night.The racers that were there tonight were the ones that,for the most part,have the means,logistically,and economocally,to do so.Four grand definately made these guys race harder than I have seen in a long time,so Jim add the repair costs of your,inevitably tore up car,to that list.I can tell you that,because I have been"just a fan"for thirty years now,I understand where Jason is coming from with his complaint.Time and time again,we see people,like Owen,trying to improve the sports popularity in Texas.When the bucks are put up,the racers that complain about the tracks,the purse.......just don't show.I'm sure we can go back through the archives on this forum to make that point understandable.Either way,I'm sorry the racers couldn't sneek one more race into their itinerary,but I think it went off just fine without them.The racers that do sneek in whatever races they can thank god you try and do make those.Thank you very much Jim and the rest,from "just a race fan". B)

He came out of four real high and powdered the front straitaway wall on Friday night. It took him a couple of minutes to get out of the car and he seemed to be stumbling around a little, but should be okay, the car however. As a fan, I was disappointed with the car count, but the twelve car race was one of the best I've seen. For the guys that were racing, you knew they were going for 4000 with some VERY aggressive driving, but the tech lane was just as interesting as the race. Still don't know who won now? Last I heard they were checking the stroke on Lloyd Alexander's car, Ervin Breiten was legal and Englehardt was dq'd after his car looked like a winged modified when he came in.

Colgate keep racing for the thrill and the glory haha and not for the money and in a couple of years when you have a debt that is so big that all you can do is sit in the stands an watch( not that sitting in the stands is a bad thing ) post again. Abroke racer is no good to the fans , the track, his family,or himself i.I have been racing since 1986 and there are not 5 drivers still racing at our track that were there when I started Three to five years and they are done because they race for the thrill and glory and not the money.

THIS IS JASON:

12 cars started the feature and those cars put on a (*#%(*$&Y()#%*#%) show! The real drivers came out and raced for money and glory. What a show! Invert was badass and these guys came to race! Last REAL race of the season and you know what. We don't need any freakin TSRS races with lame rules and 3 hour timed races. We have big money LM races that put on a show and race for the big check at the end of the night. The guys who were at the races tonight saw some awesome stuff. Craziest and BEST race I have ever seen. Thanks to Alexanders, Englehardt, Ervin, Aramendia, Gurals, Horelka, that hogg trapper, and old man Bendele for putting on a show for the fans tonight! You guys deserve double the purse. Job well done Owen and congrats to Lemon Lime on the win and taking the car home in one piece!!!

Colt if it was about money people would of shown up to the first SAS race the LM's had at SAS and not that TSRS crashfest. Its not so rosy. Lets see how many more writeups in the newspapers and tv time that TSRS drivers get because of the race at TMS over the race down here in CCMS. No fans at TMS and 1k is not worth skipping 4k and cheering fans.

Back out to CCMS I go.

Jason

DVeit:

Now that Jason gave me back my keyboard I just would like to say... werd...

So I guess once again this is TSRS's fault. Untill you start writing the checks and budgeting $'s for races you might see why there are less and less cars on the track at the end of the year. Its easy to Sunday morning quaterback and say well more TSRS cars should have been at the race but what about the SAS cars, what about the THR cars, what about the Houston LM's? Just because the TSRS has a larger number of cars automaticly you take the time to bash them even though you only had 3 SAS cars 2 Corpus cars pulled from the weeds and 1 or 2 THR cars. Just because its 4k to win you assume all TSRS cars should show up and race without having to worry about their wallet untill after the race. I wonder how much Ervin Larry and Ryan alone are going to have to spend in parts for thier cars. I am willing to bet if more TSRS cars showed up and there were just as many wrecks and just as much damage you would still be blaming TSRS just because its the chic thing to do. Thats all I got for now...

Guest The_Greek

just a shout out to Tommy and Teresa Gural, first time ive seen a husband and wife team out on the track at CC, a 5th and 7th place finish is very respectable glad ya could make it down here for the race. would like to get your thoughts on racing at the 1/4 bullring.

Dude if you don't want to see badass racing stick to TSRS races. What I saw in SA was a joke and I kep't my mouth shut. Those drivers knew that racing for big money there may be some damaged racecars but most of that was cosmetic on all 3 cars. All the drivers fighting for the lead last night drove their asses off. Hell the 53's LR shock was broken and his car's body was well I guess your gonna have to show everyone with some pics. That race right there reminded me of the Winston in NASCAR racing. Racers go all out and this was the last race of the year for most of these guys. I honestly thought it would have been a boring race with 12 cars but I was wrong. See people are going to tell their friends about this race and it will spread. I hope they have the race next year (maybe a couple), because I bet there will be more people at the next one when they hear about what the missed. The cars didn't get the cosmetic damage until about 20 to go when they knew it was time to go! No HMP late model's because they weren't allowed to run. I guess its just because their so far off on rules compared to these 2 classes. The Gural's are THR drivers and I'm glad they showed. Englehardt is also a THR driver since TSRS has been trying like hell to kick them out anyways. Congrats to all the drivers and the fans got a treat. Great job this year Owen.

Jason

entry fee: $100.00

pit passes: 5x$25.00ea x 2 days $250.00

Hotel: 3 Rooms @ $59.00 x 2 Days $354.00

Tires: 6x $95.00ea $570.00

Race Fuel 20 Gal@ $4.50gal $ 90.00

tow truck fuel 50 gal @ $1.91 gal $ 95.50

Oil & Filter mobile 1 @4.50qt X9 & filter $ 43.50

food for crew $7.50 per meal X 5 meals X 5 people $187.50

TOTAL ($1690.50)

SECOND PLACE PRIZE MONEY $2000.00

NET GAIN $ 309.50

priceless...and for everything else there's Mastercard! B)

ask a nextel cup driver where he got his start and i bet he will tell you the same thing. it does matter how much money you have won it is just tallent and showing it. and tms is a good place to show it right now not at ccms.

Yep...ask Terry Labonte the same thing...........TMS wasnt even around then and look where he got too.

I respect Jim coming on here and talking about just plain cant afford it, Jim as well as others are a budgeted team who cant make extra shows...thats cool ...as a fan, and have been going to races every weekend for the last 25 years, everyone has seen teams come and go that dont have the money to keep going,this is an expencive sport,but there are alot of well funded and deeper pockets than some teams out there that were not there. Just seems they didnt cars for one reason or another. How was the stands, full?????????

Jason

I will put my 2 cents in why people race with TSRS they get treated right not like SAS treats people.The next thing I have never seen you run from TSRS party the same people you bad mouth.I don't know why people didn't come run for the 4 grand but i do know that here was no TSRS race scheduled aganist this race.

Negative, negative, negative....

Maybe someday, ALL race fans will realize that we all need to UNITE TOGETHER (instead of bitch and moan and complain in our own little "factions")...and when that happens, the SPORT ITSELF (especially on the local level) will start getting the coverage/publicity/attention it so deserves..

Case in point...on this morning's MZone Show, we had Henry Witt on the show..we got multiple kudos for having on a "dirt" legend (thanks to Jay Hallas for the suggestion)...yet, after the show, I got an email from someone ripping me for NOT talking about the race in Corpus..

Obviously, this person LISTENED to the show...why didn't he/she just CALL THE SHOW and give us an update on it, instead of listening to the ENTIRE show then waiting to say something about it?

Folks...I love racing, and I love race fans...but as long as we're a "divided" community, and we don't work TOGETHER...then the SPORT itself will not grow--it will stagnate..And, that includes MYSELF as someone who needs to be more aware of things going on in the sport..

((Getting off my soapbox))

If half of the people komplaining about kar kount would show up with a late model they would have turned kars away. Some people have kids and family that wanted to go to hween parties last night. I saw a guy on a golf kart with a meter trick or treating, he was posing as a kompetition director. Also I thought Reb might be wondering about the Nascar ratings with the new point system, well here you go.......Final Martinsville TV Ratings up 10%: NBC's broadcast of last Sunday's Subway 500 at Martinsville Speedway drew a 4.4 final rating and a 10 share from Nielsen Media Resarch, the Sports Business Daily reports. The figures represent a 10 percent increase from last year's 4.0/10 and is even with the same race in 2002. NBC's four Chase For The Nextel Cup races are averaging a 4.7/10, up 4 percent from a 4.5/9 for the same four races last year, the Daily says.(NASCAR Scene Daily Newsletter)(10-26-2004)

we had Henry Witt on the show..we got multiple kudos for having on a "dirt" legend (thanks to Jay Hallas for the suggestion)

Wait a minute Chuckie....on a whowon post Reb said he set the whole thing up and wanted a commission, whats the real story here,lol,lol....come on Reb, fess up lol, Big Al will show you the rambler trunk if you misled him :P:rolleyes:;)

Your right Chuck...this also applies to the races its self too, this wasnt a TSRS,THR,SAS,Romco, or any other sanction race, dont matter what sanction you run or support, a big race and big money race should be supported by all to make racing grow, it would seem to me maybe all the tracks running LM or LM type cars could all run the same tire so you dont have to buy all new tires when an event not with your respected sanction has a special or if you just wanted to run a different track for the night, seems like the tire rule for the cc race was the main issue for most who didnt show. jmo

i'm just a fan for many years of this sport we love.i too was kinda dissapointed of the LM turnout but appreciate the guys who were able to come.this event was the first effort from Mr. Pittman and his staff and as first efforts go i think they did a good job and will know how to improve the event next year.i tend to agree since the bomber and super street classes have the car counts that they should be paid a higher portion of the purse.i'm not saying that 1000 and 2000 to win was necessarily too low but 4000 for a 12 car field was too high.after all all those bombers ran 50 laps with what 2 yellows, 24 streets and a lot of green flag racing. may i also suggest maybe the LMs use the cone for restarts as if they had it Sat. night most if not all of those big wrecks would not have happened.anyway thanks to all the racers who came and to Owen and his staff for putting it together

LOL Jason you just dont get it... Untill you buy a racecar run a race car and deal with the expences of a race car you just wont get it... Your looking at this as the TSRS is the reason because their scared or ? Lets look at who ran in the SAS race just for instance... Ervin,both Alexanders, Guerra (broke Fri.), New (Crash Fri.) Englehart their cars were at SAS and had no reletive issues making it easy for them to come also it might be said that other than Guerra they have a bigger budget than some of the other teams. Now Lets look at who didnt show up....Beau tore the car up and was on limited funds, Waddell tore his car up, Moczgemba #50 tore the car up, Justin Oates at the Nascar banquet, Mike Yale in the hospital due to an intestinal problem, Brad Hudak buisness conferance out of state, Jaime Fuller out of money, Ian Webster low on money, Sevilla motor, David White out on business, Mikey Cullen torn up car no funds, Mike Reininger blown motor , Robert Elizondo (sp) blown motor ... so lets see out of all those cars that I didnt mention yet who didnt show up.

Reeder, Lyon, New, JP, Stewart, B. Schild,Currey

SAS drivers didnt show up... James Cole, Jason Smith, Jesse Salazar, Danny Garcia, Robert Barker, Mark Akerman, Scott Jerkins, Mike Balzer, Wesley McGuffin, Creech (funds)... I can go on...

THR cars... Reeder, Currey, McLemore, R. Stewart, Norman, Buxton (funds), Jones(funds), Chambers...

Instead of ONLY singling out the TSRS cars you should find out the facts on why these guys didnt want to come...

Marc I will admit you have some points there. Lot of people out of money. This race needed the support of everyone and there are a lot more TSRS cars than SAS and THR lms. I hope next season we can have races like this.

Yes there is alot of TSRS cars but they are not the only cars out there and if you look at who raced at both tracks looking at points. You will find that combined SAS and THR have an equal amount of cars to TSRS... I will agree that the last SAS race was a mess and had alot of those wrecks not happened you might have seen more TSRS cars there.. Thats just how the season works out...Hopefully Owen can make it happen again next year but earlier in the season so that everyone can find a way to make it.... Of the 3 big money races ran this year the best car count came early in the season when guys had the money to attend and/or there were no major conflicts. I think if they did the same thing early on in the season maybe with the Modifieds or something things would be alot better...

Jason, besides Marc's points - TIME - Dude, wait until you have a family, obligations, and business commitments. If I raced as much as I would like to, I wouldn't be able to afford to...My wife's divorce attorney would get my whole race budget! My advice is to marry a rich, good looking racetrack girl.

I hope they have the race next year.

It was a very good race anyway. Ervin's car looked a little better than the rest on fresh tires, but after 100 laps they were all pretty equal. It was up to the drivers then... and man what a finish! In my opinion they were all "ON TOP OF THE WHEEL" for those last 50 laps. Yep, the fans got more than their money's worth this weekend.

Mel.

One last thought, I wonder how many Asphalt Modifieds they would have drawn in with a 4000 to win race???

Archived