Will Romco be around next year?

Guest Ed47

I have heard some rumors that Romco will not exist next year and or the series is looking for a buyer. Anyone know anything?

The SLM series will be around in 2005. It may have a new owner and a new name by then though. It is no secret that Robert Mullins is selling the series.

Nick Holt

Who was the guy at SAS? I oveerheard on the PA a promoter from KIlgore,which makes me ask is it the current promoter from Lone Star speedway or the previous one? Terry Dickerson is the former promoter of Lonestar Speedway,(if I remember right). Another thought is if it is the current promoter and he is thinking of paving the track,you would see one wickedly fast track with a facility unlike any near SA.

Who was the guy at SAS? I oveerheard on the PA a promoter from KIlgore,which makes me ask is it the current promoter from Lone Star speedway or the previous one? Terry Dickerson is the former promoter of Lonestar Speedway,(if I remember right). Another thought is if it is the current promoter and he is thinking of paving the track,you would see one wickedly fast track with a facility unlike any near SA.

97car,

It is Terry Dickerson.

Nick Holt

Is there a market up there for SLM racing? Isn't that why ROMCO did go to Wichita Falls? That's the reason I heard, ROMCO had no market there. Even if the series is sold and they pave Lonestar, it might be hard to convience the sponsors to give more money for that market.

I wonder if the new owner will expand the series to OK or even try to get a race or to in LA, oh wait they don't have any paved tracks in LA do they?

:D Don't get exited guys he is not the current promoter at Lonestar,and that region is historically dirt,but maybe someone could buy Boothill speedway in Shreveport and GASP,pave it. I understand they used to have some good races at the fairgrounds there.

Take it from someone who came from boothill which is actually in greenwood just outside of shreveport, dont count that track getting asphalt. I will have to say I have seen some of the very best racing asphalt or dirt at boothill week in and week out. When guys like Starr, Moyer, Day, Grigsby, Hennigan just to name a few race there they must be doing something right. Dirt super late models race there often and the track is also used for the Louisiana state championship. That would be about a 6 to 7 hr drive from SA.

:D True RPFAN,I had the most fun back around 87 when it was a big 1/4 mile,but I read that they shut down due to car and crowd count,partly because Ark-La_Tx being fairly close. They was still running the mudbog and last I saw still talked about doing the La. championship. Was just a thought,could lead to a neat scenerio if someoone could open Jackson Miss. track too. A asphalt track would have a difficult time in that region.

That picture of Jackson is 2 years old.

From that link, widen the picture until you see the lake just southwest of the track. Look at what circles that lake, and you'll see why that track will never re-open.

The problem is with a track like TWS, I don't think they let people in the stands because of their condition. All paying fans would probably have to be in the infield. Then you have to have enough $$$ coming in to pay the purse + what it costs to rent the track. Sponsors would have to help out a lot. A dirt track would be cool but I doubt they would ever go for that.

Archived