TAMS Rules

hray

On another thread there's a discussion of TSRS rules. Let's talk about TAMS rules.

When are TAMS cars going to be allowed to run QC rearends? Any touring series should be allowed to run QC's. It only makes sense. It's less expensive than the 9" with multiple pumpkins and if someone wants to run the 9" they could still do it. You can tweak the RPM closer for each track condition and parts are cheaper if you bend or break something. The East Coast and Florida mods figured this out a long time ago---Is Texas going to remain in the dark ages another season?

And while we're talking about cutting costs, how about revalveable shocks? Although they are more expensive per shock, you would only have to buy 4 instead of 6 or 8.

Common sense folks--let's apply some common sense. As I've said before, the tighter the rules are, the more expensive it is to race.

" It's less expensive than the 9" with multiple pumpkins and if someone wants to run the 9" they could still do it. You can tweak the RPM closer for each track condition and parts are cheaper if you bend or break something"

I agree and if you want to run a 9" by all means run one. The 9" is lighter in weight, but the QC is easier to adjust from track to track, weighs more than a 9' but will get you dialed almost exactly to what you want. If you ever bend an axel tube you can replace one on a QC rearend.

It makes sense to have the choice, so folks can run what they prefer, it does not seem like the QC has a big advantage over a 9".

JMO

RUNNING A QC JUST MAKES SENSE. AS HRAY SAID IF YOU ARE RUNNING A TOURING SERIES A QC IS FAR LESS EXPENSIVE THAN A 9IN. COMPARE $70 FOR QC GEARS TO $170 FOR A 9IN. ON TOP OF THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SET-UP THE RING & PINION, FOR SOME IT'S NOT SO EASY. ALSO BUYING A SPOOL OR LOCKER IS A ONE TIME DEAL COMPARED TO MULTIPLE 3RD MEMBERS. THE ABILITY TO MAKE A CHOICE ON SOMETHING THAT GIVES YOU NO ADVANTAGE ON THE TRACK, BUT A BIG ADVANTAGE OF TIME IN THE SHOP & MONEY IN THE WALLET IS SOMETHING EVERY RACER NEEDS, IT JUST MAKES SENSE. GIVE THE RACERS A CHOICE!!!

I ALSO AGREE WITH THE RE-VALVEABLE / RE-BUILDABLE SHOCKS. THOSE KIND OF SHOCKS ARE GETTING CHEAPER & CHEAPER EACH SEASON. IN THE LONG RUN IT COSTS THE RACER LESS!!!

At least NO35KRACING and the Shrimp have TAMS cars. Those are the individuals who need to have the input, not those not running the series.

I couldn't disagree more. If the costs of running any series is lowered it will attract more participants. Sometimes it takes someone thinking out of the box to see the obvious. If those guys have the "we've always done it this way so why change" attitude, they are certainly not the ones I would want to have the only input if I was running this series.

I have a modified and I wouldnt mind spending the extra money for a quick change. Im not that old but it sure does suck having to change the pumpkins week in and week out. As far as shocks are concerned the revalvables would be better because by the time you pay for several different kinds of shocks you could have bought a complete set of revalvables.

hray and STAGGER's IP's are nearly identical.  Either in the same building/house or in the same neighborhood.  lol

What's the 3rd octet?

Tim

I know who STAGGER is; he's on the same server (Omni Internet) I'm on. He shall remain anonamous.

TAMS needs to starting paying out a better purse, the payout is pathetic (imo) winning a race barely covers the expenses for that event. and the rest of the payout might get you a whataburger on your way home.

A little money spent on a good promoter could do wonders, but that's a whole other topic. I want to see the cost of racing in this series come down and the ease of getting setup for each track go up.

Modracer, If you're building a mod, there is no additional cost; the QC is less. Since you already have a mod, you could probably sell the housing, pumpkin, and extra gears for what the QC would cost. When we raced TAMS, it would take us about 30 min. to change the pumpkin (we had 1 for ea. track already set up) and we have a lift in the shop. If you wanted to change at the track (like CC when you need more bite), lots of luck. With the a QC I can do it in 5 min. at the shop or at the track and I don't have to go from a 6.50 all the way to a 6.33, I can go from a 6.58 to a 6.48 or a 6.39 or a 6.32----you get the point!

The shocks are the same way. Revalveables are down to less than $150 ea. and you only need 4 plus a valve kit.

THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE IT WILL NEVER GET DONE!

As far as tires, and the other things suggested, if it lowers the cost, does not hinder performance and retains or improves safety, it should be looked at. As far as the fuel and motor suggestions; Wayne will never do anything that will restrict the dirt cars from racing. If he did The_Greek's "pathetic payout" might be even more pathetic!

hray and STAGGER's IP's are nearly identical.  Either in the same building/house or in the same neighborhood.  lol

What's the 3rd octet?

Tim

I know who STAGGER is; he's on the same server (Omni Internet) I'm on. He shall remain anonamous.

No sweat, I was not trying to cause any problems. Computer networks, security, and "other" computer related topics are my job. Pulling (DHCP via dial-up or cable/dsl) an IP with the same subnet (3rd octect) ussually means you are physically close or in the same region. No worries though man, I'm not a trouble maker. :P

Tim

Theres no such thing as "anonymity" on the internet. :o

Like it was stated on the other thread. You have to look at the initial cost of changing over. Everyone wants the cost of racing to go down but the initial change over will cost more money for the new equipment. I guess the promoter/ tracks/ drivers/ have to ask themselfs which one will be better for the long haul.

If you're building a mod, there is no additional cost; the QC is less. Since you already have a mod, you could probably sell the housing, pumpkin, and extra gears for what the QC would cost. The shocks are the same way. Revalveables are down to less than $150 ea. and you only need 4 plus a valve kit.

As far as tires, and the other things suggested, if it lowers the cost, does not hinder performance and retains or improves safety, it should be looked at.

If you don't want to run the QC, or think it's too expensive, or don't think it worth the performance gain/loss, then don't run it. If you allow both, who can complain except the complainers. Same for the shocks. If you want to run nonvalveables, then do it.

Look at what I said above, there is no way that you can show that QC's and revalveables are more expensive over the course of a racing season if you race the entire schedule; even if you don't run the complete schedule, the QC is still cheaper.

If TAMS allows dirt cars to race with huge HP 4BBL motors and treaded tires, it is the drivers choice. Sacifice traction for HP. You also have the choice of gas or alcohol. I don't think it would have to a mandatory rule, only another choice for the driver or owner. If you want to save time and $$$ go to a QC rearend, and ever re-valveable shocks. I have looked into the QC and would really like to have one in my TAMS car for ease of preperation. I do most of the maitenence myself and it really sucks swapping pumpkins every other week as i do not have a race car shop or a lift. I have to do all of this in my garage on the floor. Again I think at least TAMS should offer a driver/owner meeting or poll to see what kind of reaction they get and possibly open the door up for newcomers and guys who want to save a little $$$$$$.

JMO

Archived