TSRS OktoberFast recap and results. 10/16/04

Texas Super Racing Series

Public Relations Office (512) 784-3026 * Series Information Line (512) 899-2602

Press Office Phone (281) 482-6798 * Press Office Fax (281) 648-4601

For Immediate Release

Aramendia Returns Home For OctoberFast Win

By: Pat Mayberry

Whoever said you can't go home again, never met veteran Texas driver Joe Aramendia. Over the last few year's Aramendia has been busy making a name for himself with the NASCAR All Pro Division, NASCAR Craftsmen Truck Series and NASCAR Busch Grand National Series. But San Antonio Speedway was the training ground where Aramendia honed his racing skills and after his winning effort it appears he hasn't forgotten anything about his former Saturday night hang out.

Aramendia was making his first Texas Super Racing Series start and was also one of five Texas Super Racing Series drivers to break the track record of 20.094 set by Ronnie New on the series last visit to San Antonio Speedway in September. However, it was another Texas veteran driver and for SAS champion, Ervin Breiten Jr. who eventually took home the record with a 19.925 trip around the fast high-banks oval. "I don't know about any secrets," stated Aramendia when asked if he had any for his old home track. "I do know my way around here. Ervin Breiten is really fast and he knows his way around here too. I know I will have my hands full when the race starts, but I'll have fun and really enjoy myself."

With the field inversion from the series trademark roll of the giant dice, Aramendia wound up starting sixth. "I've got a lot of laps here and I know what a good racecar feels like," said Aramendia. "We raced this car last weekend here also and it won. It's been a good two weekends. I built the car for my nephew so he can get started in racing and I built me one too. It's a good way to have fun and teach him."

Aramendia used his skills to avoid several incidents early in the race. "The plan was to ride until about forty laps to go and then if we were in a good position to go and get it," recalled Aramendia. As the drivers crossed the halfway mark in the race, Aramendia was just beginning to make his move to the front and was running in fifth place. With twenty-six laps to go Aramendia appeared to kick it into another as he blew past James Reeder. With twenty-three laps to go, Aramendia got a run on Ronny New and moved to the number three spot.

Then with only eighteen laps to go, race leader Allen Alexander and second place Jamie Fuller touched working through traffic, opening the door for Aramendia to take the lead with fifteen laps remaining. "It had a lot to do with a lapped car," claimed Aramendia about his pass for the lead. He (Alexander) picked low and I picked high. He burped his car while he was making his decision and I never let off the throttle. I just shot it to the outside and that's what ended up winning me the race."

From there, Aramendia checked out, opening up a three second lead over the rest of the lead pack and cruising to victory lane. Following Aramendia to the double checkers was Allen Alexander, Ronny New, Lloyd Alexander, Brian Schild, Brad Hudak, Ryan Englehardt, Justin Oates, Ian Webster and Jeff Pollard rounding out the top ten. The hard charger award went to Pat Lyon who improved fourteen placed from twenty-sixth to twelfth place on the evening. The final stop for the MAGNUM Trailers sponsored series Texas Super Racing Series will be a non-points race on the road course at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, Texas. For more information on series dates or rules please visit the series web site at www.manracingpromotions.com.

Race Information:

Name: Joe Aramendia

Years in racing: 16

Chassis: Port City

Body: Five Star Monte Carlo

Engine: Builder: Janke

Brakes: Wilwood

Shocks: Penske

Sponsors: Aramendia Pluming Company, GEM Sign Service, Damon Bean Motors, Southwest Paint and Body Cautions: 6 for 23 laps

Fastest green flag lap: David Sevilla Jr. 20.390 seconds, 88.279MPH

Lap Leaders: 1 - 59 Allen Alexander, 60 - 75 Joe Aramendia

Time of Race: 42.38

Car #/Driver/Laps Completed

1 79 Joe Aramendia 75

2 80 Allen Alexander 75

3 1 Ronny New 75

4 5 Lloyd Alexander 75

5 11 Brian Schild 75

6 04 Brad Hudak 75

7 53 Ryan Engelhardt 75

8 0 Justin Oates 75

9 13 Ian Webster 75

10 17 Jeff Pollard 75

11 05 Marc Currey 75

12 48 Pat Lyon 73

13 55 Henry Guerra 73

14 00 Beau Bukowski 73

15 43 Jamie Fuller 72

16 4 Ervin Breiten 72 **

17 41 James Reeder 71

18 3 Buck Basey 69

19 28 Leland Waddell 42

20 8 David Sevilla Jr. 42

21 03 David Snokhous 36

22 50 Mike Yale 24

23 50T Brian Moczygemba 12

24 31 Lance Gaither 10

25 55X Mikey Cullen 10

26 10 Alvin Stewart 1

27 6 David White 0

28 12 Mike Reininger DNS

** Fastest Qualifier-New Track Record (Rolled a five on the 1st Dice & a two on the second-inverting the field 7 positions)

Archived