Race track remains

txtom

One night, when I didn't really have anything else better to do with my time, I came across a couple pictures some of the older members on this board may have interest in.

The first is what remains of Meyer Speedway in Houston as of a couple years ago. You can still see a distinct outline of the track, and some infield paving is there.

Meyer

The second is of Jackson Speedway in Clinton, Mississippi. They called it a half, more like a 5/8ths. This was one fast track; Faster than Pensacola, and you could run three wide on it. Saw several guys who thought they were fast go there, try it once, and never go back. Straights were banked higher than San Antonio or present-day Houston.

Jackson

• 3 years later...

East Windsor speedway. it's Been closed since the early 90's. The fastest 1/2 mile track I have ever seen. It was a great place to watch guys like Billy Pauch , Scott Pursell,and Fred Rahmer. If you sat in turn one, you were in for a mud shower, from 800hp modifieds, sprint cars, and latemodels. Some nights you would see more dirt on the people, then the cars. thousands people would pack the stands, and 200+ cars would pack the black clay pits . They paid out $5000 to win shows almost every other friday night, and big championship payouts. But in the end they lost to that brite shiny subdivison across the street. Almost forgot this is track where Wally Dallenbach started his racing career.

post-1352-1202794049_thumb.jpg

Hey Tom...Did you ever go to the half mile track in Baton Rouge. I went several times but cannot remember how to get there. Tried google earth the other day to maybe find it but was unsuccessful.

Wasn't it in/near Prairieville La ? I looked awhile back also and couldn't find anything, but I was only there once. Rode with Tommy, and he was following someone else. However, I do see an oval farther south near Duplessis, and off Hwy 621, east of Hwy 61. Can't tell what it is/was though. Didn't your old pal Freddie hang around there some?

Hey Tom...Did you ever go to the half mile track in Baton Rouge.

Hi Denny,

Once, maybe 79 or so. One of the last times it ran.

There is not a trace of the track remaining, but I can tell ya where it is. Find Prarieville, and the town of Oak Grove just North. The track was between them on what is now called Charleston Road. It is off Airline Highway, Hwy 61, on the East side. Charleston was the road to the track, and it runs east/west just south of the location of the track property. Notice where Charleston makes a little jog to the south, than back to the North, almost like an oval. The track oval was centered just above that jog in the road. The oval was also situated east/west. There is another road called Race Track Road, which now runs about through where the front stretch was. All those houses are on the location of the track area itself.

Click this link:Baton Rouge.

Here is the site of a 3/8ths that hasn't seen much discussion on this forum. It was in place about 10 years ago, but, as you see, it is now torn out. Think its last race was 1989. The southwest corner of NE24th Avenue and Folsom Road.

Airport Speedway, Amarillo, Texas.

Airport Speedway

Archived