Texas Terry's Plans

RodneyRodriguez

According to NASCAR.COM, early next week, Hendrick and Terry will announce that Terry will semi-retire in 2005-2006 and give up the 5 car to Kyle Busch. "Ice" will run a #44 ( :D ) car for Hendick in 10-12 selected events.

I hate to see Texas T go (esp. giving up the "5" to that guy) but it's probably time, what do all of you other long time Texas racing people think ?? How will the Iceman do ?

How much will NASCAR miss him ?

When Terry Labonte raced at CC Speedway and won the track championships at San Antonio Speedway and Meyer Speedway in Houston and won the Texas Race of Champions I officiated at Texas World Speedway, all of the cars he drove were owned by his Dad. All of the cars were numbered 44

Looks like Terry is going out with the car number by which we all knew him best.

During my many personal and professional dealings with Terry, he was always a class act. He still is.

Neil Upchurch

Terry has ALWAYS been my favorite drive and I hate to see him retire. But we're not getting any younger and the new kids on the block need to have their turn. He will get to spend more time with his family and relax and enjoy some time for himself. He has earned it. Watching the races on Sunday wont be the same. Maybe I'll start going fishing on Sundays from here on out...Who knows?

Guest rocketdog15

Back in yhe early eighties, Iworked on a pit crew in the Limited Late Model class at San Antonio Speedway, (Highway 16 Raceway). The car was owned by Jim Frazier, and Driven by Mike Evetts. It was a lower budget team, with outdated equipment, but somehow this car was very competitive. But on many saturday nights we would not be handling well, because of wore out tires, and Terry would send down his Heat race tires so that we could compete. On one ocassion, if I remember right, we messed up a clutch and transmission in practice, loaded the car on the trailer, and got ready to spectate. Terry came down to see what the problem was, we told him what it was, and in about 5 minutes, there was one of his crew members standing there with a cart full of parts. Aside from all of his qualities he is just a wonderful and generous man. Another good man that was also very generous to us, with his time and his spare stuff, was Tommy Davis. They were both great assets to the local racing community in San Antonioin those years. Best of luck and wishes go out to the both of them in the future.

Tommy Casey

Outlaw is correct about the picture of Terry,

That car belonged to Jim Pallas of Austin, and the race was one of the All-pro shows ran back in about '83.

Another driver who made some great runs in Jim's car was Slick Yoemans.

What really bugs me is that I feel Terry could have been a lot more competitive, consistently, than he showed the last few years. When the car was right, he'd be up there running hard, top 5, even as recently as this year. But was he getting enough support at Hendrick? Really P's me that Jimmy Johnson seems to have gotten more to work with than Terry, and that the 24 didn't work much with the 5. I draw comparisons to Rusty in the #2, and I don't accept that Terry is any less driver than Rusty, but doesn't seem to get the props anymore. Is Hendrick Motorsports to blame, or just one of those deals where things just never quite came together?

he ran pretty good at the end of last year and a few good runs this year.............i think you are right though about him not getting the props from hendrick............it seems that hendrick is really concentrating on johnson and gordon and the other teams there are just there for added testing time............it sucks because terry is a good driver and he proved last year he could still get it done, would have been nice to see him move into a team that would respect his experience and give him top notch equipment.................

is kellogs going to continue to sponsor the 5 car or is carquest going to move to the 5 car............it will be different seeing someone other than terry in the kellogs car though............wonder what would have happened if terry had the same support gordon and johnson had these last couple of years................

IT WILL BE HAR DTO SEE TERRY GO. WHAT A SHAME. I REMEMBER WATCHING HIM DUST FREDDY FRYAR AND JIMMY FINGER. THE STORY ON NASCAR.COM STATED THAT BUSCH HAS ALREADY BEEN FITTED INTO A KELLOGGS SUIT AND IS DOING PHOTO SHOOTS. I HOPE THAT RICK WILL REMEMBER EVERYTHING THAT TERRY HAS DONE FOR HENDRICK MOTORSPORTS. I GUESS IT WILL BE TIME FOR A NEW HERO. VIVA TEXAS TERRY. MAYBE HE WILL COME HOME FOR A RACE OR TWO........MAKDADA

This is from Jayski's site--

Labonte Announcement Oct 12th: Hendrick Motorsports has a press conference scheduled with Terry Labonte for Tuesday morning (breakfast with Kellogg's -- get it?), when Labonte supposedly will announce he is cutting back to a limited schedule for 2005 and 2006. Kyle Busch is slated to be Labonte's full-time replacement, moving up from the Busch Series. Supposedly, Labonte will drive the #44, his first number in NASCAR, while Busch will get the #5.(NASCAR.com Buzz)(10-10-2004)

TV: SPEED Channel will interrupt regularly scheduled programming Tuesday, Oct 12th at 9:30am/et to bring viewers LIVE coverage of the Hendrick Motorsports press conference with team owner Rick Hendrick and two-time NASCAR NEXTEL Cup champion Terry Labonte. SPEED Channel's Bob Dillner will be on-site for post-announcement interviews.(Speed Channel PR)(10-11-2004)

That just plain sucks! He is my favorite! Well car 5 wont be the same anymore but I will still wear Terry's 5 stuff and might need to purchase some of the 44 merchandise as well. Gives me a good reason to go shopping anyway. :D

With how long Kellogg's has been loyal to Terry it would make better sense to start a new slogan for Kellogg's and promotion for them about keeping it in the family and exchange drivers for Justin Labonte instead.

BUSCH in the 5? Thats just plain makes me want to hurl!!!! :(

Like I said in an earlier post, I hate to seeTerry go but he has to do whats right for him. As for Kyle taking over...I think its a good thing. He had the chance to go drive the FORDS but choose to drive a CHEVY. Look where he is in the BUSH series. He can drive a race car. Dont judge him on his brothers racing. Ill even go as far as thinking Terry had a say in who will replace him. Lets give the boy a chance and wish Terry the best. And I dont think we've heard the last of Terry. Im sure he wiil be envolved in justin career all the way just like his daddy was with him and Bobby.

i dont think its the money that gets your name out even though it certainly doesn't hurt, but who can get the buzz going around your name at a national race, which can equate to money but also needs to be backed up with solid results.

I wonder if they will give him new top notch cars to run, or will they just paint 44 over the other teams garbage? Also it will be interesting to see what kind of renovation the 5 teams equipment will get. Hate to see him go, wish HMS would have backed him as they have the 24 and 48, and would have liked to see them do something like Rusty is doing. Anyway, best wishes to Terry and hope he picks up a few more wins before its all done.

Archived