Powder Puff racers around Texas

CAM Racing

Here is a little story about my wonderful wife Kimberley McKim. I built a street stock for us to share at the old Longhorn Speedway. I would run part time and she would run the car on the nights they had their Golden Girl races. I talked her into letting me drive a heat race earlier on her night. The first lap of her race the throttle broke. ( She was very upset!) She went on to win their last Golden Girl championship anyway. She credits the women drivers that she calls the best...Mary Ann Naumann and Cheryl James as the ones that taught her the most. A lot of us guys don't like being beat by a woman. Well Mary Ann was in that same heat race that night that I was in. I started on pole and won the race but I know I was trying to put the pedal through the floor...I'm pretty sure that is why it broke on my wife. Mary Ann was racing with guys at this time but her and Cheryl James had already won several Golden Girl Championships. :D

I think most all tracks have some kind of a powder puff class. They all did that we raced at as far back as I can remember. My family and friends ran at MIS (Micigan International Speedway) and Mt.Clemens Raceway. Sherly Muldowney use to race years ago at Mt.Clemens and we had a drag strip that she use to run on.

Mt.Clemens Raceway is now has a trade center built on it. :( Oh well. Kind of hard to have a dirt track in the middle of a big city lol.

Since I opened this topic I might as well post too. lol

In 2003 I got my first trophy for powder Puff racing and have raced 5 times total . For 2004 I should be getting a trophy for third place in points . My best nigth was the first race held this season in April where I got to race it out with fellow driver and freind for second place... my worst night was the second leg of the 3 race series in July We took my husbands new car out and he raced both his races with no damage ... I was leading the race when a caution came out and another car drove into my front wheel bending the rim and A Arm car didnt handle well after that and I dropped to 4th place and on the checkered lap I was making my move for 3rd when a car came down after hitting the wall and t boned me about 3 car lenghts from the finish line doing extensive roll cage damage bending the rear end housing and trashing another wheel and tire. I ended up 5th that night by the time I got turned aroung and crossed the line. That night made me realize what my husband had been going threw for 4 seasons . In 2005 I plan to register and race with my husband since we now have 2 cars . It will be a real learing experience since it will be on dirt and I have never raced on dirt .

The best powderpuff race that I have seen was at Cowtown Speedway back in the early 80's,in one car was Bo Rawdons sister and I don't remember who was in the other car,but both were figure 8 cars and the race was just a oval race,one car hit the wall coming off of turn four for the checkered flag and the other one hit the wall after taking the checkered flag,one of the two also rolled over,don't remember which one or which of the two won,but was the best powderpuff race that I have seen.

This one is not necessarily about the race but what we did to make it thru the night. In 88, we had a Bomber at SAS that my brother Rob drove and I co-owned, fixed, etc. One night that summer, they a powder puff race and that daredevil Brian Carson gonna do a jump down the front straight. We got my wife Deanna to drive the car that night for the powder puff race. Well, in warmups, she comes down the front stretch, starts weaving a little and the right rear tire, wheel, and axle get to the start/finish line before her and the rest of the ol' blue #79 do.

Well, we didn't have a spare axle, and lots(don't they always!!) of folks came around to help. At the time, we were broke AND dumb, and we were using the stock rear end. Nobody had anything to work.

I got to looking at the 4 high stack of junkers sitting down towards turn 1 for Carson to crash into. His car was going to jump the ramp, explode and he was going to land in the cars. (And they call us CRAZY????) . Well, right down on the bottom row, smack dab in the middle was a 77 Malibu. After getting OK from the dummy...er....Mr. Carson, me and Lance Gaither crawled under that car and got the axle out. With several thousands pounds sitting on top of us.

The race??? Rob finished 3rd or 4th that night in the Bomber feature and Deanna brought it home in 4th in the Powder Puff. Sold the car at the end of the year with the "daredevil" axle still in it.

Billy

I got to looking at the 4 high stack of junkers sitting down towards turn 1 for Carson to crash into.    His car was going to jump the ramp, explode and he was going to land in the cars.  (And they call us CRAZY????) .     Well, right down on the bottom row, smack dab in the middle was a 77 Malibu.     After getting OK from the dummy...er....Mr. Carson, me and Lance Gaither crawled under that car and got the axle out.    With several thousands pounds sitting on top of us.

The race???     Rob finished 3rd or 4th that night in the Bomber feature and Deanna brought it home in 4th in the Powder Puff.   Sold the car at the end of the year with the "daredevil" axle still in it.

lol I guess I have a dare devil front bumper them My hubby and his best freind climbed into a long row of 4 high cars to the third level and brought me home a great bumber I had seen the stack a week before and told my hubby that no bumper is worth dying for and thought that was the end of it ... not for them they had to have the bumper ... it is still on my car now.. if the picture shows up mine is the front car the hubbys is the rear one

post-2-1097506026_thumb.jpg

Archived