dancer52

just had to get that rained out topic off the top of the list....was driving me crazy.

SO...since I changed the subject...when did this track come into exsistance? I seem to remember the original devils bowl was not at this location.

Around 1967 or 1968 I have a picture of my cousin as

trophy queen in a 67 or 68 Chevelle pace car. Track

has been reconfigured a little thru the years. Original

location was on Buckner blvd. I have to look at newspaper

for exact year.

The original Devil's Bowl (in that area) was opened in 1949. It was actually located on John West road, just west of Buckner Blvd, The track was situated north/south on the North side of John West, about halfway between the old White Rock airport and the Buckner Drive-in, which were situated in the south side of the road. The drive in was at the SW corner of Buckner and John West.

If you were to google the location, look for the intersection of the current John West and Dilido Roads; that was the location the track. If you have heard the term gravel pit, the track was built in a quarry. My Dad watched many a race at this old track, and can tell ya some stories.

The current track was opened in 1968, and Lanny Edwards took over in 1972.

I stated "in that area" due to there being a Devil's Bowl in San Antonio before the ones in the Dallas area. This one was situated on the current I-10 just East of Ackermann road. The Goodyear tire place there on the highway is part of the track footprint.

The original Devil's Bowl (in that area) was opened in 1949. It was actually located on John West road, just west of Buckner Blvd, The track was situated north/south on the North side of John West, about halfway between the old White Rock airport and the Buckner Drive-in, which were situated in the south side of the road. The drive in was at the SW corner of Buckner and John West.

If you were to google the location, look for the intersection of the current John West and Dilido Roads; that was the location the track. If you have heard the term gravel pit, the track was built in a quarry. My Dad watched many a race at this old track, and can tell ya some stories.

The current track was opened in 1968, and Lanny Edwards took over in 1972.

I stated "in that area" due to there being a Devil's Bowl in San Antonio before the ones in the Dallas area. This one was situated on the current I-10 just East of Ackermann road. The Goodyear tire place there on the highway is part of the track footprint.

Cool...1969...so...what is the oldest continously ran track in texas?

what is the oldest continously ran track in texas?

Without my notes in front of me, Might be hard to look past Heart of Texas. Cowtown is currently closed, and Corpus Christi has had a spell or two where it was closed, and I cannot think of anything else out there that would compete for tenure.

The original Heart of Texas was built around 1955, and ran until the current facility opened in 1966. It has run continuously since.

If anyone has something else, I'd like to see it.

what is the oldest continously ran track in texas?

Without my notes in front of me, Might be hard to look past Heart of Texas. Cowtown is currently closed, and Corpus Christi has had a spell or two where it was closed, and I cannot think of anything else out there that would compete for tenure.

The original Heart of Texas was built around 1955, and ran until the current facility opened in 1966. It has run continuously since.

If anyone has something else, I'd like to see it.

i could be wrong but cc has opened every season sense it was built in 1945 .at a couple of time i know of it has opened late or shut down early .but do not recall in my life time it missing a whole season ..

Archived