Mark39

SAS website

I have been in contact with one of the principals in this venture over the past few days. They have an ambitious plan in mind and I wish them well.

Nick

The 2 things that strike me most about the website:

1. In the gallery pics, there is still no development anywhere around the track. Whatever happened to the big development that Toyota was supposed to bring to that area? I bet the city of SA would love for something to go in there that they can tax. Maybe they won't be so dogmatic this time around.

2. The sponsor page is blank.

hray,

Can I add another item to your list? That's not a stock car pictured on the home page . . . interesting! I do agree that it would be a big tax benefit to the city of San Antonio to have an operational facility at that location versus farm acreage. We currently have an agricultural exemption where we live, and the taxes are almost nothing - <$100/year for 15 farm acres (excludes the homesteaded acre which is taxed a full market value).

I've had several calls and emails about this today. Most are taking a "wait and see" attitude, which seems to be a reasonable response to this proposal with the limited amount of information available at this point.

Obviously, there are many obstacles that need to be overcome to pull off a successful special event in October.

Nick

I've had several calls and emails about this today. Most are taking a "wait and see" attitude, which seems to be a reasonable response to this proposal with the limited amount of information available at this point.

Obviously, there are many obstacles that need to be overcome to pull off a successful special event in October.

Nick

Well at least one obstacle won’t be in the way. Ex City Councilman Philip Cortez, he had a lot to do with things in that area like SAS and Tundra Village.

Wish them luck in this venture.

I came in here thinking this was going to be about the old SAS website...this is AWESOME. I'm not going to lie, I'm excited, a little bit of excitement never hurt anyone!

Just for reference, Indy style cars have run at SAS in the past...it's likely a web developer's "stock" photograph though.

Edited by FSAERacer

OUR GOAL

The main goal of Unique Track Solutions is to save San Antonio Speedway from demolition and bring short track racing back to San Antonio. With the help of the track owners, the City of San Antonio Developmental Services Office, dedicated racers, race fans, and sponsors, a high quality, exciting, special event will return to San Antonio Speedway.

I'll play devils advocate here: Just because SAS closed DOES NOT mean short track racing left San Antonio. I have some other choice words here but I don't know how to put them out without offending anyone nor stirring up trouble.

All I can say is HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!! this seems to happen ever year or so. another smoke and mirror game.. Don't get me wrong not trying to bash anyone I'm just tired of getting my hopes up only to be kicked out from me.

90% of everything is still there. It wouldn't be hard at all to clean it up with some man power. If Mrs. Reeh wants to help she is going in the right direction. She isn't leasing the track and hasn't in over 5 years thus not making that money she did before and maybe misses that and the enjoyment of the racing. No one is going to buy that place just for the land due to spending the money to remove the track. I really do see something happening but like the site said, they will need some help from volunteers, workers, and maybe donations. How bad you guys want to race at SAS again? Help out with work and you might be back at SAS.

Jamie, don't fool yourself. Short track racing HAS been done around San Antonio since SAS closed. We do have I-37 50 miles out but that's not an asphalt track that many want.

Jamie, don't fool yourself. Short track racing HAS been done around San Antonio since SAS closed. We do have I-37 50 miles out but that's not an asphalt track that many want.

All I said was SHORT TRACK, not ASPHALT, racing wasn't dead. Maybe they should rephrase what they said.

Edited by Jamie

who is unique track solutions? see alot of we's, but no names.

FYI...There is no Unique Track Solutions, LLC registered with the Texas SOS according to the Texas Comptrolller Taxable Entity Search . Are they out of state? There is no DBA with Bexar county. I sure hope the track sees life again...someday.

I agree they need to contact racers for their help because if I were asked for a helping hand Id be out there in a heartbeat that track was and still in the greatest short track in Texas I have faith that the track is Gunna open

I'm with Nick on this one, will take a wait and see attitude at this point. Hopefully if this is an attempt we will see some signs of progress pretty quick. Time indeed flies pretty quick. Would love to be a part of it somehow if it happens.

WELL I STILL REMEMBER THAT LAST BUNCH.........OF WANNA BE'S ..THE CHECKS IN THE MAIL STUFF ...........SO WAIT AND SEE .WITH OUT MUCH FAN FAIR THIS TIME ..

I wish 90% of the facility were still intact. It is not, however.

Vandals and theives have made off with most, if not all, of the copper and electrical components. Even the flag pole was stolen. Anything of value has been ripped off.

The press box and grandstands have been condemned, although I understand that the metal portion of the grandstands is still structurally sound. At least it was a couple of years ago.

One of major expenses will be replacing all the rotted out planks that make up the grandstands. When I priced them three years ago, the very cheapest were more than $100 each (untreated, finished on three sides) and the ones that would be preferred (treated, finished on four sides) were all over $200 up to $300 each! Doesn't take too many planks to put a fairly large dent in a budget. Keep in mind that the city condemned the grandstands because of the rotten planks five years ago. I can't imagine five years of Texas weather has been kind to the remaining planks.

Another issue will be the outside retaining wall. Three years ago there were some areas where the supporting banking had eroded away, leaving the boiler plate and supporting poles supported by the rest of the wall rather than the embankment. I'm sure someone would donate the material and labor to repair the wall, but, if not, that earth moving and rebuilding could get expensive. The estimate I got from a well-known San Antonio construction company was, well, more than I thought it would be for sure.

Although the track surface appears race-worthy, vegetation has spit the track in various places and water has been allowed to enter the soil below the track. Hopefully only a little erosion has taken place under the racing surface itself, but if there are spots that are no longer supported by the subsoil, remedial work will be needed to prevent the surface from breaking up under race conditions.

The septic system is kaput and the water supply was questionable although not condemned as I recall.

What's left are a few permanent buildings, some of which have been condemned, a condemned grandstands and a track that might, or might not, be race-worthy.

I guess the tech pad is still in good shape, though.

I don't say any of this to be mean or derogatory towards anyone. What I am doing, however, it to point out that at least two other groups have considered doing what this new "Unique" group is considering. Three years ago I was directly involved in one of those groups and the Boyett family drew up plans that fell through the following year.

There is no one in this world who wants SAS to rise from the ashes more than me. I have been directly involved with San Antonio Speedway since its inception in just about every role except lease holder and promoter.

In spite of my sincere desire to bring the old lady back to life, I have to face the facts, though. There is only one way SAS will ever be reborn. Someone with a pile of money has to step up and rebuild the place with zero hope of ever recovering much of their investment in their lifetime.

Nick

We how about we try to contact someone with a lot of cash I mean he'll I bet any NASCAR driver wouldnt mind throwing cash in the hard part is contacting people which if that's the case hell why don't we give it a shot