SAS website

Mark39

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jamie if you are so sceptical, why do you find interest in coming on this forum contradicting everyone? Just a question!

Someone else has even said it earlier, but it seems like clock work that every year the subject gets brought up; for that reason alone I could be skeptical.

Like I said, I have no emotional connection to the track because I was never able to attend. Because of this my thoughts aren't clouded with shattered dreams or what nots due to the closing.

My other point is there are several tracks, dirt or asphalt, that ARE operating NOW that don't seem to get as much support as a closed track and that baffles me. I'm not trying rain on anyone's parade by my posts here. I just wish that our currently operating tracks would get as much support as this one would.

There are 68 Pro Late models in Texas

Why aren't the out now supporting said tracks; at least I don't see them in any of the results.

I'm all for debating and being civil about it; but here I am not trying to debate but bring to lights some issues that I see as a fan of the sport.

Jamie, I'm not picking but I don't think you realize just how many drivers that are currently racing I37, and Thunderhill that have roots at SAS! I37 has drivers in the pure stock, street stock, limited mod, and late model that hail from SAS! I think that's support! Thunderhill too! If u don't have time on this track you wouldn't understand! There is not a track south of Dallas that will give you the rush of a 2o plus field of Sportsmen cars coming out of turn 4 taking the green flag! Once again I don't mean to sound like I'm picking but these guys have high hopes cause of there time there! JMO

starts with a dream then having some hope in that dream and having good ol' faith to support it all. :) it is tough to be so pumped about it and still having some doubt it might not happen but any i know anything i am passionate about and i do or set out to do i want to do it with 100% faith that its going to come thru. doesnt mean reality isnt lingering. but jamie does bring some good points from his perspective. :) i really like how we are all being understanding about this some forums people are really harsh. just saying :)

Jamie, I'm not picking but I don't think you realize just how many drivers that are currently racing I37, and Thunderhill that have roots at SAS! I37 has drivers in the pure stock, street stock, limited mod, and late model that hail from SAS! I think that's support! Thunderhill too! If u don't have time on this track you wouldn't understand! There is not a track south of Dallas that will give you the rush of a 2o plus field of Sportsmen cars coming out of turn 4 taking the green flag! Once again I don't mean to sound like I'm picking but these guys have high hopes cause of there time there! JMO

I never once thought that. I'm not here to dash any hopes or dreams I promise.

starts with a dream then having some hope in that dream and having good ol' faith to support it all. :) it is tough to be so pumped about it and still having some doubt it might not happen but any i know anything i am passionate about and i do or set out to do i want to do it with 100% faith that its going to come thru. doesnt mean reality isnt lingering. but jamie does bring some good points from his perspective. :) i really like how we are all being understanding about this some forums people are really harsh. just saying :)

I agree that it has been an absolutely civil discussion. There is nothing wrong with having hope, dreams or faith as long as there is some reality dashed amongst them IMHO. Actually that is more like my life lessons coming out...LOL

My other point is there are several tracks, dirt or asphalt, that ARE operating NOW that don't seem to get as much support as a closed track and that baffles me. I'm not trying rain on anyone's parade by my posts here. I just wish that our currently operating tracks would get as much support as this one would.

There are 68 Pro Late models in Texas

Why aren't the out now supporting said tracks; at least I don't see them in any of the results.

So true....

Jamie, what I've learned around message boards, not just this one, is that if you're not in line with the mainstream thinking, you're automatically in the wrong......

i got email back from them saying starting this saturday , they are looking for volunteers to come out and weedeat, pickup trash . brush, asked to bring some equipment if we can , i myself have to work my regular job this weekend , but next weekend will do what i can to help out, if you would like to contribute in some way , jus email them

FSAE(James)....I don't believe Jamie was refering to anyone that has cars in other classes at other tracks as not supporting them....I took it as the ga-ga over the Late Models.....

HMP dropped the class for lack of support...

THR keeps running them, though I don't know how they can afford to pay the purse with the limited turn out....

IF there are the numbers mentioned, why are these cars parked?(already knowing the answer from most)

Yet back several years ago when Owen was running CC Spwy, he had a 5,000 to win Late Model race.....Sadly only 15 cars showed up, while the rest sat back and came up with all kinds of reasons WHY NOT to race.....Hardly a show of support.....I railed on them then for their non-support and promptly got my ass handed to me by some(and I'll probably get it again now).....That was the beginning of the end for Late Model racing in Texas(IMHO)

Now if I were a perspective track owner/promoter(which I'll never be)and smart business man...I'd look at past history.....Why would I put up my money in earnest for a group that continually has shown lack of support over the past few years, since the closing of the same track, basically.....Again, if I was running a track,I'd want a class(es) that showed track support, not excuses on why they won't race....

Now before any of y'all fully slash my throat......I'm all for SAS reopening.....MAYBE someone has taken the proverbial bull by the horns and will come up with the perfect plan.......but after watching all the Cotton Bowl Speedway todo when it was announced, I tend to doubt it since there will always be people left out, disappointed and disgruntled....

Reb., I take almost nothing personally, I've sold used cars for a living...not much gets to me and I meant nothing overtly personal to Jaime! I have GREAT memories of many tracks in Texas. My favorite part of vacation as a kid was our Saturday night visit to C.C. Speedway or South Texas Speedway. I-37 was the first track I went to the pits at and helped with cars. THR was the cap to a family trip to Austin. TMS was where we went to see the big leagues...but SAS is OUR track. The River Walk is a big deal in San Antonio but it doesn't have near the stories that SAS does!

Jaime, nothing personal, I've spoken with you at I-37 once or twice and you're no doubt a great guy but maybe the truth is someone who hasn't been to SAS can't understand...remind me in October, I'll buy you a cold beer!

As a fan I love my home track(STS) and all the years growing up at C.C. Speedway and have always enjoyed my visits to Longhorn ,Texas Thunder , HOT , Shady Oaks and Edna.But none of them have matched the excitement level and sights and sounds that I got from SAS. Not a knock on any track I have been to.It is just how special SAS was to me.

Jaime, nothing personal, I've spoken with you at I-37 once or twice and you're no doubt a great guy but maybe the truth is someone who hasn't been to SAS can't understand...remind me in October, I'll buy you a cold beer!

I couldn't agree more. I also believe that sets me apart from the masses in being grounded about the whole situation. I want tracks to succeed so the drivers can benefit. I want tracks to run B-mains because they have over 24 cars in a class; so what the night runs longer in this case. I want tracks to be successful so they can pride themselves and boast about being the best at what they do.

I will definitely be holding you to that beer too...LOL :lol:

i wanted this to work for a selfish reason, of getting to race there atleast one more time.....

i wanted this to work for a selfish reason, of getting to race there atleast one more time.....

All I want is to be appointed the Chief Steward again so I can DQ everyone. Hows that for bad humor, Crazy? LOL

Nick

i got email back from them saying starting this saturday , they are looking for volunteers to come out and weedeat, pickup trash . brush, asked to bring some equipment if we can , i myself have to work my regular job this weekend , but next weekend will do what i can to help out, if you would like to contribute in some way , jus email them

Im planning to go help then going to I37 to enjoy the races there.... Worked 80 hours this week at my real job n dont care if I work more to help get the job done...

Just a suggestion for the modifieds use the TAMS style rules you might get more cars if everyone doesn't

have to buy new or one type tire.

Late models hope this can happen, the ABC body mandate hurt this class along with multiple tire rule and

engine changes. In another tracks defense they put up good money and got only 3 last year, same with

another track that re-opened with 5 showing up.

...I'm all for debating and being civil about it; but here I am not trying to debate but bring to lights some issues that I see as a fan of the sport.

Jamie, something you may not know about SAS is how long it has been around. I was 8 years old when it opened I used to go watch my cousin race and I remember dreaming of racing there, and when i was racing my kids rooted me on from the fence with dreams of someday racing there. Your not seeing the history of this place, that's why soo many people are backing this. if I 37 had 30 plus years under its belt and then shut down, many people would want it re opened as well.

Not to mention the generations of racing that this track has seen, it has survived alot of different things, when it opened it had to compete against another asphalt track in town And survived, many other tracks have come and gone While SAS remained opened. there have been huge events that have brought in big named drivers and by many racers the track was considered the "Talladega" of local racing.

I know you enjoy talking to people about racing stuff, maybe you should talk with some of the older folks about this track and really get to know more of the history of this place and then it will help you understand the love so many of us carry for the place.... I'm not gonna lie, I shed a tear of joy when I saw my sons roll out on to a track for the first time and on their first win, BUT it will really be a emotional deal if my sons get to experience SAS, and I know it will be a dream come true for them.

Hope this sheds some light for you.

I understand the nostalgia felt by many people on here. I grew up at Longhorn (and when it was SpeedaRama). I had the pleasure of spectating many times and racing a few times @ SAS. I'm hoping it does open for some special events at least. I may even get to race there again. That 1/2 mile always gave me a scary rush.

I read the post but couldnt find it to quote, but the reason most of the 68 latemodels dont run is THEY CANT. If that car count is accurate then I have to believe the majority are NOT pro lates but supers. In reality means they dont have the 604 crate motor. Most just dont have motors anymore, as the case with mine. I saved up to replace the motor I blew only to find the series gone. Not everyone who ran a SLM went out and threw more money for a crate so the cars sit, been sold, converted to dirt, or a lower class asphalt car. The cars mentioned are a mix of Nascar legal late model stocks (SAS), SuperLates (Romco), ProLates (HMP), and TSRS (THR). These cars may look similar but the design under the body greatly diversifies them.

I agree that support for the struggling short tracks in america is more important that putting all your hopes and wishes into a maybe. Not that I dont want to see SAS back on its feet, its just time to join the real world. THR, HMP, CCS, I37, etc, etc, are all still running. If you can, get out and support them. If SAS is resurrected, then go there ALSO. Now Im sure I will get called out for not supporting any tracks with the herd in my shop. If you want to know why, I'll tell you. But not on a public forum.

Good luck to all. And Nick, Id vote for ya. ;-)

Just a thought, it might make more sense to run the late models as Super Lates instead of Pros. Of Late models sitting in garages in the surrounding states, most are considered a Super Late. USLMA drew cars from 8 or 9 different states (including Texas and Oklahoma) and they ran Super Late rules, but more relaxed than most sanctioning bodies.

To make the Pro Lates (crate motors) more competitive, just compensate w/ weight, etc. Colorado National Speedway runs a Super Late Model class, and gives weight breaks to crate motors. There are multiple cars at CNS that do run the crate motors, and are very competitive (case in point: Chris Eggleston ran a crate in 2011 and was a multiple main event winner).

And if you think Super, Pro or any kind of late model racecar is a dying breed, I suggest you take a look at Colorado National Speedway. On 4/28/12, they had 27 late models in the pits for a regular show! They have over 50 cars registered in the class!!

It would be a real shame if SAS didnt make an effort to attract some of these Colorado Late Models to their event in October.

Same goes for Modifieds. There are alot more "unlimited" modifieds in the country than crate powered modifieds. So please consider at least Gulf Coast rules for mods or something similar. CNS had 23 unlimited modifieds attend on 4-14-12 and there are more unlimited modifieds in Abq. New Mexico, Altus, OK, Pueblo, CO, not to mention the thousands of dirt modifieds in Texas. Many of these cars/drivers would probably like a chance to race at SAS once again. Also look at the Lucas Oil Modified series and their amazing car count they have had in 2012!

Open rules brings cars...

So please keep an open mind on rules so that SAS will get the car counts they require to make it a successful event.

I read the post but couldnt find it to quote, but the reason most of the 68 latemodels dont run is THEY CANT. If that car count is accurate then I have to believe the majority are NOT pro lates but supers. In reality means they dont have the 604 crate motor. Most just dont have motors anymore, as the case with mine. I saved up to replace the motor I blew only to find the series gone. Not everyone who ran a SLM went out and threw more money for a crate so the cars sit, been sold, converted to dirt, or a lower class asphalt car. The cars mentioned are a mix of Nascar legal late model stocks (SAS), SuperLates (Romco), ProLates (HMP), and TSRS (THR). These cars may look similar but the design under the body greatly diversifies them.

I agree that support for the struggling short tracks in america is more important that putting all your hopes and wishes into a maybe. Not that I dont want to see SAS back on its feet, its just time to join the real world. THR, HMP, CCS, I37, etc, etc, are all still running. If you can, get out and support them. If SAS is resurrected, then go there ALSO. Now Im sure I will get called out for not supporting any tracks with the herd in my shop. If you want to know why, I'll tell you. But not on a public forum.

Good luck to all. And Nick, Id vote for ya. ;-)

Cory, I would love to see you back out there, but I get it.

I'll be supporting THR this weekend. Heading there this afternoon. Once all the SAS chatter turns into something, and if my SAS late model is legal to run there (ironic to say that), then I would be there as well.

Nick, have you made too many friends and now trying to figure out how to get rid of them? Be the lead tech. That will do it!

Archived