San Antonio Speedway July 31 Race Recap

GoGirl

James Cole, Tom Casey, Greg Rohmer and Kelly Earnhardt sizzled the track at San Antonio Speedway this past Saturday night. Each of them won their feature event and proved to their competitors that they were just "too hot to handle."

Thirteen Late Model drivers were fired up and ready to attack the half-mile track. James Cole paced the field followed by Jesse Salazar, Wesley McGuffin, Danny Garcia, Jason Smith and Larry Bendele. When the green flag waved, Cole took command of the race as the other drivers jockeyed around for position. On Lap 9, Bendele blasted past Garcia for the second position. Not being one to settle for anything but the best, Bendele took the #1 position away from Cole just five laps later. The red flag came out when fourth place contenders, Joe Aramendia and Smith tangled coming off Turn 4. Aramendia careened head-on into the pit wall which put an end to his night. On the restart, Bendele was leading with Cole, Garcia, Salazar, Damon Bean and Smith keeping tabs on him. As the laps wound down, Garcia experienced terminal mechanical problems and Bean went for a spin coming off Turn 4. When the checkered flag dropped, Bendele was too hot to stop. . . . . or was he? During post race inspections, Bendele was disqualified for a rule infraction. Cole was declared the winner. Hats off to him, as this was his very first Late Model feature win. Smith, Mike Balzer, Salazar and Bean filled out the top five spots.

Saturday night after Saturday night, the Sportsman division drivers have put on a heck of a show and once again they did not disappoint. Craig Crawley led the field to the green flag followed by Dwayne Markgraf, Tom Casey, Tater Mason, Marcus Bellino, Eric Knudtson and Justin Oates. On Lap 2, the caution lights lit up when Jamie Evans spun out and collected new-comer Nathan Davis. When racing resumed, Casey took the lead away from Crawley. Bellino, who is running a limited schedule took the advantage on Lap 6. Once again the yellow flag flew when John Casey Jr. spun out and simultaneously Evans came to a stop on the backstretch. On the restart, Bellino was leading with Casey, Oates, Markgraf and Garfield Shanklin lined up right on his tail. In less than a lap, Bellino had a rearview mirror full of Oates. Oates was relentless and both were intent on winning. With three laps remaining, the inevitable happened.....the two of them touched coming off of Turn 4. Both drivers inherited a trip to the back of the pack and Casey assumed the lead. The racing action really got hot and heavy as Bellino and Oates were slicing and dicing their way back to the front. Casey hung on for his very first feature win. Bellino recovered to finish in the second spot followed by Shanklin, Oates and Crawley. Both Mason and Knudtson finished the evening in the pits with mechanical woes.

Mark Mathias' hopes of winning were dashed when he lost it coming out of Turn 2 and spun out on the first lap of the Road Runners feature event. On the restart, Ken Jones shared the front row with Roy Bernal followed by Randy Frautschi, Irish O'Leary, Greg Rohmer and Kelly Earnhardt. When the green flag was displayed, Rohmer went from fifth to first at the snap of your fingers with Frautschi and O'Leary falling into the second and third positions. On Lap 3, as O'Leary attempted to put an outside move on Frautschi, he lost it and slammed into the Turn 4 wall. Rohmer was tuned-up and hitting on all eight cylinders as he cruised to his 4th feature win of the season. Next to cross the stripe were Frautschi, Earnhardt, Bernal and Jones.

In other racing action, Kelly Earnhardt prevailed over Missy Jones in the 5 lap Women On Wheels feature event.

Congratulations to all of our winners!

Congrats to all the drivers and crews at SAS. GoGirl, another outstanding piece of journalism! Your recaps are always a joy to read. Now what got torn down and who got bit?

Hey Girl,missed you last week! Great recap.

Lloyd

Lloyd,

GoGirl actually did a recap last week. She put it in the new San Antonio Speedway section, but it didn't get many hits. I don't think most people realize that track specific sections have now been added to TSZ. And I totally agree . . . her recaps are awesome and factual. Our feature writers (GoGirl and Jennifer Rodriguez) sure help make our jobs easier at San Antonio Speedway!

First of all many thanks to everyone’s kind words of encouragement this entire year, it's probably the one thing that has kept me and my team going through all the bad luck. With that being said I really have to thank three special people that were the main reason for me returning this week after two really bad wrecks they are Danny and Amelia Webb along with Greg Hubbell. These three people never let me keep my head down for more than five minutes and kept me going with their support. For those of you who don't know Danny and Amelia Webb their some amazing people that own Mission Auto Parts and have supported me in a big way all year long. I hope nobody has to go through putting a front clip on a car in just a weeks time and for those of you that have know what we went through all last week. There’s no way that we could've made it back to the track much less win if it wasn't for Greg Hubbell and his EXTREMELY positive attitude. He definitely carried the whole team through this past week. No matter what problem came our way he made us figure a way to fix it even at 6:30am Saturday morning. I also need to thank all of my guys for committing so much time into this and always giving a 100% no matter what. This is definitely not how I wanted to win, but I'm sure with the bad luck behind us and the people I have supporting me, there will be more to come. Again thanks so much for all the support everyone has given to the team all year. See ya next Saturday!

James

Archived