Where would David be.....?

Hey gang..

Someone who listens to the MZone Show asked me, via email, where I thought David would be in the CTS Standings if he HAD NOT run with Holigan Racing and the Busch team..

I thought I'd throw this out to the TRUE David Starr fans...

Your thoughts?

((p.s.--I answered back that I thought David would be in the Top 10 in CTS points if he hadn't wasted his time with the Holigan team..Obviously, the opportunity that Holigan presented was wonderful for David, but considering the lack of support for the Busch team, I think David would have been better off just staying focused on trucks..then again, hindsight is 20-20, huh?))

i'm cheering for david every race- BUT- you can not call that wasting time...

it was a good education,even if he / we feel like the team was not up to par...

that, at the time was a big step for david...any seat time is good seat time...

and i'm so tired of hearing the what ifs and should ofs and could ofs for this year....david would'nt make excuse, so let's don't make any for him....just my opinion....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RobCarter88

He would probably be no better than he is today. Travis Kvapil is in his first year with Toyota and is doing much better that David. David has had more experience than Kvapil so why is it Kvapil has done better in a first time ride? David is a mid pack runner, and that is it. Hamilton, Setzer, Chaffin and Kvapil are the guys to bear in the Truck Series. I cant believe anyone would voice their opinion that a chance in the Busch series was a waste of time. Dont blame the team for Davids failure. The Drivers get the credit when they win, and the crap when they loose. Just my opinion.

No really RobertCarter88, don't hedge, no really, stop beating around the bush, no its ok, don't sugarcoat it, tell us what you really think. :lol:

Seriously, Whether you like a driver or not should not get in the way of making objective views about them. I get tired of people over stating their drivers case, its like He's my man and he's great, whether he is or not. I had never heard of David Starr before this website, and to say he would be top 10 well, I don't know. I do know that I got tired of people bashing Holigan Racing, (I never heard of them either) like it was their fault they didn't have more money, yayaya. Well if they had more money they would probably have a different driver. Not a knock on David, That's just business. The reason its so hard to beat the top doga and compete with them is that the TopDog gets the best equipment.

At the time the busch ride looked like a shot. But it's easy to get tunnel vision when you 'just want to race'. It is a team effort for everyone and if a link is missing no driver could put the car out front.

Seat time is important - definately. Unfortunately with the phrase 'Young Guns' floating around when a shot comes along at a certain age and not that frequent, I think anyone in his position would have done the same.

He is where he is on passion & communication skills alone. I personally think that is a HUGE accomplishment in itself to be racing on that level. Mid-pack runner at that level is a hell of alot better than local top runner to me. Especially if you put yourself there.

Enjoy the ride...... :D

I agree. That's part of the point I was making. It's ok to like a guy and be a fan of his, you don't have to over exagerrate(sp) his skills. All the wishing in the world won't make him any better than he is, and like you said, middle-packer at that level is better than topdog at the local bullring. If I sounded like I was agreeing that he's no good, well that's not what I meant. Heck, my favorite driver is probably Dale Jarrett. Very good on some tracks but not a top flight driver anymore, just mid-pack. By the way, just to finish pi$$ing everybody off, The 2 best wheelmen in Nascar at the present time are probably Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon. The save Stewart had in that last race was awesome.

David was Not the failure in the Busch team..The team was the failure--the crew chief was a moron..Yes, David Starr fans are naturally going to take up for him-but where's the team now that David left it?? They are Gone--they shut down--they were a Bunch of morons..David made no excuses, because Thats just David--he is a nice guy..The team was always way behind on schedule building the cars..Never got the car right--the crew chief refused to run the right set-ups. How can anyone Blame David not knowing the facts..I dont know All of the facts--But I know enough to say that David was not the failure.

So I totally agree with Chuck!

Guess that shows my quickness-to-jump to David's defense :rolleyes: --But I do still agree more with Chuck--David has had lots of seat time--especially at TMS..I still believe it was basically a waste of time--too much aggrevation to stay focused on winning that Championship where he wants to SO bad for Wayne and Connie Spears..If the Enzyte car had not been a Start-up team, that didnt know what the heck they were doing--then I would say that YES--the seat time would have been so very beneficial..Sorry if I jumped though..

Archived