Attention Drivers....Fire Protection.

L8Apex

Drivers, do yourself a favor....Invest in Nomex Underwear (long johns), Nomex LongSleeve shirt, and Nomex Balaclava (Headsock)...

Earnhardt's injuries could have been avoided had he been wearing Nomex underneath his driving suit...

You owe it to yourself to keep safe.....I'd hate to hear about someone Locally (Statewide) going thru the same ordeal...

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/nascar/12128/

Another bit, if ya'll can....Start a HANS device savings fund......I'm hearing more and more weekend warriors refusing to drive without one......yes they're pricey, hence the savings fund.....portion of winnings weekly goes to the HANS device fund...

you owe it to yourself, and those that love you.

anywhere from 800 to 1100...depending on where ya look...here's a quick link...

perhaps, if you get enough drivers together, one of your local motorsports supply shops could help with the price...

after all, if you stay safe, they stay in business...

maybe a group purchase could be in order...

here's a link, just to show prices...like i said, maybe one of the local shops could help out to get the cost down for local racers....i'm sure they'd help out....i know i would.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store.php?m=1...thisPage=1#1351

Another great safety device....From TeamTechMotorsports.....new Sternum strap safety system.....spreads the complete load of the belts over the whole chest...

Currently I use Schroth Profi 3 5 point Harnessess, have had the opportunity to use the TeamTech system.....night and day comfort and support difference between the two...able to cinch much tighter, without discomfort...really kicks arse.

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/racingh...ernumstrap.html

L8APEX

Your mention of a sternum device is questionable a while back DR. JERRY PUNCH and others had a problem with this saftey devive. It might save you from breaking your sterum but it also restricts the movement of the heart and can cause bruising which can be more dangrous than the broken sternum

L8Apex,

You see I would like one of these I have hit the wall 2-3 times really doing some major damage to the car and luckly not to myself (after 5 days of rest). So I dont know much about this but after looking at this site you sent it looks like you have to go with new seat belts also? The seat belts are another $400 ontop of the $900. Is this the case with the hans you have to run there seat belts to or will the seat belts allreay in car work?

L8APEX

Your mention of a sternum device is questionable a while back DR. JERRY PUNCH and others had  a problem with this saftey devive. It might save you from breaking your sterum but it also restricts the movement of the heart and can cause  bruising which can be more dangrous than the broken sternum

incorrect, it does not prevent sternum from damage.....they simply call it that because of its location.....basically it spreads the load across the entire chest, which is distributes pressure over a greater surface area...

so technically it isn't a sternum device, just merely spreads the load over a greater surface area....

but supertx, since i didn't see the Punch article, would you mind posting a link...I'd like to read about it....

there are several ALMS, SCCA World Challenge, GrandAmerican, and Porsche Supercup teams running this setup...

don't get me wrong, 5-6 point system is tried and true, nothing wrong with existing setups, just make sure their expiration date hasn't lapsed...

personally, if I were oval racing at the local level, i'd switch my harness out each year.....with heat, dust, dirt, etc etc etc...that we all know exists here in CC, or any tracks on the Romco circuit.....why take that chance....

L8Apex,

You see I would like one of these I have hit the wall 2-3 times really doing some major damage to the car and luckly not to myself (after 5 days of rest). So I dont know much about this but after looking at this site you sent it looks like you have to go with new seat belts also? The seat belts are another $400 ontop of the $900. Is this the case with the hans you have to run there seat belts to or will the seat belts allreay in car work?

depending on which belts you run....

some of the more popular road racing belts....

sabelt, schroth, willans, all have hans compatability....there is also an accesory kit for the helmet....can be installed on existing helmet

L8APEX

I have no article on the sternum latch just first hand knowledge from several years ago. Yes it spreads the load but what was happenning was that on a frontal impact the center of the chest would expand foward while shoulder belts were holding the shoulders breaking the sternum I think it was Kyle Petty or maybe Neil Bonnett that this happenened to again the worry was or is that the heart has know where to go and it would take the blunt of the force causing brusing.Im sure if you would like more information on this you can contact NASCAR safety research center in Hickory N.C.

L8APEX

I have no article on the sternum latch just first hand knowledge from several years ago. Yes it spreads the load but what was happenning was that on a frontal impact the center of the chest would expand foward while shoulder belts were holding the shoulders  breaking the sternum  I think it was Kyle Petty or maybe Neil Bonnett that this happenened to again the worry was or is that the heart has know where to go and it would take the blunt of the force causing brusing.Im sure if you would like more information on this you can contact NASCAR safety research center in Hickory N.C.

like I said...ALMS, World Challenge, Porsche Supercup, GrandAmerican Teams are using this setup....

this setup was just introduced last year....so i don't think its the same thing Punch was speaking of, and I definately know that Neil Bonnet didn't run this setup............

but the ALMS, World Challenge, Porsche Supercup and Grand AM tech stewards wouldn't allow it to pass if it wasn't FIA/SFI approved.....

The harness is SFI approved....

The incident you speak of (kyle petty, neil bonnet) is exactly the reason for the sternum strap.....to spread the load evenly, so shoulders don't stay back, while the chest expands forward......

Contact TeamTechMotorsports.com, they will get an engineer on the phone to discuss the findings of the tests if you have any further concerns or questions.

jeez, are you a freakin' salesman for them or what L8apex?

If not, If I need someone to nag me, I would ask my wife's opinion...And if I need someone to preach to me, I already know where to go (www.riverbend.com)...if I need to be neutured, I'll pm you and find out where you went.

L8apex

Don't no where you get your info but a sternum latch has been around for 10 years that I know of don;t need to call team who ever if i need the the correct info i will call simspon or impact racing .Thanks for your concern for our safety.

supertx, the previous device might have been called a sternum latch, this is a sternum strap, different than the one you are speaking of I believe, and is fairly new. Neil left us before this device was invented. No reason for any phone calls to be made, click on the link and research it. I think L8apex's whole point was the fact that there are great safety devices available and drivers dont use them, even though they just might save their life in a bad wreck.

I wear a head and neck, nomex, socks, shirt, etc...who said I didn't take it serious...I thought the original comment was condesending and he sounded like a shill...kma...

no one singled anyone out....if you wear it fine.....obviously there are those who get paid to do this for a living who don't......

lighten up...

L8apex

Don't no where you get your info but a sternum latch has been around for 10 years that I know of don;t need to call team who ever if i need the the correct info i will call simspon or impact racing .Thanks for your concern for our safety.

sternum latch and the Team Tech harness are two different items...

sternum latch....a single latch that holds the belts together, usually about 2 inches across...i know what a sternum latch is....pdf below...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pdfs/018.pdf

the Team Tech harness is not a Sternum Latch, but rather a complete vest that covers the whole chest....

different products we are talking about....

no i don't work for the company, just trying to spread some safety.....

if ya'll got it covered....great.

like i said, wouldn't want to see anyone local get hurt.....

just found it surprising, that Earnhardt Jr. doesn't wear any type of Nomex....that's how this all started.

earnhardt jr. was out fot a 30 minute prctice session. i am sure on race day he has all the nomex underwear etc. on haw many people do you know that put every bit of safety equipment on when they go out for "routine" (aint no such thing as routine)

anyways long story short put your safety gear on (all of it) every time you are on the track and i feel this might be something the tracks need to look into enforcing.

ive had second and third degree burns before and they are not fun i was wanting to bring my car out to THR in the next couple of weeks but will not till i have new safety gear

dale

Race tracks pretty much leave personal safety wear, devices, etc. up to each driver. NASCAR taught us that a long time ago in defending suits brought by relatives of drivers who were hurt, or worse. If a track mandated certain safety equipment and someone got killed while wearing it ... well, I guess you can see where I"m going with this.

However, every track owner, promoter and official wants their drivers to use the very best safety equipment available. Maybe we can't tell you what safety equipment to use, but we sure can encourage you to use the best there is.

I remember at SAS one year I inspected a driver's nomex suit. It looked like it had been soaked in grease and oil. I told him I didn't want him racing with that suit on and he said there was nothing in the rules that said his suit has to be clean.

But just before he was to go for practice, I called him over and asked him how his mother was. He told me. Then I asked how his father was. He told me. Then I asked him about the weather. And he looked at me like I was crazy and asked if this had anything to do with his driving suit. I told him that I couldn't stop him from burning himself up if he insisted on it, but that I sure could talk to him for a LONG time while everyone else was out on the track having fun. He got the idea, put the car on the trailer and came back the next week with a new triple layer suit with nomex undies and a new helmet.

Thanks L8Apex for reminding all of us that personal safety equipment should be at the very top of every driver's list.

Nick Holt

Your points make good sense Nick...certainly I too have been guilty of paying less attention to my safety equipment during practice, so I appreciate that reminder and JR's experience was not lost on me...If your words can save just one redneck, I suppose it was all worth it...but, I have to sign off now, all the love and thoughtfulness on this thread is making me tear up!!! Kumbayah and Mahalo my brother...

Archived