Low Car Counts!?!?

abrungot

Ok... Nick and All Forgive for me But this cat is curious.

I noticed with TPS at THR last night a real low car count, 14 I believe. And Romco.. at CC had 14 as well...

Could someone please enlighten me about why so many cars didn't show.

Don't need bashing or stupid stuff just real concerns.

Things i thought of like To far to travel, Broke(Car), Broke(wallet) are these the issues or are there other things.

Inquiring Mind would like to know.. especially from the no shows... (since that would be the horses mouth)

Two reasons here...just got back from 1 week in Cozumel!! No race track there, but driving on the streets there is just like racing! Second, truck still broke...hopefully together for this coming weekend!

Rick

PS Plus letting my hand/wrist heal... :D

ok, real easy answer here guys .... it is too $$$$$$$$$$ to try and race. All of us small budget, out of pocket,weekend warrior teams can't compete... the big money guys are making it not fun for the rest of us !!!!!!!

Money is important in racing, that's for sure. Like we used to say, "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

But you know what? A team with the knowledge and desire can still win even with very limited resources. To me, half the fun of racing was to beat the guys with money. We used to win with junk motors. Or should I say cheap motors.

There are several big factors in racing and winning that anyone who has been around racing for a long time knows.

1) Laps. Lots of seat time. There is no substitute.

2) Set up. Suspension engineering. Just doing the "trick of the week" is not enough. A thorough understanding of the physics involved is required unless you happen to luck into a "one track wonder" kind of setup.

3) A team that works together and is dedicated to winning is required.

4) Work. Lots of work. Hours and hours in the shop making the car better and better.

5) A reliable engine that is balanced to perfection and a carburetor that works the way it's supposed to.

If you have these basic elements you can win against teams with big money.

I don't want to embarrass anyone, but Rick Rapp used to win all the time against teams that had nearly unlimited resources. Rick had lots of laps under his belt, knew suspension engineering backwards and forward, had good people on his team, worked his butt off on his cars and made sure his low-buck engines worked up to their potential.

Nick Holt

I run in the Allison Legacy series, and am having to back off of racing to build a house (time AND money). My bigger point, here, is that I think more people should look at the Allison series, if cost is a prohibitive factor. I know the cars don't have the appeal, nor the "rush" of the big horsepower rockets. But they're a blast to drive, and relatively affordable. The tires are a very hard compound, so you can get a solid two races out of a set, and up to four races if needed. Also, the motors are sealed, so no having to keep up with the high dollar outfits to keep up. In addition, the motors are durable. I've been in the series three years, and have only seen one blown motor. Basic set-ups and quick change rear ends, make it all driver for end results. I'm sure if car count got up to 20-25, along with some experienced drivers, this would be the best, low cost, racing around.

Nick i would like to add a few things that you said, work, work ,work back not that many years ago the people that were hard core figured out different things to build and do to there cars now you can go buy everything. so somebody comes out with something new everybody has to have it which adds cost. Now im not taking a shot at any tracks or promoters but just about every form of racing is still racing for the same purses that we were racing for back in the 70's. With all the problems that non racing people are causing the tracks it's hard for anybody to make a profit that includes the tracks, racers, engine builders and everybody else thats makes or spends money in racing. YES it is a hobby but with the cost that goes with racing not everybody wants to keep throwing money into the hole.What's the answer I wish i knew but with 40years of being in racing I don't see it getting any better for anybody hobbiest or professionals.

if its money that makes it go, dont price your self out of the game. ccms. races on street tires for at least 500.0 to win. thats alot. and its made the car counts go up. more car count along with promoting the track has the fans there. i remember going to long horn speedway they ran on retreds lots of cars lots of fans. stock bodys. s.a. they had supper streets and latemodels 300.00 to win for s.s. 700.0 l.m. s.s. come on 300.0 for a class that takes 400. plus to win a week but had decent car count. then they cut the class, so if you cant afford to move up your [edited out by Nick Holt, 7/19/04]. how many new faces in the top class. not to many, how about a tire rule!!!!! if you pay they will come!!!!! do some promoting!!!!!

I just want to touch on the promote the track aspect...

Being that i was just in NH.. and there are a bunch of race tracks in the NH, VT, ME area.. there was tons of exposure.

There was one type of exposure that i don't hear down here that i heard up there. I will call it reverse Promotion.. I heard Businesses buying Radio ads, and promoting their racecar at a certain speedway... Saw the car out infront of their store.. and so on..

example:

"R&R Fireworks Proud sponsor of the #83 Cahoon Racing Late model at White Mountain Motorsports Park"

It caught my attention so much i actually remember it word for word!!!

I know sponsorship is hard to come buy.. but how many race cars have the Track website on the car, or how many businesses promote their efforts in the racing world.. I don't see many..

Promoting the Race track is not JUST the Track marketing teams job... Its everyone's your cars are rolling Billboards.. how many car's do you pass on the Interstate.. If they see your track on there.. and it sparks an interest they may show up.. you just have to tell them where it is.. So use your car to help the track not just show up....

Just an example.. and not sure if it is on all the cars.. but Terry T. and race team at THR have www.thunderhillraceway.com on the back of their cars... that is the kind of stuff we need to help promote tracks.. expecially at a grassroots effort like many short tracks have..

I have to agree racing is not cheep. There is no such thing as go to the junk yard and find a car that runs and race it.

We pay about 65.00 a tire. The Bomber class is far from a cheap class. I am very thankful that we have Great sponsors. We could not do it with out them.

We just decided to take a break this past weekend.

As far as reasons I beleive there is a low car count and a low fan count = Theres this big thing called the economy and its currently being drained by this guy named George Bush. :D

Oh and the tire thing. Well lets just say it does work our car is proof. I beleive we raced 4 or 5 races on this last set my Dad and I took off and we never finished worse than 6th. And they werent all new when we first put them on either. And the set we just put on arent all entirely new.

Theres this big thing called the economy and its currently being drained by this guy named George Bush.

While this isn't a political board, I think I should point out that it isn't George Bush, which shows your complete misunderstanding of politics. It is the left lead by our favorite alchoholic Teddy Kennedy. they block every economic reform of the republican leadership to help their own political agenda. Again, political agendas are what are worked on in Washington, not the will of the people. Don't like it? VOTE

I will get off my soap box now, but don't make me get back up one it! LOL

Archived