Hot Rod Hill - No races 7/17/04

dancer52

The latest I've heard is that their attorney wants to meet with Wayne's attorney before their court date on Thursday. We'll see what happens. Our next TOBA race is scheduled for there this weekend. Stephan has said that if the track doesn't open, we won't be racing this weekend. It would be considered a rain out.

From talking to an announcer friend from Rocky Mountain National Speedway(Denver) they are being forced to close because of noise issues also.

Funny thing is people moving into newly built $200,000 condos are directly across from the old airport, which still has daily flights out, and next to the Colorado Arsenal dumping grounds.

So the jerks are putting a track out of business for a little noise one or two nights a weeks. But are doing nothing about the noise from the airport or the toxic dump they live next to. Someone, PLEASE, explain the reasoning here!! :angry:

My biggest question/issue here is, if you move in by a race track, what do you expect. Why is it possible to put an established venue out of business, when they are the interlopers? Are they that dumb or am I missing something?

Supertx, you are right. Per the HRH message board the court date is now on the 29th, but there is suppose to be a mediation between the 26th & 28th. HRH will be closed again this weekend. Supposedly there was a petition against the track that has 73 signatures on it. HRH is working on it's own petition. Not sure of how many signature's they have yet.

Reb - I really don't understand this with HRH either. It is in an industrial zone. Why move into an industrial zone if you are not going to expect noise?

What a bull sh-t deal at HRH a hand full of people can shut a mans business down thats in the right place. What i see in the near future is all the race tracks and promotors having to hire lobbiest just like all other bussiness concerns. The one thing that i can see on the home owners side is that you have to finish the races at a decent time not 1 or 2 in the morning. Dancer at the drivers meeting a couple of weeks ago wayne was wanting people to write letters do you know anything about that ?

supertx - Wayne was wanting letters to proove to the court the positive impact that HRH has had. You can go to their message board on their web site HRH for some example letters of what people have sent. They are also getting petitions signed to keep the track open. I know that the #15 pure stock from HRH is going to be at Gator this weekend with the petition. The announcer from HRH is suppose to be in Waco (Heart O Texas I believe) with the petition on Friday.

ok.. question about Petition... From my knowledge the petition needs to be from the residents within the city/district of the court... just driver's and fan's from anywhere usually doesn't work that well... you have to have residents... its all about the voters....

what about drivers that travel to race to race there? we travel to your community and support your economy. not only do we buy food, fuel, and drink, but because we are traveling several hours from home , we would be staying over in local motel. we also contribute to a business that employs local residents.

we have had plans to race there and be able to visit our son attending A&M this summer. it would be a shame if the track does not re-open. i wonder if mufflers have been considered? i have run them in the past and do not have a problem with them.

besides college activities and sports, what else draws out-of -towners to Bryan / College Station?

Bobby Grobe

Modified 25

Corpus Christi, Texas

sfrebel, Besides HRH being closed, a couple other things influencing Gator's high car count are, Dundee Spwy. is closed and Battleground/Highlands Spwy. is closed, due to noise/curfew issues. They also held a big money race for hobby stocks and at Houston Raceway Park you need a lot different gearing for that bigger track and they don't run SIMS sanction for Limiteds(unless they've reconcidered this year)

catch22g - They do have a muffler rule. However, they were not pro-active in enforcing this rule. We raced there about 6 times last year & about 5 times so far this year. I think we were only teched once time for the muffler & that was after the race. I believe they are suppose to go to mediation sometime between yesterday & tomorrow. Their court date is scheduled for this Thursday. I'm sure they'll be able to re-open, but how soon depends on what is agreed upon between both sides.

If there was a muffler rule and the racers ignored it because the track wasn't teching them, whose fault is it when the neighbors get the track closed because of noise? Wayne gets the short end of the stick on this deal no matter what but it sounds like there are a few folks that should feel pretty low if their actions contributed to the problem.

The THR rule had some folks grumbling too but here is a prime example of why everyone needs to take a long look at what the big picture is.

The THR rule had some folks grumbling too but here is a prime example of why everyone needs to take a long look at what the big picture is.

1-Crew,

You are the master of understatement!

Instead of "grumbling" is was more like, "Thinking seriously about hanging Nick by his [edited by Nick Holt, 7/28/04] from the nearest mesquite tree," or, "Running that [edited by Nick Holt, 7/28/04] out of town with that dB meter of his shoved where the sun don't shine."

I wouldn't let the kids answer the phone there for a while.

But, in spite of all the complaining, we have only trailered a handful of cars since we got really serious about the noise earlier in the year. And for the past three weeks I haven't had to trailer anyone for not meeting the 96 dB rule.

Seriously, I really appreciate all the hard work that the teams have put into getting their cars to meet the rule. Hopefully, all their work will pay off in the long run.

Nick Holt

And the cars sound like hell and some of the excitment is gone. The folks in there trailer houses  are happy and the track is still there so what are they going to bitch about next traffic the hours where does it end ?

That's simply a matter of perspective and personal preference.

In fact, I have received far more positive feedback about the noise level from fans and drivers than critisizm. Many of the teams have found that a well designed muffler system actually adds to the performance of their cars. For instance, at the last TAMS race at THR, several of the teams qualified at, or below their existing track record. And several ROMCO teams reported faster lap times with the mufflers on than without.

And the folks in the mobile home park have every right to expect the track to do their best to control the noise level and get the program over at a reasonable hour. THR is simply being a good neighbors by enforcing the 96dB rule.

Nick Holt

Archived