Green/White/Checkered

RodneyRodriguez

what % of the time have positions 1,2 and 3 changed on green white checker vs. how many cars have been torn up on these deals?(with the trucks as a reference)

how many cars have been torn up going into turn one on lap one?

The point is, Nascar is giving the teams the opportunity to improve their finishing position.

That is better than getting an unexpected halt to your advancing your position through no fault of your own because a yellow was brought out by some spin or debris or oil.

Time will tell, but it is better than ending under yellow. IMO

That was "in the form of a question" as they say on Jeopardy.

Granted, I'm just picking a number out of the air, but what if the statistics showed that in 80% of green/white/checker finishes the top three positions didn't change and 78.3% of the time there was an accident?

IF the above was true, and you finished under yellow, the chances are 8 in 10 that it's the way it would have finished under green/white/checker AND you have reduced the 78.3% chance that there was going to be an accident to almost zero.

Just a "what if" for the discussion...

Jay

But . . . .

Racers take chances and they want that 2 in 10 chance to improve their position.

We always think that we can win or do better than we currently are, thats why we are racers.

However, If it finishes in caution, you just cruise around the track takin up time and gas. No, Nada, Zero, Zilch chance of improving your position under caution.

Unless the leader runs out of gas, but he would do that under green too. Because he certainly isn't going to pit. B)

The Winston Open (or whatever it is now) is a stock car race condensed down to 2 30 lap races and a 10 lap race. How much tin gets bent (as my granddad would say) at that level of time compression?

Is it unreasonable to assume that it would be even worse if The Winston was only 2 laps long?

Jay

The announcers for the Truck race last night said that 1 out of 11 (4 out of 44) GWC finishes ended up having a yellow leading to at least 1 more GWC...

It happened last night...There ended up being 4 GWC's...Shane Hmiel would have won had there only been one GWC...he lost it on the second, taking out 1st (himself) and 2nd (Bobby H)...Buy the time it was said and done, the 4th place truck before the 1st GWC won on a bump and run in the last corner.

after seeing craftman race last nite-and the way nascar is-the cup guys will whine and cry -and they will probably rethink the green/white/checker issue-i hope not-cause that was a hell of a finish-

I personally dont like it, there will be too many torn up cars as a result of this rule. As a fan i want a good finish as much as the next guy, but I also know the kind of work that goes into these cars as well as most here do. I want to see racing not a demo derby

• 2 weeks later...

On WindTunnel last nite, a caller had a good suggestion.

If Cup needs to go to the Green/White/Checkered situation, all cars a lap or more down need to park their cars - their race is done and scored. Only the cars on the lead lap fight it out. Would keep some cars from getting wrecked needlessly and have better probability that the one attempt for G/W/C leads to a finish under race conditions.

Then tonight on WindTunnel, some idiot called in complaining that if all cars that were only one lap down were parked, and then a yellow came out during the green, white, checker, that those guys would lose their chance of getting back on the lead lap.

Only question I had to that was: Doesn't the dumb a$$ lucky dog rule only give the first car a lap down his lap back anyway??

I agree with parking all the lap cars during the green, white, checker. Like Larry said, the probability of their being a wreck would almost be cut in half depending on how many cars are still on the lead lap. But Nascar doesn't even let the guys race anymore. Too many stupid rules.

I disagree with setting all the cars out that are one lap down or more. Why should their positions be locked by the caution? Those guys back there are points racing too. Johnson, Jr or Gordon could be one of those cars...they need every point they can get. Why are so many in this thread concerned about wrecks in the GWC scenario? Nextel Cup has the best drivers and teams in the world. They are there to race and they know there is always potential for a wreck. If any of the Nextel Cup teams were concerned about wrecks then they should load their "race" car up and take it to a car show. Champ 1796, I like to see good racing too, rather than wrecks, especially for the local Saturday night short track guys. But again, we are talking about the highest form of stock car racing here. These teams have 5, 10, maybe 20 cars back at the shop. Yes there is a lot of work that goes into working on cars, but they have 40-50 people on a team. Lets get over the wrecks. JMO, if GWC, then all cars stay on the track.

How would a lapped car be in the way with a green/white/checkered?

Don't they start them single file after the race has less than 10 laps to go?

So, what would be the odds that a lapped car would get in the way at this point?

Unless it was a short track and the car was going really slow they might become a factor in the outcome, but then Nascar has the rule that you have to maintain a certain speed.

I don't think putting the lapped cars out at that point is a good thing or a needed thing.

Just my thoughts.

Archived