Tracy Tschoerner survives crash at THR

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 13, 2004

Tracy Tschoerner survives crash at Thunder Hill Raceway

Fortunately for Tracy Tschoerner, the car she races each Saturday night at Thunder Hill Raceway may be a little worse off than the 17-year-old senior at Taylor High School.

Tschoerner, who drives the #11 Taylor Auto Parts Chevrolet, started the Capital City Trade & Technical School Hobby Stock feature race at Thunder Hill Raceway last Satuday night (July 10) with 10 other drivers.

But the night quickly ended for Tschoerner, the daughter of THR A-Line Auto Parts Street Stocks driver Terry Tschoerner and neice of CCTTS Hobby Stock driver Joseph Tschoerner. After completing the first lap, Tschoerner’s car came off the front straightaway into Turn One. The car got away from the younger Tschoerner and headed straight for the infield fence.

“She hit the exit pad first, and the car went airborne for a second,’ explained Terry Tschoerner, Tracy’s father. “Inside the car, the seat belts kept Tracy secure, but when Tracy was thrown up in the air for a second, the helmet came off when it rubbed against back of the seat, and the helmet dropped into Tracy’s lap. Seconds later, the car slammed against the infield fence, and Tracy’s face hit her helmet. She hit her mouth on the helmet, giving her some cuts on her lips.”

Terry Tschoerner continued, “The car just didn’t look right out on the track (at the start of the feature race). I think that whatever happened started at the beginning of the race. Her car was pushing up (the track) early on, and I was surprised about that. The master (brake) cylinder went out in practice, and we replaced it before the feature race. So, she probably had that on her mind when the car went out of control, and that’s probably why she didn’t hit the ‘kill’ switch in the car (which would completely shut off the engine).”

Tschoener revealed that they took Tracy to John’s Community Hospital in Taylor on Sunday. “The doctors did a CT scan and exam, and the results for a concussion were negative. The doctors told her she has bruised muscles but no fractures.:

Tschoerner concluded, “Actually, (Tracy’s) car has less of a chance to run (this) Saturday than Tracy. It’s got very severe frame damage and it will take us a lot of time to get the work done. Tracy’s ready to go; we’ll have to wait and see if the car is ready.”

That is pretty scary to hear. Kinda sounds like what happened in San Antonio this weekend with the helmet coming off.

Hey as long as Tracy is ok or will be very soon then that is what matters. I know Dad will work hard on getting the car ready again.

I hope for a fast recovery for both drivers that had helmets come off of them this weekend.

Archived