San Antonio Speedway July 10th Race Recap

GoGirl

At San Antonio Speedway this past Saturday night, the ladies were first to hit the track for their 8 lap Women On Wheels feature event. Ann Freudiger was all dressed up (in her driver's uniform) with somewhere to go.....and that somewhere was victory lane. As the race began, Missy Jones started on the pole. Freudiger and Kelly Earnhardt (in the borrowed car of Irish O'Leary) started second and third. Freudiger really strutted her stuff finishing 2 laps ahead of Jones. Earnhardt finished the night in the pits.

Fifteen cars were on tap for the 40 lap Late Model main event. Mark Ackerman, who started on the pole, lost it on the very first lap in turn 1. It had the look of the "BIG ONE". Luckily, all made it through except Larry Bendele who pitted with slight damage. On the restart, Wesley McGuffin was on the pole followed by Jesse Salazar, Jason Smith, Danny Garcia, James Cole and Robert Barker. Cole was clobbering the competition and moved into the lead on lap 6. Bendele didn't let his trip to the back of the pack deter him one bit. He knows every inch of this track and on lap 19 overtook Cole on the high side for the top spot. With 13 laps remaining, the yellow flag flew when Michael Lampton and Greg Meuth tangled in turn 3. Cole, who had been losing ground, took this opportunity to pit. As racing resumed, Cole was making a charge from the rear when he and Donny Horelka made contact causing the right front tire of Cole's car to let go. This sent Cole's car careening violently into the turn 1 wall. He was transported to a local hospital. Bendele went on to win with Barker, Garcia, Smith and Horelka next to cross the stripe.

Michael Odom and John Kelly Jr. had front row starting positions in the Road Runners main event. The yellow flag came out on lap 2 when Greg Rohmer spun out due to a flat right rear tire. As the field resumed racing, Odom was in the lead with Kelly Jr. glued to his bumper. Ann Freudiger's hopes of winning two main events went upside down when she flipped her racer on the front stretch. At that point due to time constraints, the race was shortened to 5 laps to go. As Kelly Jr. was attempting to pass Odom for the lead, they became hooked together. This sent Kelly Jr. very hard into the wall at the back gate. Once again the race was shortened to a green, white and checkered flag finish. Irish O'Leary survived this crash filled event for the win followed by Roy Bernal, Odom and Jason Kelly.

The Texas Pro Sedans were next on the schedule making their second appearance of the year at SAS. Donnie Moore and Bill LaBarge started on the front row followed by Tony Johnson, Mike Knotts and Bryce Dishman. Moore took the lead with LaBarge staying within shouting distance. Dishman and Jamie Garner were stout moving into third and fourth by the halfway mark. With 6 laps remaining, LaBarge powered past Moore. The yellow flag came out when Candy Hogan spun out with just two laps remaining. On the restart, Moore had the pedal to the metal and breezed past LaBarge for the win. Dishman, Garner and Knotts filled out the top five spots.

Let's get ready to rumble in the Sportsman division. In one corner there is Eric Knudtson....winner of two features. In the other corner there is Justin Oates....winner of five features. Leading into this event they are tied in the championship chase with 443 points. They rolled out onto the track ready to go 25 rounds. Garfield Shanklin led the field followed by Vince Trietch, Tom Casey, Tater Mason, Oates and Knudtson. It didn't take very long for Oates and Knudtson to knock out their competitors one by one to run 1-2. As the laps wound down, Knudtson gave it his best shot, but had to settle for second place. Oates took the win and the points lead. Mason, Casey and Trietch duked it out to round out the top five positions.

Congratulations to all of our winners and wishes for a speedy recovery go out to James Cole!

Just wanted to say hey and have been missing your recaps. It makes it easy to understand what happens in the races.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Lloyd

Go Girl:

Thanks for including the Texas Pro Sedans in your recap of our race which was held last Sunday morning at San Antonio Speedway. The TPS race had been an all green flag event until we had the one yellow with two laps remaining.

We will see you October 16th for our last race.

Neil Upchurch

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

hello people im back was on vacation . so what happened in s.a. with the pro sedans i see dishman was the top finishing ford . but i see he finished third . how far back was he from the top two guys . oh i heard there was some crying too something about donnie jumping the start . well i dont know about anyone else but if the green flag drops it means go . and if the guy in front dont wanna move you go around him . well i wonder how long its going to be until they finally give help to the fords . and stop slowing them down .

crt racing

steven

CRT - "They" did!.

Check with Lalo. He is happy with it. So is #6 Tony Johnson. So is #7 Jesse Sandoval.

Either read or have someone read you the TPS Race Recap in TSZ results.

Then talk to Lalo. Have him read you Technical Bulletin #2.

Then stop complaining. I only listen to TPS members. You are not a member.

Neil Upchurch

I would like to say something regarding the TPS. I have only been going to SAS since last year. I am hoping to race there soon but I have had to put racing on the back-burner while I am trying to get my own business going. I grew up around stock-car racing and I have taken many friends to SAS. Just wanted to establish that I'm not some dumba$$, don't know nothing about racing bleacher monkey. I along with every friend I took took to the races agree with leveling out the fords. Last year I saw several TPS races and it was probably the single most un-entertaining, boring, excuse for racing I have ever seen. Well, with the exception of the bicycles last year :D . Anyway, watching 2 or three mustangs whine around the track and lap the field in 4 laps on a 20 lap race is about as entertaining as watching paint dry. The only thing worth watching was which mustang would take out which one, allowing the 27 BMW to get second or third. Anyway, thanks for evening out the rules.

PS

It doesn't matter if fords didn't get as many years of dominance. The idea is that drivers and car-builders achieve dominance. Not certain kinds of cars. Otherwise it will just look like IROC. 12 camaros or dodge lazers or horse and buggies.

JMO

Rookie 49

You have hit the nail right on the head.

The TPS rules writers also don't want to see one make dominate either as per your comment about last year watching three Fords pass slower cars on lap four.

We have attempted to address that issue in the 2004 TPS Rules, in Technical Bulletin # 1 on May 1 and in Technical Bulletin # 2 on July 11, 2004.

The continuing negative and uninformed comments by CRT Racing (otherwise known as Steven Carpenter, a confirmed Ford man from Corpus Christi) doesn't do anybody any good either. He would like for TPS Officials to award the first place trophy to a Ford driver before the race even starts.

We are not going to do that.

Since you wittnessed the TPS race at SAS on July 10 and 11, I think you will have to agree that the fine tuning of TPS rules has produced a corrective effect in creating equity in competition between the top drivers in the best prepared different makes of cars.

The race last week was not boring. It had all you wanted in close racing with #70 VW Scirocco being pushed closely by #27 BMW who was passed by #6 Ford Mustang and then contested for the lead (only to fall back due to a plug wire disconnecting) just in time to see BMW pass VW Scirocco for the lead and then #70 re-pass #27 for the win. Lets not forget #1 Ford Mustang squeezing by #33 VW 2001 VW by 4 inches at the finish line for 3rd & 4th.

We will continue on our 29 year course in spite of non-TPS member Steven Carpenter's comments.

Thanks for you interest in TPS.

Neil Upchurch

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

well it looks like im really getting under neils skin . neil why does this bug you so much. and yes i did hear that the fords can now use a different restrictor plate to help them run with the other cars . see so no matter what you think you have now relized you was wrong . that you did slow the fords down to much. and it really bugs you to know i was right huh . neil i like the pro sedans if i didnt i wouldnt have run with you guys so many times .i know its hard all i want is a even playing field . we fought this same thing at corpus christi speedway . its a tough job . well guys go fast and turn left good luck crt racing

\steven carpenter

I was at the TPS race at SAS and it was my understanding that the Ford's

could run a 350 cfm holley un-restricted or 500 cfm with 38mm plate.

I believe the # 6 car ran a 350 cfm and appeared to be very fast. The # 1 car

with a 38 mm webber and held his own and the # 2 car had problems.

The # 6 car did challenge for the lead but appears to have had a plroblem.

now I am not sure if the # 70 or # 27 held back ,but they did appear to leave the 3rd and 4th place cars behind. I think if the 1 , 2, 6 ,26 cars get a

grasp on their set-ups with the 350 cfm they just might make it a good race.

I would also say that the #70 & #27 cars should be monitored closely,

because from the stands they appeared to be sand bagging.

just my thoughts

24fan

I don't agree with your assumption that the #70 & #27 might have been "sand bagging". These two past TPS Champions were racing for the win. You can't "sand bag" when you are in competition that heavy.

I will agree with you and confirm that:

* All cars may now use an un-restricted Holley 350cfm.

* #6 used his Holley 500cfm with 38x38mm restrictor plate in practice, but changed to a 350 for his Heat Race in which he placed a close second. He liked the 350 option and used it in the Feature Race too. After he had passed #27 for Feature second running position and as he attempted to pass #70, a spark plug wire disconnected and he pitted.

* #1 again opted to use his Weber 38x38mm carb.

* #2 continued to have season-long engine problems shortly after unloading from his trailer.

Notes: All TPS cars are "monitored closely".

#26 missed the race last week at SAS due to sickness, but advises that he'll be at THR July 17 with a much better 350 than he had there on June 19.

All TPS entrys have been advised by my email of even more strict 96db measuring methods at THR. Lets hope they read the warning and come equipped to deal with not failing inspection and being disqualified by THR. If they are not allowed to race, TPS Officials can't compare competition.

Thanks for your interest in TPS,

Neil Upchurch

Race Director

Texas Pro Sedans

I can assure everyone that there is a big dent in the floorboard under Bill's right foot. I'll bet there is a similar dent under Donnie's right foot as well. It is good to have close racing again, no one likes a freight train.. If only Bill hadn't collected some marbles during that late race yellow..

97 Car

#26 ran with his own Holley 350 in practice and his qualifying heat, in which he placed 2nd. He didn't like the way his 350 performed and borrowed #1's 38x38mm Weber just before the Feature race and as you stated correctly, placed 3rd.

He has obtained a "better 350" for July 17 at THR and believes his Mustang should be right up front.

See you at Thunder Hill Raceway.

Neil

Archived