THR Grand Marshall 7/17/04: Casey Smith

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

July 9, 2004

Austin’s own Casey Smith to be THR Grand Marshall

Austin native and current American Speed Association (ASA) driver Casey Smith has confirmed he’ll be the Grand Marshall for Saturday’s Race Night at Thunder Hill Raceway (THR), located at exit 210 off IH-35 in Kyle.

Smith, who currently sits 9th in the ASA points standings, is a local favorite who should feel right at home Saturday night, since the ROMCO Super Late Model series is running at THR this Saturday. Smith, 19, has run in the ROMCO series throughout his illustrious 14-year racing career.

“It’s great to have Casey as our Grand Marshall,” said THR Marketing/PR/Media Director Chuck Licata. “A lot of Central Texas racing fans have seen Casey race in several divisions – Quarter Midgets, Legends, ROMCO and others – and they’ve followed his career with a high level of interest. We’ve had him on The Motorsports Zone (Sunday mornings on KVET-AM 1300) several times and he always gets a lot of phone calls and draws a lot of interest when he sits in with us.”

Licata added, “When I started the Grand Marshall program at Thunder Hill this year, Casey was one of the first people I thought I’d like to have as a Grand Marshall. We’re happy that his busy schedule will allow him to perform those honors this Saturday. In fact, his busy schedule is why this announcement is such a ‘last-minute’ announcement.”

Smith - who will join his father, Glen, and show hosts Chuck Licata and Ric Clark on The Motorsports Zone this Sunday (10-11 a.m. Central time) – is a 2003 graduate of Bowie High School in south Austin.

Smith was born on April 20, 1985 in Austin to Glen and Kathy Smith. He’s grown up in the same house where he spent most of his childhood roaming the five acres on a go-kart, motorcycle, or 4-wheeler; whatever would go fastest.

Smith made his debut in the American Speed Association in May of 2002 just after his 17th birthday. Smith piloted a pair of Hamke-built Chevrolet Monte Carlos in limited schedules in the 2002 and 2003 seasons. Robert Hamke helped guide Casey to two top-ten and 7 top-twenty finishes in 12 starts including a career-best 3rd place finish at Lanier Motor Speedway.

Smith has three championship trophies to his credit: the 1997 Quarter Midget Grand National Title; the 1999 Legends Car National Points Championship (Semi-Pro Division); and the 2000 Legends Car National Asphalt Championship (Pro Division)

Hey gang..

Unfortunately, the press release doesn't make it very clear, but Casey will actually join Augie from Budweiser as co-Grand Marshalls for TONIGHT'S (July 10) races...

I apologize for the mistake.

Chuck L.

Archived