Where's your voice?

ChuckLicata

Hey gang...

This is meant to be a constructive suggestion...so, please take it that way and don't be offended.

But, right now, the NBA is done with its season (finally)..college football and the NFL don't start for another 2 months..and, no one cares about the NHL.

So...that means the ONLY things going on right now are Major League Baseball and Auto Racing/NASCAR!! :D:D:D

Yet, when I turn on KVET-AM, The Zone (the all-sports station in Austin), what do I hear the sports radio show hosts talking about? FOOTBALL!!!!

:o:(:angry: UGH.. :huh:

There's no question that race fans are passionate about their sport. Just check out the posts here on TSZ. But....where are those fans when it comes to talking about their sport OUTSIDE their own circles?? Where is your voice?? Remember when myself, Nick and others begged you to send in emails to your local sports editor and local media, asking them to step up their coverage in local and national auto racing--have you done that lately?

Things at THR are obviously getting better...our attendance continues to increase at a slow but steady rate. And for that, we're VERY thankful...

However, it's time for local race fans across the state to take their love of the sport to the next level. We're like a scattered army--we have our "pockets" of strength, but the mainstream public and media doesn't hear from us--we're not even a blip on their map.

Time for a new mindset here, folks. Step up your emails and letters to the local sports stations. Start calling in to your local sports station--get them to QUIT TALKIN' ABOUT FREAKIN' FOOTBALL, WHICH IS STILL 2 MONTHS AWAY! If you don't talk to them about racing, they don't know we exist! And be aware..most of the hosts will probalby say, "Well, we don't know about auto racing" and keep your call short. However, if people keep calling in about auto racing, then they'll have NO CHOICE but to finally start talking about it..there's POWER IN NUMBERS!!

Again, just a suggestion..

p.s.--it's 7:35 a.m. and I'm listening to the Zone. A guy just called in to talk about UT Football Coach Mack Brown and the UT-Oklahoma game...ugh..how frustrating (especially since that game isn't until Oct. 9th)! :(:angry:

and, no one cares about the NHL

Careful there big guy. That sounds like a uninformed stereotype to me.

I care about the NHL, the AHL, UHL, ECHL, CHL and the NAHL. And perhaps even the WHA, if it ever gets going.

Also have a soft spot in my heart for the Kerrville YMCA Roller Hockey League.

Most people don't care for hockey because they don't understand it. They don't understand the nuances of the game, the skill involved, or the tatics of the game. But most people I take to a game for the first time usually end up fans.

Kinda like racing, misunderstood, and woefully under-appreciated.

Hockey is what gets me thourgh the long cold winter while waiting for the tracks to thaw out.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Coach of the 2004 Kerrville Roller Hockey League Champions, The Stars!

Hardest working annuncer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

Most people don't care for hockey because they don't understand it. They don't understand the nuances of the game, the skill involved, or the tatics of the game.

What is there to understand about hockey? You hit the little round thingy with a crooked stick then look for somebody from the other team to beat the crap out of.

SVCMNGR1

What is there to understand about hockey? You hit the little round thingy with a crooked stick then look for somebody from the other team to beat the crap out of.

That is the heart of Chuck's point.

Lets turn it around.

What is there to understand about racing? All you do is drive as fast as you can around and around in circles until either the flag waves or someone knocks you into the wall. Just a bunch of redneck hillbillies crashing there junk cars. :o

If people aren't educated about the sport, then ASSUMPTIONS kick in and that is all they ever will think about it.

Just as there is a lot more to hockey than beating the crap out of someone, there is a bunch more to racing than driving fast.

And until we (lovers of racing) take the time to educate the masses, they will stay away forever. So what Chuck is saying, and I agree whole heartily with him, is it is up to US to talk about racing.

Promotors and track operators can only do so much in educating the uninitiated. If we who love the sport can't take up the slack, then nobody ever will. And racing contiunes to be overlooked by the masses.

There Chuck, did I do that well?

:lol:

C ya'll at the races.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

That is the heart of Chuck's point.

Lets turn it around.

What is there to understand about racing? All you do is drive as fast as you can around and around in circles until either the flag waves or someone knocks you into the wall. Just a bunch of redneck hillbillies crashing there junk cars. :o

If people aren't educated about the sport, then ASSUMPTIONS kick in and that is all they ever will think about it.

Just as there is a lot more to hockey than beating the crap out of someone, there is a bunch more to racing than driving fast.

Sarge,

You got it, right on bro!!

And just for the record...I grew up in PA, right on the border of the Philadelphia Flyers/Pittsburgh Penguins dividing line (I am still a Pens' fan)..so, as Sarge said, mis-conceptions and mis-UNDERSTANDINGS about racing AND hockey leave those sports out as "hot topics" of discussion in the media and in the general public.

It's up to US race fans to generate discussion about Auto Racing in venues where racing is looked on as a "redneck's" sport.. :D

It's a sad thing - and it has really hurt our Texas drivers that have great talent. Texas is and has been - and sadly, probably always will be a "Football " focused state. Time after time I have sent in the advertising demographics, requested more info articles on racing events etc. And time and time again - I do not read an article written by a local reporter but a "News Flash" article that is the exact same damn article that ran in some small corner of every damn paper that is just a snipit released by Nascar or the track. Unfortunately - all we hear about on TV is going to be Terry/Bobby, AJ, AJ iv or Larry Foyt. If they dont realize they are the best AND are from Texas - then it's their loss.

Complaining wont hurt - b/c they know you are still buying their stuff or listening b/c you call to complain. The best way to get back is to keep sites like this up and yell louder and harder when ANY DRIVER - yes thats ANY DRIVER from TEXAS gets promotion out of state. Yes- it's a competion, and you might not care for them or whatever. Have that Texas Pride and make the biggest deal you can to get the word out that " THAT DAMN DRIVER IS FROM TEXAS!!!!! "

After all, everything is Bigger, Better and FASTER in Texas ... we know that - who cares if they dont? That element of surprise is on our side.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP TEXAS RACE FANS & DRIVERS - THERE IS NO ONE ELSE LIKE US!!!

Nick-Sorry about this - But he started it.

Chuck--

Since I met you, I always thought you were an [edited byNick Holt, 7/10/04]. How dare you say that nobody cares about the NHL? I say nobody cares about your mouth and/or your show and/or your commercials, which without the best track in S. Texas backing you no one would pay any attention. Yea, I said backing you. As best as I can tell no one would "know" you if it were not for THR.

I'm not even going to go into your comment about the NHL, because it doesn't even deserve a "direct" response.

"WHERE'S YOUR VOICE?"

Why is it, the only time I see a post from you on TSZ is when you have something of your own to promote?

Passionatly Yours,

Father of a USAHockey player, Former IIHF (Internatiional Ice Hockey Federation) Player,

and USAHockey Member

ps... Go AVS!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, LegacyByStander, there are PLENTY of people who will read, applaud, agree with and enjoy your post. In fact, maybe you'll open the floodgates of criticism against me and everyone who wants can do some "Chuck bashing." I'm sure there are PLENTY of folks who would join in... :D

In fact, I agree with you, to a point. I used to be very self-promotional and out only for myself. And if you think I am still that way, then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

However, the hockey comment aside, think about this---how could the subject of this thread be viewed as self-promotional? I'm trying to encourage race fans to let the local media and/or mainstream public know that auto racing is alive and well, and we want them to hear about it and talk about it.

As for the comment that "no one cares about the NHL," that was a broad perspective based on media coverage only. As stated, I'm a hockey fan myself. I don't know where you live, LegacyByStander, but I know that in most towns here in Texas, hockey and auto racing have to beg/plead for a decent amount of coverage by the mainstream media (thankfully, the Dallas Stars do bring some attention to the NHL).

And just so you know..I covered several high school hockey games for the community newspapers up here in NW Austin; and back in Pennsylvania, I negotiated a radio contract for an off-season high school development league back in 1996-97.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, okay all, I too have daily and weekly conversations with Mr. Licata on our differences of opinion however I must defend Chuck and here is why:

Chuck has worked very hard behind the scenes to get where he is today, the persona you see at the track is by no means what he is really like. I could name more than a few personalities (radio and television) who have a seperate attitude on air (and mike) than off air.

I watched Chuck hound the radio station for years to get a motor sports show going to benefit us race fans and local race personalities. I have even worked with him to obtain sponsors for many of our local race car drivers (and more times than not on our own $$$) Chuck's monthly phone bill would astound you with all the calls to get interviews for the radio show, which I hope are enjoyed by the listeners.

True, Thunderhill is one of Chuck's many employers but did you know that before the beginning of this season, Chuck and Brian Callaway agreed to put aside their past differences and work together for the common good of local racing fans, drivers and tracks. And believe me, that action alone earned my ultimate respect of Brian and Chuck.

Yes, Chuck is very aggressive when he tries to get things done, but he GETS THINGS DONE.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I only asked to make a informed opinion. Remember this:

The Titanic was sunk by the size of iceberg that they could not see

my .02

Christy <_<

Just to clarify things a bit.

My quip about hockey to Chuck was basically a joke. A dig if you will

Chuck used to work for the San Antonio Iguana's, the former CHL team. I know he loves hockey.

Chuck and I like to fire shots at each other from time to time. We are both "high ego" personalities. I consider him a friend. I have the highest respect for Chuck and what he had done for the sport of auto racing, especially local racing here in Texas. I would be proud to say I have accomplished half of what he has, but I haven't.

And to bash him for self promotion is a bit hyprocritical. No one pushes for anything that doesn't benifit them, or interest them in some way. Think about it. Who sings the praises of Lawn Bowling? Why? Cause you have no self interest to do so.

So, Chuck, I am sorry that my attempt to tweak your nose resulted in you getting bashed. It was not my intention, but I will accept the responsibility for it.

I agree with what Chuck says in his post. Totally.

Again, sorry that my attempt to rib a friend resulted in his getting bashed.

Hope you have a great race tonight Chuck, wish I could be there to see it.

Bill "Sarge" Masom

Hardest working race announcer in Texas! Have microphone, will travel.

Archived